Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the model year 2014 winds down, do you find yourself wondering just how Indian Motorcycle has done?

I wonder what their initial goals were and if they have met them.

We can look at the proliferation of their dealer body as a sign of success and expansion into the market share held by Harley Davidson. As a matter of fact, a couple of new Indian dealers that I have visited had more Harley trade-ins sitting on the lot than Indians in the showroom.

For the last decade or so we have heard all about aging baby boomers meaning the end for Harley Davidson. The new generations of riders are not so keen on riding their dad's bike. What will this demographic mean to Indian, long term?

To be honest, at my age, my Indian represents one last bike....one last new bike that I will ride into the sunset.
So if Indian Motorcycle is depending on guys like me?
I've shot my wad.
But will The Grey Panthers provide enough, going forward?

So as the first model year winds down....what do you think?
Wildly successful?
Met goals, nothing surprising?
Hanging on by their fingernails?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think the Scout will sell like hotcakes. The initial demand may have overwhelmed them.

No doubt there has been some warts in the overall line, but for a roll out of a totally new motorcycle line absolutely required to respect the past and the brand, I think Polaris has done a damn good job. I wouldn't trust anyone else to have done better.

Indian, for the first time since 1953 (and probably before that), is a viable product. Those of us that bought new models, we did so in respect to the history and the quality we observed, and with a measure of trust in Polaris as a big company. As long as Polaris respects our trust, they'll do well.

The future looks bright for Indian.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It is a very interesting question BD and only time will tell. I bought my Chief as a last bike but now would like to add 1 or 2 more but this is probably unrealistic given the entry fee. My guess is they met or exceeded goals on the Indians and the brand will be stable. I also guess that the Scout will be a big hit and will cross the grey barrier. It is an interesting new design with great mod. potential. Maybe Indian will spring something entirely new in 2016. Bottom line will be the bottom line and we are lucky that Polaris picked the ball up and ran with it. I think we will retire from active motorcycling happy. Many years from now of course, like those 80+ Goldwing couch riders.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Would definitely love to hear the numbers but Polaris guards it like Fort Knox ..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Big D, I follow stocks a bit. Polaris did NOT specify in their earnings report sales figures by brand. They merely lump all together in Motorcycle Sales figure total and the % increase year over year. Remember 14 only had 3 models and newly introduced at that. I would think they sold close to 10,000 Indians. They ramped up production as year went on and also dealerships. Now in 15 they probably have 175 dealerships ^ from earlier in year, 2 more models high end low end in price, much more exposure from media and on the road. They should have a very nice year. BTW my dealer has their board by the bathroom. I always glance at it. October 9 Indians 6 Victory 11 pre owned. November they had 6 Indian, 0 Victory and I don't remember pre owned. Once the Scouts arrive sales figures for all dealers should really blip up as they deliver those bikes. Pre orders are not sales until delivery.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Our dealer in Latrobe, PA, was telling me that when the Indians first came out in 2014 in the 1st three months he had sold 47 Indians. Mostly being purchased by Ex HD Riders. When the Scouts came out and when he had an open house with the Roadmaster and Scout, they had sold and or had orders for 20 Scouts, and 5 Roadmasters.
Al says, "He has never had a year in sells like this since he's been in businbess. They are one of the last true mom & pop dealers and will always be. I wish them the best...

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I would be curious to know what the numbers were for 2014, but I expect their production to grow
Our dealer in Latrobe, PA, was telling me that when the Indians first came out in 2014 in the 1st three months he had sold 47 Indians. Mostly being purchased by Ex HD Riders. When the Scouts came out and when he had an open house with the Roadmaster and Scout, they had sold and or had orders for 20 Scouts, and 5 Roadmasters.
Al says, "He has never had a year in sells like this since he's been in businbess. They are one of the last true mom & pop dealers and will always be. I wish them the best...
That is awesome and I bet other Indian dealers are or will experience the same :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Polaris site provides an annual report last one posted is 2013. See pg 28 for their market analysis summary.

"Motorcycles. Polaris’ Motorcycles division consists of Victory_ and Indian_ motorcycles. Heavyweight motorcycles are utilized as a mode of transportation as well as for recreational purposes. The industry is comprised of four segments: cruisers, touring, sport bikes and standard motorcycles. We entered the heavyweight motorcycle market in 1998 with an initial Victory product in the cruiser segment. We entered the touring segment in 2000. In 2011, we purchased the Indian Motorcycle brand to complement our Victory brand of motorcycles. In 2013, we re-launched the Indian brand by releasing the first three Indian motorcycle models engineered by Polaris. The North America industry retail cruiser sales more than doubled from 1996 to 2006; however, the motorcycle industry declined in 2007 through 2010 due to weak overall economic conditions. The motorcycle industry has rebounded with growth beginning in 2011. We estimate that the combined 1,400 cc and above cruiser and touring market segments increased six percent in 2013 compared to 2012 levels with an estimated 184,000 heavyweight cruiser and touring motorcycles sold in the North American market. Other major heavyweight cruiser and touring motorcycle manufacturers include BMW of North America, LLC (‘‘BMW’’), Triumph Motorcycles Ltd., Harley-Davidson, Inc., Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki." Polaris 2013 Annual Report pg 28.

"Motorcycles. In 1998, we began manufacturing V-twin cruiser motorcycles under the Victory brand name. In 2008, we introduced our first luxury touring model, the Victory Vision_. In 2009, we expanded our touring product line to include the Victory Cross Roads_ and Cross Country_ models. In 2011, we acquired Indian Motorcycle Company, America’s first motorcycle company, and in 2013 we re-launched the Indian brand by releasing the first three Indian motorcycle models engineered by Polaris: Indian Chief_ Classic, Indian Chief_ Vintage and Indian Chieftain_. Our 2014 model year line of motorcycles for both Victory and Indian consists of approximately 20 models with suggested U.S. retail prices ranging from approximately $12,500 to $30,000" Polaris 2013 Annual Report pg 29.

