Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 Octane that has the dreaded crap starter that barely turns the bike over. Killed a battery, blew a fuse etc. Anyway, called the dealer, they said sure bring it in, if it’s covered your good. If not we will charge you $150 diagnostic fee. So knowing my luck (if weren’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any)! I decided to buy a new starter online for $150 and save the 2 weeks with the bike sitting at the dealer waiting for some high school dropout to diagnose my problem.

has anyone here removed the starter? It seems to be a tight fit down there (yes I know it’s an Octane but they are quite similar).

I haven’t been able to locate any videos. I have the service manual for my Chieftain but haven’t had luck locating an Octane version.

I really don’t want to remove the header pipe and drain the coolant to get at the starter. So thought I’d check here to see if anyone has done this.

0BCD1228-CB34-4653-B3C6-61F8FC3A144A.jpeg

8496A63B-A4B6-4AE4-9E12-442FD2555185.jpeg

·
Bronze member
4,801 Posts
There is a Scout service manual on the forum somewhere. Here is the page about removing the starter motor. It looks like draining the coolant is part of it. I imagine the Octane is the same.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a Scout service manual on the forum somewhere. Here is the page about removing the starter motor. It looks like draining the coolant is part of it. I imagine the Octane is the same.

View attachment 588980
Thank you very much Dr. any chance you have page 4.21 handy showing radiator removal?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it!

DAE50B83-28EC-45D6-A08E-8AB6022C2852.png

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn’t find anyway to remove the Octane starter without draining the radiator. The starter is just under the main hose in the photo at bottom. Swapped the starter with this one below and Man this starter fires the bike up FAST!

$147 shipped. Had To order another quart of coolant and a vacuum setup to refill. Don’t try filling at the pressure cap or the top off spot under the seat, it won’t work without a vacuum setup! I bought this one on Amazon and hoping my son can do a video since one cannot be found on Google or YouTube.

ARES 15027- Cooling System Refill Kit - Easily Test for Leakage in Cooling System - Change Coolant Quickly - Works with Most Radiator and Coolant Bottlenecks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VWY1PSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5jEVEbZ19P15Z

9CA4C605-37FD-45EC-8022-A70E805BBDC5.jpeg

D138907A-70C1-4B93-A276-D055841D4DBC.jpeg

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S. I did not have to completely remove the radiator. Just the cover and horn bracket. Pulled the radiator out of its top mounts and outward. Then drained the coolant on left side of the bike. Starter came out by moving the hose shown out of the way. Then taking starter out through left side of bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn’t find anyway to remove the Octane starter without draining the radiator. The starter is just under the main hose in the photo at bottom. Swapped the starter with this one below and Man this starter fires the bike up FAST!

$147 shipped. Had To order another quart of coolant and a vacuum setup to refill. Don’t try filling at the pressure cap or the top off spot under the seat, it won’t work without a vacuum setup! I bought this one on Amazon and hoping my son can do a video since one cannot be found on Google or YouTube.

ARES 15027- Cooling System Refill Kit - Easily Test for Leakage in Cooling System - Change Coolant Quickly - Works with Most Radiator and Coolant Bottlenecks Amazon.com: ARES 15027- Cooling System Refill Kit - Easily Test for Leakage in Cooling System - Change Coolant Quickly - Works with Most Radiator and Coolant Bottlenecks: Automotive

View attachment 589770
View attachment 589772
P.S. I did not have to completely remove the radiator. Just the cover and horn bracket. Pulled the radiator out of its top mounts and outward. Then drained the coolant on left side of the bike. Starter came out by moving the hose shown out of the way. Then taking starter out through left side of bike.
Hey. Thanks for the info. I just bought the exact same starter for my 2017 Scout. I just removed the old starter but I am having a hell of a time getting the new one back in. Any tips ? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey. Thanks for the info. I just bought the exact same starter for my 2017 Scout. I just removed the old starter but I am having a hell of a time getting the new one back in. Any tips ? Thanks again.
So if you got the original starter out, where are you having troubles putting the new one in? Are you pulling the bottom of the radiator outward? Have you removed the lower radiator hose? That is what I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There doesn't seem to be enough room to get a straight shot at engaging the gear ? I have the starter back up in place but I can't get it to pop all the way into the opening.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There doesn't seem to be enough room to get a straight shot at engaging the gear ? I have the starter back up in place but I can't get it to pop all the way into the opening.
Can you pull it out far enough to spin the starter gear on the new starter? Sounds like the teeth aren’t meshing. Mine went right in at that point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have tried spinning the gear on the starter and in the engine; I guess I'll just have to keep trying and hopefully get lucky ! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tried spinning the gear on the starter and in the engine; I guess I'll just have to keep trying and hopefully get lucky ! Thanks for your help.
I did have to tap with a rubber mallet to get it all the way in if I remember correctly. But not crazy hard. Refilling the reservoir for the radiator is the hardest part that I remember. I still don’t have much in the reservoir, but my sons octane is able to control temp with the fan so there must be enough Coolant in there. Let me know if you figure out how to fill the reservoir at least half full.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't drain the coolant. I unbolted the radiator, pulled it away and removed the fan to get access to the starter. With the radiator loose and the fan out of the way there is enough room to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts