Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right away, for anyone who is against apes(which I know a lot are and it isn't the Indian style, but for me...they are a comfort thing) just don't read on.

For anyone who has done 14"-16" apes(not Indians), just wondering what I will need. Extended clutch line(Barnett most likely, platinum series) , extended brake line and possibly extended throttle by wire cable...

1) Extra length compared to factory for the clutch and brake lines? 8", 10" or even possibly 12"?
2) Suggested top of the line brake line people? Might be possible to go with Barnett but universal.
3) By chance would I need to extend the wire for the throttle? If so, how much?

I do plan on getting everything together and having the dealer install it, I just want it all and the quality I want. Just want to hand it to them and let them do the fun part.

Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unfortunately I can't provide any assistance as I had my apes done while I was in Korea so I didn't have the hands on experience. I will definitely agree tho', apes are freakin' awesome!! Money well spent IMO. I do remember the clutch line was a huge ordeal due to Indian not actually manufacturing the part yet on an individual sale basis. If I remember correctly, everything else at the time was available from Indian to do the job. Since then however, everything is available OTC at Indian. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Right away, for anyone who is against apes(which I know a lot are and it isn't the Indian style, but for me...they are a comfort thing) just don't read on.

For anyone who has done 14"-16" apes(not Indians), just wondering what I will need. Extended clutch line(Barnett most likely, platinum series) , extended brake line and possibly extended throttle by wire cable...

1) Extra length compared to factory for the clutch and brake lines? 8", 10" or even possibly 12"?
2) Suggested top of the line brake line people? Might be possible to go with Barnett but universal.
3) By chance would I need to extend the wire for the throttle? If so, how much?

I do plan on getting everything together and having the dealer install it, I just want it all and the quality I want. Just want to hand it to them and let them do the fun part.

Thanks guys and gals!

Contact Alex Hawn. He put his apes on himself. You can also find him on FB's Indian Motorcycle Owner pages.

AlexHawnPhoto

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,817 Posts
The Dirtybird Standpede bars are about as high as you can go and still use the factory harnesses. You can extend the wiring but you better be a good electrician. You will have to stagger the wiring splices to you can still pull everything thru the bars. I would not use regular wire splices. It would be best to solder the wires and run heat shrink over that to minimize the splice size. Not sure if any makes an extension harness for this. Even if they did I would be concerned of the connectors coming apart when you try to pull the wires thru. I would not be too hard but you will really need to take your time and plan everything out. Dean

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yea, something like wiring, never a problem. I just want to see what a fellow Indian owner did.

It looks like he has 18" gangster apes on it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For me there is a different shape to the bars. The custom ones I want have a different bend and more pull back. More comfortable for me. Stock position puts a hurting on my shoulders.

Custom apes with bend

Factory Apes

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did mine myself on my Dark Horse. Only thing needed was an extended clutch cable. The throttle cable is long enough as is and did not need to be replaced. Let me know what o can do to help.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I am not a fan of Indian's apes because of them being straight. I like curves to apes. To each their own.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to order my apes today to have them for next weekend to do.

I am wondering, do bike manufacturers have the same design/maker for their throttle by wire, or is each one a unique cut out of the bar end? Most are designed for HD, wondering if Indian has the same. Carlini offers bars with pre done TBW setups along with pre drilled holes.

I am trying to find pictures of the bar ends with no grips, might just take my throttle off and see myself. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have seen some aftermarket bars need slight modification (cutting the notch for wiring) needed to work on the Indians. Should be easy process though. I did use Indian bars so my install was straight forward.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw them as well, the actually have a set on ebay(that isn't CRAP) that offered almost what I was looking for. I was really hoping to get 1.5" apes with taper to 1" for grips and 1.25" for risers, or even 1" and get adapters. It had the predrilled holes out further towards the grips.

I ended up grabbing some Carlini Flying Apes 1.25" at 14" tall. Can't wait!

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me there is a different shape to the bars. The custom ones I want have a different bend and more pull back. More comfortable for me. Stock position puts a hurting on my shoulders.

Custom apes with bend

Factory Apes

Do you happen to know what bars those are on the 'bend' bike? Beautiful!

·
Rider
1,059 Posts
20170714_080837.jpg
The nice thing about the 16" Indian bars is that they come in a kit with a new clutch cable. Here's a pick of mine, also super comfy! - john

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never posted my bars...well here they are. Been loving them since I got them on! So comfy and actually easier at low speed than stock.
Jordonf9,

Those bars look great! Would you mind sending me the exact model number. I'm on the Carlini site and not sure which ones you got. Where did you get the chrome braided lines? Thanks.

-Jam

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jordonf9,

Those bars look great! Would you mind sending me the exact model number. I'm on the Carlini site and not sure which ones you got. Where did you get the chrome braided lines? Thanks.

-Jam
Believe they are flying apes 16". I got a blemished pair as they are $75 cheaper I think....looked brand new when I got them, didn't see any blemishes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts