Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering seat options to replace the stock seat. I did a search but couldn't find anything that discussed in depth anyone that had one of the Corbin Seats on their Indian. Can anyone give me their experience with the Corbin Seat and compare the comfort to the stock seat?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Corbin solo seat with pillion and drivers backrest. I also put the Corbin trunk and bracket on. Cost a fortune in shipping to Canada.

I am in the wheelchair seating business and understand a little about this seating stuff. I had a Mustang on my Kingpin. I agree that for comfort you usually need to put a well engineered after market seat on a bike. The manufacturers likely cannot keep the prices competitive if they installed a quality seat. Besides they likely keep enough people happy with stock because some peoples' builds and riding styles work OK with a stock seat.

The Mustang seat was terrific as is the Corbin. There is a lot of shaped surface area and the effects of gravity are spread out very well. The Corbin seat is quite hard and my experience is that harder will be most comfortable on the long haul. A plush experience is only comfortable to start with. I would add someones aftermarket seat again in an instant.

The Corbin seat is a work of art and well built. Having said that, I found customer service untruthful when they forget to ship. Don't expect Mr. Cobin to feel bad or belly up to the bar either to make things right. Extra shipments are at the customers expense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just want to add that the Corbin Solo seat (for me at 6'-2") moves me back at least 2" and maybe 3/4" higher. That translates into accommodating a person 5" to 6" taller than the tallest the stock seat would otherwise work for.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Since you asked about experience with Corbin, I'll add some "balance" here and say that years ago I tried a Corbin seat on a Harley. The quality of the seat left a lot to be desired with stitching problems and areas where the underlying foam had gaps and showed at the surface leather. I also had a horrible time with their customer service trying to get them to address the issues...they eventually made it right, but it took half of the riding season to get it all addressed. Your results may differ...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought the seat, backrest and trunk and all is well. I tried just slipping the backrest in and out without the bolt but the bolt holds the backrest forward where I like it best so I now use the bolt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also had a horrible time with their customer service trying to get them to address the issues...they eventually made it right, but it took half of the riding season to get it all addressed. Your results may differ...
I don't envy you trying to sort something out with their customer service because they are more into billing than service.

I also had a small problem with the trunk. I got one of the first ones that had the brake LED's in the trunk. When I went over a bump, I would get a fault code that the stop light was grounded. Next bump, and after I started it again the code went away. Also the tail light was out when the code was on. I found that the wire exited under the trunk right where the attachment cross bar was and that shorted out one wire.

I just fixed it myself..........I knew customer service was unlikely to even say "sorry" and my time is precious to me.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Danos, it's great you were able to fix the trunk and I'm guessing you ended up with a higher quality part when you finished. As for Corbin, I won't ever buy from their company again...I was bitten once, I won't be bitten again. For "off the shelve" seats, I've owned a few Mustang seats and never had an issue with them or their customer service.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just ordered the Corbin seat. The difference for me is I live 40 miles away from the Daytona showroom. I have bought three seats from them in the past with no problems. If I do have a problem I will go right to the showroom.

·
Founding member
1,031 Posts
I've had the Corbin dual touring seat with both backrests for a year and over 12,000. miles and LOVE it. It sets you back about 2" and up about an inch. Customer service has been great for me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decided against the Corbin. Just shipped my seat off to Mean City Cycles to be reshaped and have memory foam added.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have now rode with my Corbin seat (dual backrest & heaters) for about 7,500 miles. Love it as I'm 6'2" and the relocation has made a huge difference in comfort for me. Customer service was so so - seat is great.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had the best mustang seat on road glide and loved it. I wondered if original back seat works with Corbin or mustang seats? Buying both is expensive and I never sit on the back......

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I just ordered the Corbin seat. The difference for me is I live 40 miles away from the Daytona showroom. I have bought three seats from them in the past with no problems. If I do have a problem I will go right to the showroom.
Fortunate for you, but unfortunate for us that live 1500 miles away from their showroom. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fortunate for you, but unfortunate for us that live 1500 miles away from their showroom. :([/QUOTE

Have a dual Corbin seat on my 2002 Scout (factory option in 2002)and because it was so comfortable I bought a solo seat at Hollister 2013 and it attaches with 2 side brackets but the seat came without them. Customer service promised to have them to me the next week. ....BUT...did not happen and did not happen for the next 3 months of promises. Finally said they do not supply and it was my problem. Love the seats but thanks to customer service will not buy from them again and I tell people why.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just received my $500 Corbin solo seat. The seat is lovely and feels good so far. The mounting hardware supplied doesn't line up and I am starting to understand what you're all taking about with the customer service. I'm currently waiting for clarification that I'm actually on my own and they are not interested in assisting before I begin my social media assault. I've requested they send me a slightly modified mounting bracket, a small part with a threaded hole, to correct the problem. $500 seat, $20 bracket... Let's see how it goes.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
I bought three Corbin seats. I have a heated solo seat with backrest on my Chieftain and find it suits my 6'3" frame.

I bought a Corbin seat for the wifes Scout in Daytona.

I finally told the Corbin installer I would install it myself.

The kid was clueless,using the wrong size allen wrench,etc.

Minor hardware change and the seat was installed. Again a big improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corbin experiences----I had a Gilroy Scout with a Corbin dual and it was very comfortable and I really enjoyed it until I had to make an emergency stop and the seat popped up from the rear and sent me over the handlebars (broken shoulder, broken scapula and 5 broken ribs along with most of my shoulder road rashed away). It turned out the rear bracket was still attached to my fender but they attached it to the seat with 2 small aluminum pop rivets. Upon contacting Corbin they said I needed to learn to ride as a real rider would not even need the seat attached. Stupidly I bought another seat (a single this time) when I was at their factory when I was at the Hollister Run and had them ship it to me. It arrived without the side attachment brackets and I contacted customer service. An apology and a promise to ship. After about 5 more promises t ship over the next 2 months they said it was my problem as they do not furnish those brackets. A seat that could not be attached. Guess they were serious about seats not needing to be attached. Sold the seat and will not do business with Corbin. Too bad as they are so comfortable

·
Registered
712 Posts
I ran Corbin 2 up touring seats on both of my Victory V92Cs, on my Vintage I have the Mustang wide touring and even though the upholstery is vinyl instead of leather is proving itself to be the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts