Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people that have put tall bars on their roadmaster. I the midrise ones indian offers are to low. Looking at Dirty Bird, but they don't have cables. As anyone put on after market bars? If so, what are they, where did you get the cabling and do ya got pics??? Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I put the mid rise bars on, then wanted a little more so I used Rox Risers, got the bars where I wanted. Had to re-route the clutch cable and remove the uppermost brake line clamp. This gave the front brake line just long enough but still a little tight with the bars turned all the way left. So I ordered an extended brake line from Spiegler. Little did I know how big of a pain in the ass it is to replace the front brake line. So I am going to wait until I pull the rear wheel for the next tire change, probably later this year when I put the bike up for the winter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried a RM that had the high bars, but didn’t care for them....just had the mid rise bars installed and like them so far.
My biggest problem is I've had major shoulder surgery, so low bars really cause a lot of pain. I had 14s on my Ultra Limited that I traded in on my Roadmaster. The Mid rise bars just are not high enough.

·
Rider
548 Posts
My biggest problem is I've had major shoulder surgery, so low bars really cause a lot of pain. I had 14s on my Ultra Limited that I traded in on my Roadmaster. The Mid rise bars just are not high enough.
I hear you on the shoulder...three time dislocated mine playing ball...low bars rip me up after 50 miles....mid rise feel pretty good to me so far, the ape hangers just felt odd to me but can see where they may help others.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If you go with mid-rise or KST bars with the Rox risers, you can get the grips up over the top of the fairing. I have mine rotated down a bit, as I have T-Rex arms. As you can see in the pics, I still have around 4 or 5 inches of space between the fairing and bars if I wanted or needed to move them up. Since taking the pics, I have rotated the bars down another inch or so, more in line with the top of the fairing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure I'm going to go with KST with an 8 in rise. Only issue is that I'm gonna have to recable. Guess I'll have to order custom cables. Where you able to use all stock, or did you have to recable also?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Pretty sure I'm going to go with KST with an 8 in rise. Only issue is that I'm gonna have to recable. Guess I'll have to order custom cables. Where you able to use all stock, or did you have to recable also?
I have the 6" rise, so I was able to use the stock cables. I had to adjust the slack in the brake line by loosening the clamp at the frame, and reroute the clutch cable in front of the triple tree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Kitulu, I have the Trask 14" bro bars on my RM but they don't sit as high as your's, which is were l want them. Do you think the Rox risers will bring them up?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hey Kitulu, I have the Trask 14" bro bars on my RM but they don't sit as high as your's, which is were l want them. Do you think the Rox risers will bring them up? View attachment 574895
They should. The Rox Risers bring the bars more towards you, which moves the grips away from the fairing. One of the issues that I was having prior to re-installing* the Rox Risers was that I was having trouble clearing the touring console that I had installed. In order for the bars to clear the console, I had to move the bars so far up that the brake lever was almost touching the speaker grill. With the risers installed, there is more room to move the bars up and down.

*I say "re-installed" because I had the risers with my stock bars, and removed them because the Apache/Mayhem bars were reputed to have more pullback. While they do have more pullback than stock, the "midrise" puts my hands further apart, so I still needed the extra pullback from the risers, as well as being able to move the grips down a bit more to my liking and still clear the touring console.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They should. The Rox Risers bring the bars more towards you, which moves the grips away from the fairing. One of the issues that I was having prior to re-installing* the Rox Risers was that I was having trouble clearing the touring console that I had installed. In order for the bars to clear the console, I had to move the bars so far up that the brake lever was almost touching the speaker grill. With the risers installed, there is more room to move the bars up and down.

*I say "re-installed" because I had the risers with my stock bars, and removed them because the Apache/Mayhem bars were reputed to have more pullback. While they do have more pullback than stock, the "midrise" puts my hands further apart, so I still needed the extra pullback from the risers, as well as being able to move the grips down a bit more to my liking and still clear the touring console.
Thank you Kitulu, can you please give the riser information size ect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m looking to add a 6+ set of bars from KST Kustoms in Georgia. These bars keep the original throttle n brake cables and are 6 inches higher than stock. Look good in the pictures, I just wondered if the higher bars help with hands getting numb? Have any of You had taller bars to help with this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have the same issue with the 6in bars. Just not as bad. But my throttle hand still goes numb. I have 14s onn a 4in riser on my Harley. And I have no problem at all with numbness there. I've been told a an Indian dealer that Klockwerks is planning on making taller bars with cabling. But that was a year ago. The guy at my local Indian dealer told me today he heard Dirty Bird is going to do the same thing. I have to go up to at least a 10in rise due to my shoulder. Good luck on it all. Post pics when your done!

I’m looking to add a 6+ set of bars from KST Kustoms in Georgia. These bars keep the original throttle n brake cables and are 6 inches higher than stock. Look good in the pictures, I just wondered if the higher bars help with hands getting numb? Have any of You had taller bars to help with this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 8+ on mine ,no numbness and handle's well. View attachment 600583
Those bars look GREAT! I just called ReX and they are in Sturgis. Hope to add the 6+ on my 17 Roadmaster after they get back to Georgia. My hands go to sleep and I hope these tall bars end that problem. My former bike had 4 inch risers and the numbness was less noticed. Thanks for the picture of Your Beautiful RM and the info. Safe Riding!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still have the same issue with the 6in bars. Just not as bad. But my throttle hand still goes numb. I have 14s onn a 4in riser on my Harley. And I have no problem at all with numbness there. I've been told a an Indian dealer that Klockwerks is planning on making taller bars with cabling. But that was a year ago. The guy at my local Indian dealer told me today he heard Dirty Bird is going to do the same thing. I have to go up to at least a 10in rise due to my shoulder. Good luck on it all. Post pics when your done!
Thundercat on here has the 8+bars made by KST Kustoms. He said his hands don’t go to sleep. The picture looks Great! KTS Kustoms says with anything over the 6+ You need to lengthen the brake lines and throttle lines, and I don’t care to do that now. I think 6+ is enough for me. Bars about top of fairing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thundercat on here has the 8+bars made by KST Kustoms. He said his hands don’t go to sleep. The picture looks Great! KTS Kustoms says with anything over the 6+ You need to lengthen the brake lines and throttle lines, and I don’t care to do that now. I think 6+ is enough for me. Bars about top of fairing.
If you have a 17 RM you only need to get longer clutch cable, not break nor throttle lines.
And thank you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts