Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Indian shift rod is made for the scout and is a little long for the Bobber .
I'm thinking about purchasing this part but was wondering if I can cut the threaded ends down and make it work for the bobber . Has anyone done this modification with success . The part is 60% off right know so im thinking about giving this a try.

Billet Shift Rod - Gloss Black | Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you ever figure this out?
I put Kuryakan mini spear boards on my Bobber but I can adjust the shifter any higher, and my foot is a tight fit.

Im thinking a longer shift rod would work, maybe even the Scout stock length, but not sure.

Anyone got a Scout and can tell me the length of the shift rod?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ever figure this out?
I put Kuryakan mini spear boards on my Bobber but I can adjust the shifter any higher, and my foot is a tight fit.

Im thinking a longer shift rod would work, maybe even the Scout stock length, but not sure.

Anyone got a Scout and can tell me the length of the shift rod?
I've purchased the part and waiting for it to arrive thinking I can make it work . All let you know how things work out

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I just saw the Joker Machine shift rod (for Scout) is 13".
Ill measure the Bobber one tommorow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone find out if the scout shift rod is bigger than the bobber? I measured bobber it's 12.25. I have same issue when I added on mini boards, I want my shift higher, I'm afraid to adjust too much more and not have enough of the rod to keep it secure. Literally another .5-.75" would do the trick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did anyone find out if the scout shift rod is bigger than the bobber? I measured bobber it's 12.25. I have same issue when I added on mini boards, I want my shift higher, I'm afraid to adjust too much more and not have enough of the rod to keep it secure. Literally another .5-.75" would do the trick.
The scout should be longer than the bobber rod.
I had the same issue on my Bobber with Kury Mini Spears.
I fixed it by adjusting the boards themselves to be closer. The Kury boards had 3 different positions you could put them in, and putting them closer worked amazing for me.
CAn you do the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I can try to pull the boards closer as well. Let me play around more. It's not 'bad' and I like the boards, I'm sure some is just getting used to boards after having pegs since day 1. Thanks for the input. Will see how I make out!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have Indian rod installed on my bike. I have the extended foot controls installed and used the scout standard length rod. Total length is about 14'' . You could cut down a little off each of the threaded ends and make it work or order the reduce reach rod but I don't know what the length is
IMG_3722.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Indian rod installed on my bike. I have the extended foot controls installed and used the scout standard length rod. Total length is about 14'' . You could cut down a little off each of the threaded ends and make it work or order the reduce reach rod but I don't know what the length is View attachment 515884
I have the extended reach foot controls as well and wanted to change the shift rod as well, so I am glad to know the standard rod for the Scout will work! Did you buy new heim joints or did you paint/powder coat the stock joints and nuts black?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the extended reach foot controls as well and wanted to change the shift rod as well, so I am glad to know the standard rod for the Scout will work! Did you buy new heim joints or did you paint/powder coat the stock joints and nuts black?
I painted them.
The standard rod will work . Its about an incher shorter but you will have an 1/2' of thread on each end to work with . The extended rod would probably work also but you would need to cut down each threaded end to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I painted them.
The standard rod will work . Its about an incher shorter but you will have an 1/2' of thread on each end to work with . The extended rod would probably work also but you would need to cut down each threaded end to work.
Painting seemed like the easiest and least expensive route to go. From your picture it looks like you have a good amount of thread to work with so I think I would go the standard length route and avoid having to cut anything. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tractor Supply implement and tractor paint works perfect. I've painted a few things on mine with it. Flat black

Edit: made by Rustoleum and its called Farm and Implement

1 - 15 of 15 Posts