Victory and Indian motorcycles are distributed directly through independently owned dealers and distributors, except in Australia where we have three Company-owned retail stores. We have a high quality dealer network 7 for our other product lines from which many of the approximately 450 current North American Victory dealers were selected. Indian Motorcycle currently has approximately 140 North American dealers signed up, of which approximately 60 are retailing Indian motorcycles as of the end of 2013. We expect the number of Indian retailing dealerships to continue to increase over the coming years. In 2005, we began selling Victory motorcycles in the United Kingdom. Since 2005, we have been gradually expanding our international sales of motorcycles, primarily in Europe and Australia. We expect to further expand our motorcycle dealer network over the next few years in North America and internationally for both Victory and Indian motorcycles

Sales from the motorcycles division, which is comprised of Victory and Indian motorcycles, increased 12 percent to $219.8 million for 2013 compared to 2012. The increase in 2013 sales is due to the initial shipments of the new model year 2014 Indian motorcycles. North American industry heavyweight cruiser and touring motorcycle retail sales increased mid-single digits percent in 2013 compared to 2012. Over the same period, Polaris North American unit retail sales to consumers increased over 20 percent, driven by an unprecedented number of new product introductions in 2013, which includes three new Indian Motorcycle models. North American Polaris motorcycle dealer inventory increased high-single digits percent in 2013 versus 2012 levels due to stocking of the new Indian motorcycles. Sales of motorcycles to customers outside of North America increased three percent in 2013 compared to 2012. The average per unit sales price for the motorcycles division in 2013 increased five percent compared to 2012 due to the increased sales of higher priced Indian motorcycles."

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with you Chas that these guys are a true mom & pop dealership. I made the trip from St. Marys, WV to A&A in Latrobe (I used to live in West Newton, PA) to "just look" at the Road Master and got mine as soon as the Red/Ivory color was available. JR and both Al's said that they have had a fantastic selling season by the looks on people's faces and the questions and compliments that I get when I pull into rest stops and gas stations from folks who say that they are Harley owners; my own opinion (and please note the word "opinion") is that they are going to be selling more and more.

·
Super Moderator
4,945 Posts
I don't have the sales figures but I do know the Polaris factory employed about 450 workers on two shifts back in 2006. Now they employ about 1000 workers on three shifts. They only made Victory motorcycles, ATVs and Ranger side-by-sides back in 2006. ATV production was moved to Mexico and the Spirit lake Iowa facility now makes just the Victory and Indian motorcycles, not sure about the Ranger side-by-sides. I heard that they had to add a shift to keep up with demand for the Indians.
When I was in Spirit Lake last year the side by sides were still being produced on the NW side of the factory. I also know they are behind in production and the 3rd shift was added, know someone who applied there. ;)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Indian opened a new dealership in Brisbane (Australia) a year ago. The population In that city is about 2 million. It was reported in the press that they sold 100 Chiefs/Chieftans in the year, and have taken orders for all 36 Scouts that they will be getting in their first shipment. Not bad in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Shipment of the scout for Adelaide Australia is sold out is the story don't know how many but it's good news and they are stills on the way

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just hope the demand does not drive the prices sky high like it did with Harleys years ago. It will be the dealer "costs" that we will see climbing. I'm all for dealers making money but I hope folks hold them to a reasonable amount of up-charge and avoid a gouging bubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,945 Posts
I hope the increased demand and production does not drive down quality. ANYONE on the assembly line in Spirit Lake can stop the production line if there is a problem or even a perceived problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been tracking motorcycle sales and revenue for a couple of years. Polaris has been mum on unit sales results. It makes me wonder why such secrecy, is it because sales have been less than forecasted? That was my 1st thought, but on the other hand it appears the dealerships are moving inventory so I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been tracking motorcycle sales and revenue for a couple of years. Polaris has been mum on unit sales results. It makes me wonder why such secrecy, is it because sales have been less than forecasted? That was my 1st thought, but on the other hand it appears the dealerships are moving inventory so I don't know what to think.
I think the Scout will drive the brand well into the future it looks good and what I have read all the reports are good on the product so this makes for a long and a strong bottom line going into the future for Polaris

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Indian opened a new dealership in Brisbane (Australia) a year ago. The population In that city is about 2 million. It was reported in the press that they sold 100 Chiefs/Chieftans in the year, and have taken orders for all 36 Scouts that they will be getting in their first shipment. Not bad in my humble opinion.
2 a week for one dealer is a good start I think the brand will only get stronger & stronger into the future the local Harley people are looking at what is happening in the bike market

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I think about how many people (riders and non-riders) stop to check out my Chieftain, talk about their glory days, have told me they want to trade their bike in for one, are disappointed in their CVO, just drool over the looks of the bike, etc., I believe it is going to be wildly fantastic. When Polaris projects a 20 billion dollar motorcycle industry for them by the year 2020.....that's some serious coin. Granted, that includes Victory, Indian and Slingshots, but that is serious. I am ready to reinvest my life on Indian. This is as good as or better than H-D in the 80's and 90's. The interest, desire, and motorcyclists are there. I am willing to bet on it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Any company with a symbol on the stock market will try to keep as many secrets as possible. Outsiders will come in and rate those company's. They went into Compaq computer corporation (when that company was still alive) and found Compaq to be hiding 10,000 computers in a warehouse that hadn't been sold yet, that hurts the company's rating and that cost them money.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts