Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with or know what's going on here? It's discolored and course feeling. Is it normal? Something to be concerned with?
IMG_20190820_073258059~2.jpg
IMG_20190820_073258059~2.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,656 Posts
Looks to me like it wasn't prepped right before it was painted which is what caused it to bubble like that,but really nothing to worry about cause it's only cosmetic.And unless ya look close at it,you wouldn't really notice it.Of course,if I saw you on the road and noticed that,:eek: I'd immediately point it out to ya and tell ya , you should have bought a Harley!!:D:D:D:D Smart ars,Dave!!! lol

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
If that's like my bike, it is on the rear cylinder of the bike, and you likely haven't removed the Cat at this point.

It's basically the powdercoat/paint on the fins that got really hot and bubbled. I replaced the fin section that is removable for header pipe access. Did it about a year ago right after removing the Cat on my RM and it's been fine ever since.

Reactions: Dagwood

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that's like my bike, it is on the rear cylinder of the bike, and you likely haven't removed the Cat at this point.

It's basically the powdercoat/paint on the fins that got really hot and bubbled. I replaced the fin section that is removable for header pipe access. Did it about a year ago right after removing the Cat on my RM and it's been fine ever since.
Excellent. Yes it is on the rear cylinder and I havent removed the cat yet. A guy I worked with said he thought I should be able to replace the removable section as you described. Thanks for validating this.

·
Bronze member
4,677 Posts
You could also remove that cover, sand the bubbly bit, and refinish it with matt black engine or BBQ paint.

A tip.
Removing the cover for the first time is tricky. There are two screws to remove, but there are also two locating pins that are probably stuck tight. You need to pull the cover straight out sideways, even it it seems that nothing is moving. Those pins can be crazy tight the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts