Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about all the questions on helmets. I need to get me a good one and one that is comfortable. The Nolan seems to be well built.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
You're never going to find out which helmet is good for you until you go to a dealer with a wide selection of helmets to try on and wear around the shop for a short time.
Trying to ask someone about his preference about helmets is like asking them how he picked his wife out.... they just fit together once you try them out! ;)
Aria is usually picked for people with a "long oval" shaped head, others are for round-headed people.
Quit asking about brands and just try them on until you find one that feels good on YOUR head!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a n104 outlaw full face w their bt setup, awesome helmet w a good field of view. Comfy, fair circulation, well built.Have a schuberth also, i like the nolan better... butnthe schuberth has plenty if parts if u need em....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
RB is absolutely correct. You'll only like (and wear) a helmet if it is comfortable for you ... and the only way to determine if it is comfortable is by trying them on. Go to dealers or bike accessory stores that have a lot and start trying on a bunch of them. Your head shape will determine which ones are possible contenders. Once you find one or two that feel good, you can go to this site - Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - Hands On Reviews for Over 20 Years and determine from the reviews of those helmets what shape of helmet fits your head. You can then use the shape category to search for others that are a similar shape if you want to continue your search.

I would never buy a helmet just because someone else likes it. But I will say that my Nolan N-104 is the one that works for me (DON'T PICK IT FOR YOU ... until you try it).

·
Registered
233 Posts
RB is right. I have three, a half, 3/4 and a modular. All different brands based on how they fit compared to others. Tried on some that had great comments from people but a few minutes into trying them on I knew they weren't for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their is not many shops where I live to try them on. I guess I will order them from places I can send them back. I understand about what works for one person does not work for another. Found that out in guns and boots. I like glocks and H&K's 9MM's but they don't work for other people.

·
Rider
1,097 Posts
Really love my Nolan Helmets. Fit my head very well. Have modular, 3/4 and half helmet. Unfortunately they do not make the Supercruise any more. I don't care for d-rings and Nolan uses a quick release setup as well. I also have an LS2 which has the similar kind of chin strap setup plus a drop down sun shield. Price point is pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
RB is absolutely correct. You'll only like (and wear) a helmet if it is comfortable for you ... and the only way to determine if it is comfortable is by trying them on. Go to dealers or bike accessory stores that have a lot and start trying on a bunch of them. Your head shape will determine which ones are possible contenders. Once you find one or two that feel good, you can go to this site - Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - Hands On Reviews for Over 20 Years and determine from the reviews of those helmets what shape of helmet fits your head. You can then use the shape category to search for others that are a similar shape if you want to continue your search.

I would never buy a helmet just because someone else likes it. But I will say that my Nolan N-104 is the one that works for me (DON'T PICK IT FOR YOU ... until you try it).
Not something you want to just order on line. I will AFTER I have tried it on for comfort and fit.
OP, you may have to visit SEVERAL bike shops as th ed y always a variety of brands.

Then I order either from Amazon or diredi from manufacturer or even Revzilla. Tons of choices.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sorry about all the questions on helmets. I need to get me a good one and one that is comfortable. The Nolan seems to be well built.
They are not the best but not the worst either.. One complaint you will hear universally on Nolan helmets is that they are noisy! They are well ventilated but do so in a way that makes them loud...

check for reviews on Revzila and watch their product videos

mark

·
Silver member
3,326 Posts
I have a Nolan modular and am very happy with it. Quality helmet but less expensive than, for example Schuberth.

Most important in helmet selection is whether it matches your head shape and is the right size.

·
Rider
910 Posts
See if there is a Cycle Gear somewhere close. They have a great selection of brands and people that will help with the sizing and fit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Because I care about your health consider the following :

The thing folks do not think about is what a helmet is designed to do. Forget about the law. But think about what happens when / or if you go down. After weeks of research, reading reports and thinking about what also was not said, the ONLY helmet I will ever use is an ARAI!
Why, the same helmet you put on your head is the same one the Pro's race with. Arai does NOT get involved with all of the marketing BS.
IF you absolutely do not want to spend that much... HJC is a great choice. IMHO, a nolan just does not cut the mustard. Find a Cycle Gear store. There you can try many brands. ALSO... IMPORTANT... folks have different shaped heads. To that end, a Shoei does not fit me as well as Arai and a few others. Plenty info can be found on you tube. A helmet is the most important purchase when you buy a motorcycle. Also, premium riding gear. WITH OUT PEER AND WITH OUT QUESTION... the best gear is MOTOPORT. Yep, it cost more, but then its millions of times cheeper and less painful than having melted on nylon based suits scraped and peeled off your skin. Ask me how I know! Top quality gear is NOT expensive... It is priceless!

