Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Chieftan rear shock has more travel and more adjustment features than the shock on the chief classic and vintage.... I'm wondering if the Chieftans better shock could be installed on the other models. The only thing is that I've read the rear frame on the Chieftan is different. Might not be possible.

·
Founding member
954 Posts
It's a interesting idea. Looking in service manual shows same swing arm and frame. Chieftain is air adjustable 4.5" travel. Classic spanner wrench adjustible with 3.7" travel and has higher spring rate 450 lbs./in vs 400 lbs/in for Chieftain. Spring rate is a ratio used to measure how resistant a spring is to being compressed or expanded. Sound quite expensive cheaper to get spanner wrench. More would be better but considering HD has only 2" of travel seems fine to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a interesting idea. Looking in service manual shows same swing arm and frame. Chieftain is air adjustable 4.5" travel. Classic spanner wrench adjustible with 3.7" travel and has higher spring rate 450 lbs./in vs 400 lbs/in for Chieftain. Spring rate is a ratio used to measure how resistant a spring is to being compressed or expanded. Sound quite expensive cheaper to get spanner wrench. More would be better but considering HD has only 2" of travel seems fine to me.
Hi, yes 3.7" isn't bad, but too stiff at 450lbs for a light weight like me. The Chieftans 4.5" with a lighter spring would suit me much much better. This will be the first mod I do when I get my Indian classic (if I don't get the Chieftan that is)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Adam,

If these are made like the Vics (and I have reason to think they are) and if I remember correctly from a year or so when I got into mine, and if the frame/swingarm for the Chiefs and the Chieftain are exactly the same, then it looks like you will need the shock and probably the link along with the rocker if it is different and, of course, if I am correct. With the new geometry you'll likely pick up some height and swingarm travel as well. Rig the airfill and you're golden. A whole lot of ifs, on purpose, as I have no shop manual yet, so I am speaking off the top of my head and with no special knowledge or authority. Others will chime in with corrections if I am too wide of the mark. All in all, a pretty iffy post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone done this mod or is there any new information? I ride with my Dad on the back, and would love the extra travel with out having to add even more preload than I already have. I own a BMW R1200GS Adventure too, so, the oodles of travel makes for a pillowy ride on the big GS compared to my Chief Classic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts