Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Anyone take their bike license on SCOUT ?

5533 43
Just curious, if anyone did the figure 8 on the scout for your motorcycle state license?? I took the class passed fine on a Honda 250 they supplied but am afraid to do the state test on the scout. I just feel like I can't turn in the figure 8 box without wanting to drop her. Almost like she just doesn't turn that narrow.??
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
I took my test on a sportbike years ago and it was pretty tough. I think if you went slow enough on the Scout you wouldn't really have to lean her all that much and you would be able to turn her like a bicycle. That is if you feel comfortable enough going slowly.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took my test on a sportbike years ago and it was pretty tough. I think if you went slow enough on the Scout you wouldn't really have to lean her all that much and you would be able to turn her like a bicycle. That is if you feel comfortable enough going slowly.
I feel very comfortable like 5 miles an hour but STRAIGHT only. Tha'ts why I'm was wondering if anyone took the test on the scout. I'm sure it was tough on the sportster. Obviously you passed?

· Registered
337 Posts
I feel very comfortable like 5 miles an hour but STRAIGHT only. Tha'ts why I'm was wondering if anyone took the test on the scout. I'm sure it was tough on the sportster. Obviously you passed?
I passed the box 7weeks ago on a HD street 500. I've since tried several dozen times to recreate on my scout...not happening.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I passed the box 7weeks ago on a HD street 500. I've since tried several dozen times to recreate on my scout...not happening.

Yeah that's what I thought. My teacher took her for a spin and he even said it seemed difficult and that the scout just seems to need wider turns. I'm gonna have to borrow a smaller bike to take exam. Thanks for input

· Registered
427 Posts
tough on the sportster. Obviously you passed?
Oh no a sportster would be EASY. I did it on a SPORTS BIKE[Ninja], very top heavy and difficult to ride the figure 8 between the lines. I did pass, but barely. The Scout is so well balanced, I think it would be pretty easy to get 'er done. If not, get out and practice...

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no a sportster would be EASY. I did it on a SPORTS BIKE[Ninja], very top heavy and difficult to ride the figure 8 between the lines. I did pass, but barely. The Scout is so well balanced, I think it would be pretty easy to get 'er done. If not, get out and practice...
Sorry my fault, that's what I meant. Ninja type a bunch of guys in my class had them and my son wants a black CBR he saw but he's only 14 so not yet, lol

· Senior member/ bronze
1,721 Posts
I would think if you dragged the rear brake and used the friction zone on a scout you would be able to pass. I have not ridden a scout. I did my MSF on a 250 and the state used that test as my state operating test. One thing MA was good for. Good luck and I am sure you will pass.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think if you dragged the rear brake and used the friction zone on a scout you would be able to pass. I have not ridden a scout. I did my MSF on a 250 and the state used that test as my state operating test. One thing MA was good for. Good luck and I am sure you will pass.
Ugh IDK I'll just have to practice but I'm just hoping someone out there took the test on the scout.

· Registered
337 Posts
Ugh IDK I'll just have to practice but I'm just hoping someone out there took the test on the scout.
IMO, borrow a bike...pass your license....then go practice to improve. That's my route...I've logged @600miles since I passed, @100 on loaner and the rest on my scout (took some time to arrive from dealer)...just took her in for the 500mi maintenance.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO, borrow a bike...pass your license....then go practice to improve. That's my route...I've logged @600miles since I passed, @100 on loaner and the rest on my scout (took some time to arrive from dealer)...just took her in for the 500mi maintenance.

Yep that's exactly what I was thinking too. Thx

· Registered
206 Posts
If you can find a dual sport, those are the best. IMO. Just a thought but maybe change your bar positioning? Only for the test unless, obviously you like the different position. If you have access to the test site, go practice the turns and techniques associated with the test. And smartmike's suggestion will benefit you anytime you ride on two wheels.

· Premium Member
185 Posts
Passed my test on my Chieftain. Utah has an Motorcycle endorsement system related to engine size; <90cc, 91-249cc, 250-649cc, > 650CC. They say if you want to ride a big bike, you have to test on a big bike.

roadrunner -

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,259 Posts
Good thing is the Scout is a relatively small bike with a big engine. That means you use the bigger box for turns ;)

Here is a video showing the South Carolina Skills test

Here's proof anyone can pass the skills test on any bike...using the right technique of course

Biggest thing is to turn your head and look where you want to go. Combined with being confident and not timid or afraid will get you through no problem.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took mine on my Scout. The parking lot of the DMV here has the course marked out with paint. I practiced it everyday for about a week.

If you have that option I would recommend the same.
God ok great! Thx so much I just wanted to make sure the bike makes it in the box. Is it 20 or 24 feet wide? I'm waiting on my crash bars to practice because I've broken my clutch and break levers twice already!! When I get them I'm doing exactly what you did! Going to closest DMV to practice!

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thing is the Scout is a relatively small bike with a big engine. That means you use the bigger box for turns ;)

Here's proof anyone can pass the skills test on any bike...using the right technique of course

Biggest thing is to turn your head and look where you want to go. Combined with being confident and not timid or afraid will get you through no problem.
Thank you!! I'll be watching!

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You know I've looked all over iTunes for SC DMV and didn't find that? What the hellll. Thanks again

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So you took the MSF course on a 250 and passed and now you have to take the riding test again? In Montana if you take the MSF course and pass the riding part, then all you have to do is go to DMV, take the written and get your Endorsement.
Yep, actually I passed the course with no problem at Trident and had to do the actual box, turns, weave, stop etc. Still need to take it again at the school or DMV my choice. I heard they also just handed out endorsement after passed class here in SC but (of course) no longer do that. I don't know why. I now need to go take the test and they give me ...as they explained. "A closed envelope" I'm supposed to hand in to DMV to get license. I thought that was weird. But what do I know, except that my insurance wanted my certificate of the passed class to lower ins rate.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.