Reactions: Bad News

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
Their is not many shops where I live to try them on. I guess I will order them from places I can send them back. I understand about what works for one person does not work for another. Found that out in guns and boots. I like glocks and H&K's 9MM's but they don't work for other people.
There may not be many shops, but try all the helmets at the shops you have - full, 3/4, and half. The purpose is not to find THE helmet for you, but to determine what shape fits your head. If you find just one or two that feel comfortable, then you can go to the website I referenced above and see what other helmets are made to the same general shape. That will cut down on the number you would need to select from ... then you can try others on-line if you want.

Again, don't buy a brand because others like it or say it's a top-quality brand ... if it doesn't fit well, you'll either: a) won't want to do longer rides because it hurts, b) end up buying another and waste $$ on the first one, or worse, c) you won't wear it or decide you just don't want to ride. Good luck!

·
Registered
378 Posts
First you need to find out what 'type' of head shape you have?.....oval, round, ?.

·
Bronze member
3,061 Posts
Because I care about your health consider the following :

The thing folks do not think about is what a helmet is designed to do. Forget about the law. But think about what happens when / or if you go down. After weeks of research, reading reports and thinking about what also was not said, the ONLY helmet I will ever use is an ARAI!
Why, the same helmet you put on your head is the same one the Pro's race with. Arai does NOT get involved with all of the marketing BS.
IF you absolutely do not want to spend that much... HJC is a great choice. IMHO, a nolan just does not cut the mustard. Find a Cycle Gear store. There you can try many brands. ALSO... IMPORTANT... folks have different shaped heads. To that end, a Shoei does not fit me as well as Arai and a few others. Plenty info can be found on you tube. A helmet is the most important purchase when you buy a motorcycle. Also, premium riding gear. WITH OUT PEER AND WITH OUT QUESTION... the best gear is MOTOPORT. Yep, it cost more, but then its millions of times cheeper and less painful than having melted on nylon based suits scraped and peeled off your skin. Ask me how I know! Top quality gear is NOT expensive... It is priceless!
you must not watch the AFT... Arai does plenty of marketing... and half the riders wear Bell including the wrecking crew... I have a Nolan Modular use it when it's cold or long distance... like it a lot...

·
Rider
756 Posts
That’s it,, finding a helmet that’s comfortable, fits,, cool,, vented,, is a pain in the ass. BUT,, it just mite save the Mellon sum day. REVZILA HAS A GOOD SELECTION OF FINE QUALITY HELMETS. For round heads and bullet heads. They also have great videos on shapes, shell sizes,, snell,, check that out , it will help narrow it down . I’ve heard guys say the best helmet they ever had was bought at a Harley Davidson Dealer.. ( SOUNDS LIKE CRUZER BS TO ME,, ) good luck BN.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nolan N1005. Modular is awesome for me and is near comparable in quality and functions as the Shoei Neotec 2. Nolan has great view and features. Italian made. The N1005 is the best of the mid range and comparable to the bottom to mid field of the top range. Real value for your money. If you find one, it fits well, feels good, buy it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Typically budget priced helmets bring, more weight, more noise, less venting, or ineffective venting, cheaper padding that will not keep it's shape for long, and inner materials that are not as comfortable as better quality helmets. If you never wear a high quality helmet then you will never know the difference. I ride a lot and I can put a lot of hours in on my bikes. I want to be in the best comfort that I can afford. I personally like Arai's because they fit me well and I love the comfort and quality of the helmets.

With that being said try on as many helmets as you can before you buy. Only you can tell when something is comfortable for you. Good luck with your selection.

·
Rider
396 Posts
My wife and I both had HJC Modulars and they literally fell apart. If you are going to get a modular steer well clear of HJC. We have had Nolan's for a long time and they have been bullet proof in function.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts