Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, i really like my mini apes I have installed on my Scout Sixty. However, a couple of guys I work with who have apes installed on their bikes( not Indian) informed me that I may have a change in the turns and difficulty . Has anyone noticed any changes with turns( close turns from a stop or u turns) or anything to that effect ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
312 Posts
Nope, I went from stocks to mini-apes and didn't notice any differences in u-turns or close turns. I've seen the stupidly large apes on Harley's and yes that definitely is affecting them. There arms aren't long enough to turn the wheel all the way while sitting. But the mini-apes don't seem to me to be any issue.

·
Rider
362 Posts
Properly fitted apes are fine, but they do reduce control a bit. Basic physics. Guys will say “leverage is increased” that’s b.s.! the further your arms are from your torso the less leverage you have. The only way to increase leverage is to increase width and or bring your arms closer to your body.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Properly fitted apes are fine, but they do reduce control a bit. Basic physics. Guys will say “leverage is increased” that’s b.s.! the further your arms are from your torso the less leverage you have. The only way to increase leverage is to increase width and or bring your arms closer to your body.
LOL....so true! A guy I used to work with put 36" apes on his 2003 RoadKing and tried to tell me he had more control than I did on my 2000 Chief with the wide bars.......he is a fool and an idiot if he thinks having your arms up in that position is more stable than riding with your arms wider.......

Can't stand apes...never have, never will.......some folks love them.....

·
Read Only
244 Posts
LOL....so true! A guy I used to work with put 36" apes on his 2003 RoadKing and tried to tell me he had more control than I did on my 2000 Chief with the wide bars.......he is a fool and an idiot if he thinks having your arms up in that position is more stable than riding with your arms wider.......

Can't stand apes...never have, never will.......some folks love them.....
I’d like to see a flat track racer with apes!

·
Rider
312 Posts
I personally think big apes just look stupid. I put the mini apes on for comfort. The stock bars just didn't work for me. My back was bent too far forward.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all and what everyone has said makes sense . I have the 10’ minis but I am also 6’4 as well. It does feel more comfortable, I still have plenty of bend in my elbows for control, and my wrists are below my shoulders.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally think big apes just look stupid. I put the mini apes on for comfort. The stock bars just didn't work for me. My back was bent too far forward.
I failed to mention my posture is better and my back is straight since I have installed the minis.. a good point to mention .

·
Silver member
3,152 Posts
I put 14's on my Road King mostly for the comfort factor. No real difference in handling, but they do provide a bit more vertical leverage, making moving the bike around in the garage/driveway easier, for me. And apes allow the rider to sit more upright.

Anyways... All us ol' Harley trash like apes :p :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed a difference when I went to mini apes, but it just meant some minor adjustments for cornering and tight turns. And, actually, it was more awareness than actual adjustments. Being conscious of my posture was more than worth the added comfort I got from the change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed a difference when I went to mini apes, but it just meant some minor adjustments for cornering and tight turns. And, actually, it was more awareness than actual adjustments. Being conscious of my posture was more than worth the added comfort I got from the change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think you hit it on the button with “awareness” just being that it’s new and something to get used too .

I just got home from work and I was thinking how comfortable it is now..even feels better in the wind if that makes any sense .

·
Bronze member
3,792 Posts
I had the mini-apes when I had a Scout and found them very comfortable with no problem with steering etc. I've seen lots of apes where they are pointing forward of the top of the triple trees but I had mine with the line of the bars following the line of the forks. My hands fell naturally to the grips and were about 4 inches below the level of my elbows when riding.

People would look at the bike from the front and think the bars were very high, but I think that's just because the Scout headlight is quite low and the bars have a straighter upright portion than the stock.

I have several cruiser riding mates who ride with their hands above their shoulders. Ironically, the guy with the highest apes is also the one who falls over in slow turns and has to be helped to get his bike upright. :)

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Apes are not my cup of tea normally, but if I had a Scout at 6' 2" I would like the riding position better. To me really tall ape hangers are stupid and dangerous, but smaller ones can work depending on the bike and size of the rider.

IMHO, the main thing I like with "apes" as suggested by Dr. Shifty is that the rake of the bars is in line with the front forks and well below the shoulder line of the rider for circulation reasons in your arms.

As an example, the old Gilroys from 99-2001 had these really cool beach bars, but almost too wide for me with the rake and freaky while lane splitting. But slap a set 12" chubby apes on those bad boys and I really like the feel.

And like Fungus I generally hate ape hangers, but on some setups they could work for me...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apes are not my cup of tea normally, but if I had a Scout at 6' 2" I would like the riding position better. To me really tall ape hangers are stupid and dangerous, but smaller ones can work depending on the bike and size of the rider.

IMHO, the main thing I like with "apes" as suggested by Dr. Shifty is that the rake of the bars is in line with the front forks and well below the shoulder line of the rider for circulation reasons in your arms.

As an example, the old Gilroys from 99-2001 had these really cool beach bars, but almost too wide for me with the rake and freaky while lane splitting. But slap a set 12" chubby apes on those bad boys and I really like the feel.

And like Fungus I generally hate ape hangers, but on some setups they could work for me...
My apes are in line with the fork and I think that on the Scouts, it looks seamless and it fits .

I agree with all on the outrageous Apes.. they look stupid and I could never imagine leaving my driveway looking that ridiculous.

I’ll send a pic with how mine looks.. I also installed the larger grips( I know, another thread) but those with the apes just took the comfort and ride to another level

·
Rider
678 Posts
You definitely need to get used to them. I had 16’s on my shovel.
Quite a few years ago, I sold my brother in laws FXR with 16’s out in front of my house.
At the time I lived on a Main Street in small village another driveway just offset to left across the street.
The dude paid me, saddled up and out in the street he went, attempting to turn left, well when he did he obviously didn’t really factor in his right hand was rolling the throttle WFO not being used to having his hands way up in the air.
He shot across the street hit the edge of the driveway curbing, with the forks turned, the bike just dropped and he went flying over the bars landing on the sidewalk.
He was on his feet and super red from embarrassment before I could even get across the street.
Bike was fine except the bars had slipped down a bit, I retighten them for him while he had a smoke to calm down.

·
Bronze member
1,158 Posts
I just put mini apes on my Scout 60 a few weeks ago after a year with the stock bars, way better posture for somebody over 6' and I probably should have done it right off the bat. 10 inch apes are barely apes, at 6' I still have plenty of bend in my elbows and my arms still angle downward to the grips. They're similar enough to the stock bars that you can use the same clutch cable with plenty of slack to spare. Negligible difference in handling, big difference in posture.

PSX_20190502_205808.jpg

·
Bronze member
3,792 Posts
My funniest ape hanger story comes from some years ago when my wife and I were having lunch at a country pub. We were sitting on the verandah looking out onto the street. And it was a very windy day. Some cruiser riders rode up and parked over the road and came over to the pub for lunch. One of them had the highest ape hangers anyone would every want or need. He was a skinny weedy little guy and his arms stretched over his head to the grips.

When they finished lunch they went back to the bikes and started up ... except the skinny ape guy. His bike refused to start. He kept trying, others thought they could press the starter better then he could so they kicked him off to have a go themselves. Before long the battery was flat. So they had to clutch start the bike. The skinny guy was his hands over his head sat there while his mates pushed him up and down the street in front of us all sitting out the front.

They eventually got the bike started but the wind was now so strong that the skinny guy could hardly hang on. His jacket kept billowing out with the wind like a sail and threatened to drag him off the bike. Somehow they rode out of town and the guy didn't fall off in front of us. He paid a price for those bars that day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts