Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was involved in a NBAA briefing regarding general aviation (corporate aviation) and problems getting tires from the manufacturers. This has been pushed up to the corporate presidential level and the feedback we got was that general aviaition and recreational tires (ATVs, motorcycles, and such) have some of the lowest priority in the tire manufacturing schedule. From what I was told this is not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. From a corporate fleet level we are having to stock up on tires so we don't impact our flight schedule. I'm curious if others have seen this trying to get motorcycle tires. I was lucky enough to get a close out set of Michelin Commander 2 just after Christmas last year. Installed the front tire when things were torn down for the engine work I did but still have a rear tire sitting there for when I need it. Thought I post this thread to see what others have been seeing and warn others to plan ahead if needing tires anytime soon. Dean
I needed front and rear tires for my Springfield and started to look online and there's definitely a shortage. Looked at a lot of sites and I couldn't find a matching pair until I looked on Dennis Kirk. Found a matching set of Metzler's. A couple of days later, the rear tire was out of stock on their site. So glad I got them when I did. This is going along with all the other shortages here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bit the bullet. I went ahead and ordered tires from J&P. I got a set of WWW Metzelers for $425 OTD/shipped. Allegedly they're in stock. We'll see. I'll likely be sitting on these until June or July of next year.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I got this email this week.cycle gear is advertising discounts on tires. I bought my last set of comander 3s from them. If you buy the tires from them they will mount and balance them for 25 per tire. They don't take the tires off the bike. But I found that to be the best deal in my area. I love my new commanders. And I have heard they should get a lot of miles (25k). The dunlops e4s are super sticky and have some good life but not the same as the comanders. I don't know if they are having g trouble getting g tires , but if they are why would they be advertising them. Hope this helps
Font Material property Technology Poster Advertising

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I got this email this week.cycle gear is advertising discounts on tires. I bought my last set of comander 3s from them. If you buy the tires from them they will mount and balance them for 25 per tire. They don't take the tires off the bike. But I found that to be the best deal in my area. I love my new commanders. And I have heard they should get a lot of miles (25k). The dunlops e4s are super sticky and have some good life but not the same as the comanders. I don't know if they are having g trouble getting g tires , but if they are why would they be advertising them. Hope this helps
View attachment 653193
I 'd be curious if the tires were in stock or back ordered and the keep you in the hook because of the discounted price. Even if back ordered I would keep things on order. The demand over the winter months will be less than people who wait till springtime to get tires. D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was involved in a NBAA briefing regarding general aviation (corporate aviation) and problems getting tires from the manufacturers. This has been pushed up to the corporate presidential level and the feedback we got was that general aviaition and recreational tires (ATVs, motorcycles, and such) have some of the lowest priority in the tire manufacturing schedule. From what I was told this is not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. From a corporate fleet level we are having to stock up on tires so we don't impact our flight schedule. I'm curious if others have seen this trying to get motorcycle tires. I was lucky enough to get a close out set of Michelin Commander 2 just after Christmas last year. Installed the front tire when things were torn down for the engine work I did but still have a rear tire sitting there for when I need it. Thought I post this thread to see what others have been seeing and warn others to plan ahead if needing tires anytime soon. Dean
I walked into a motorcycle shop in Pasadena, Texas and they had the exact tire I was looking for, in the weird size I needed.

·
Registered
To many
36 Posts
I guess the Michelin rebate will be no good it you cannot get tires, I have a bunch of there tires that's being on backorder since March. And now workers are going a strike, I guess that's not going to help getting stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced the front and rear tires (Metzler) through the Indian dealer and they had them in stock. They had a two week back log but charged me $513 out the door price. I was going to go to a non-dealer shop but they could not get the tires.

Tim
I heard ofd the shortage and wanted to ensure I had fresh tires for my Challenger for Sturgis 2022. Looked for hours and found Dennis Kirk has them right now. Bought a set last night and will store them until my Sturgis bike prep next year

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
583 Posts
I own 5 motorcycles.
Now in addition to hoarding toilet paper, paper towels, pasta and bottled water I must start hoarding “TIRES.” I never thought it would come to this in my lifetime!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the magical solution: The 60,000 IATSE workers set to go on strike on Monday can go to the ports and work there and other supply chain labor shortages while striking. They'll have an income, help out the country, and possibly get the items they're originally on strike for.

Boom. Problem solved. But please, don't suggest I run for office. I can't be solving all the problems all the time...I have drums to play and motorcycles to ride. :LOL:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess the Michelin rebate will be no good it you cannot get tires, I have a bunch of there tires that's being on backorder since March. And now workers are going a strike, I guess that's not going to help getting stuff.
I hadn't heard about a possible strike @ Michelin and tried to find info about it w/o any luck.

I did find this interesting though, the Denver Int'l Airport security staff have voted in favor of going on strike. If they were to shut down, that would really gum up the works. - https://kdvr.com/video/denver-airport-security-workers-vote-in-favor-of-strike/7063434/

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
583 Posts
Don’t worry we have “Pistol” Pete Buttigieg - He’s got this!
After all Transpo in South Bend has 20 routes and 60 vehicles is it’s fleet. They all run on biodiesel and natural gas! The system ran like a Swiss watch under his leadership as mayor. He will have this backed up cargo ship/ports and supply chain fiasco sorted out in the next week or two!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Like I stated before, I would certainly plan ahead and get tires early before riding season comes back. Dean

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pirelli Night Dragon for sale - $2500.00
Don’t try to “low ball” me, I know what I have!!
This time next summer we will all be scrounging around for rubber like a bum looking for cigarette butts…..
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

41 - 53 of 53 Posts