Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends are headed to death valley, there might be a little off roading to get to the race track, not too steep, a couple of guys in the group are on fat bobs everyone else on adventure bikes, and the fat bob guys are gung ho about it. Anyone here done a bit of fire road? Any tips? Has anyone put base plates or raised their front shocks to make this more manageable?
Also on the way back we are planning on camping along the sonora pass, which might take a little fire road trails which I definitely need, so any tips will be awesome! I'm taking the bike one way or the other (I dont have any other bike), its how much I can push my luck..

·
Founding member
664 Posts
I've done it a few times. Went to watch a buddy do a off road race, about 5 miles of fire road. Got a lot of thumbs up. Squished my Gremlin Bell. Pick a line and try to hold it.

Reactions: OL'55

·
Bronze member
2,370 Posts
I've done fire / dirt "roads" on mine many a time.
Slow and steady wins the race, or will at least get you there.
Mines lowered also. Just pick your line carefully.
I've made it to Sheep Mountain Table in the SD Bad Lands, and the sign says, high clearance vehicles only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My friends are headed to death valley, there might be a little off roading to get to the race track, not too steep, a couple of guys in the group are on fat bobs everyone else on adventure bikes, and the fat bob guys are gung ho about it. Anyone here done a bit of fire road? Any tips? Has anyone put base plates or raised their front shocks to make this more manageable?
Also on the way back we are planning on camping along the sonora pass, which might take a little fire road trails which I definitely need, so any tips will be awesome! I'm taking the bike one way or the other (I dont have any other bike), its how much I can push my luck..
My dad, uncle and I did 45 miles on a fire break dirt road in Montana to SD. Like all the others have said slow and steady, and keep your line.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,912 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain has more ”dirt road” time than half the DP bikes in Florida!
Ask anyone that rides with me and he or she will back that up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts