Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I started this year with a matching set of Avon Cobra Chromes. Started looking for my second set about 1 1/2 months ago and couldn't find any sets in stock. I am now running a Bridgestone Excedra 704 on the rear and a Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 on the front. The bike is still riding like a dream. The rear rides good but the front runs surprisingly well, especially in slower maneuvers. I may stay with it in the future.

Been riding over 50 years and don't know when I started making sure I was running matching sets, but in all honesty, the average rider will never notice the difference in the bikes handling whether they are running a matching set or not. As long as the correct sizes and types are used , there will never be a problem.

·
Administrator
18,431 Posts
Some of you read my posts about riding 2,000 mi to get a matching set of E4’s only to find out the dealership “didn’t know” that 2021 RM’s have a 17-inch front wheel. (Side comment: WTF?)

Now we are dealing with Julie’s bike. Our local dealership (Indian of Denver) had three matching sets of Dunlop American Elites (no E4’s). They sold all three sets in the two days it took us to play phone tag with the parts dept. Now they have nothing that matches her RM.

I foresee much internet surfing in our future. The “usuals” (Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, etc) all have zilch. One of the other forum guys mentioned in another thread that Goldwings have the ‘zack same rear tire as hers in an E4, but not the front. Sigh…

·
Bronze member
2,988 Posts
Hink, that’s what I ran into…could find a front, but not a matching rear, or vise versa with other brands.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So who all has ordered tires that they're not planning on having installed until about mid-summer next year? I ask because I'm estimating that to be about the time I'll need a new set and am considering getting in on some of that back-ordered action now just so I can be in line for when things actually ship.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dennis Kirk has a few left.. A lot of them are out of stock, (Dunlops and Metzelers) But they have some tires the right size.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am having a hard time getting a tube for my brand new Honda Africa Twin.

·
Rider
411 Posts
My local dealer ordered Michelin Comm 3s for me two weeks ago and had them in a week . Pricey job but needed badly ,stock E3s only lasted 13400.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
How long to tires last on the shelf?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
How long to tires last on the shelf?
My rule of thumb is that I won't run a tire that is over 6 years old. Most manufacturers won't sell them after 5 years. This is because the rubber deteriorates just from the volatile compounds evaporating out over time and loses flexibility and grip, making it dangerous to ride in many cases, and increasing the potential for tire failure.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My rule of thumb is that I won't run a tire that is over 6 years old. Most manufacturers won't sell them after 5 years. This is because the rubber deteriorates just from the volatile compounds evaporating out over time and loses flexibility and grip, making it dangerous to ride in many cases, and increasing the potential for tire failure.
That was my worry. It took the dealer about three weeks to get a rear tire in for me (Metzler Cruisetech). My front tire will probably last through next season, as the riding season here in NY is coming to an end, but I don't want to buy a tire and have it not be fit to install next season.

·
Bronze member
3,573 Posts
well that is the silver lining in all this... the tires are months old not years... I have enough OCD that I check the DOT date on every tire I buy... you'd be surprised how old some of them tires are... especially if you have a odd ball size..
So who all has ordered tires that they're not planning on having installed until about mid-summer next year? I ask because I'm estimating that to be about the time I'll need a new set and am considering getting in on some of that back-ordered action now just so I can be in line for when things actually ship.
Me

·
Registered
To many
36 Posts
Believe this I just had a tire come in from Dunlop date code was 2013. Call them up they say it's good for 10 to 12 years. I don't know what they were smoking, I rotate so they don't get older then 2 to 3 years old. I told them on commercial that DOT will red tag you if your tires are over 10 years old. I could not believe what they said, put it on it's warranted.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tires have been a Sh*t show. I ordered commander IIIs in May for a t7000 mile trip in September. they never came in. i ended up putting Whitewalls on the RM as it was all I could find. (Dunlop American Elites). it was touch and go up to 3 days before i left!!1

While i was on the trip 2000 miles from home, i got a call from a dealer with commander IIIs i had called him prior looking for tires. The price was a gougue but i bought them anyway. As I put 7000 miles on my "new pair" in a month, i knew i would need a set for next year.

good news, i have tires for 2022
bad news - paid through the nose!

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
583 Posts
I had a tough time getting a set of Pirelli Night Dragons for my Chef Bobber DH. I started looking in late August with 4500 miles on the bike. My Indian dealership, Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Dennis Kirk and all the major suppliers were back ordered. As far as I know they still are. I found a set at Chapareal Motorsports in San Bernardino,CA and had the rear tire drop shipped to my dealer. It took over two weeks to get to Pennsylvania. I got 5000 miles out of the rear. I have 5600 miles on the front now. I will replace it at the end of October. My advice - start looking for tires early. Don’t wait until your current set is toast!

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
556 Posts
Just set up my 10,000 mile check for the 18th of Oct 2021. I told the dealer I will need a back tire and he said he just got in 3; I bought it outright to make sure it doesn't disappear by then. The dealer said its been touch and go getting tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I keep oscillating between buying tires now and sitting on them until needed sometime 2nd half of the summer '22 or waiting until March and ordering/buying them then. Buying a set of WWW Metzelers now is just about $500 and I know it's going to cost about $150 to have them installed (eventually).

Also while debating this over the past couple of days, one of the sources w/ the tires sold out.

·
Rider
695 Posts
I had the rear tire replaced on my Roadmaster a couple of weeks ago. The E4 was on intergalactic backorder, but my dealer did have a couple of E3s. The dealer was really proud of that tire, but I at least was able to get a tire put on before I went on a 1300 mile round trip.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I finally found a matching set at an Indian dealership near me (Bridgetones) and paid a little south of $600 installed. Yeah, really expensive but hard to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For challenger owners JP Cycles still have Avon cobra chromes on sale in our size.
Paid right around $400 for the set and the build dates are March and June of this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With current state of global shipping, manufacturing setbacks, etc. certain sized tires in the market are definitely a waiting game. I'm in the Seattle area, worked with a local shop (not the stealership) for Metzeler ME888 Marathon's. They were able to get me the proper German-manufactured Metzelers in a couple of weeks, but a buddy who rides a Harley with a different-sized rear tire waited almost three months.
I work in a company which imports various products from around the globe. Our logistics department has given us multiple forecasts to expect continuing shortages and ship delays for 6 to 9 more months, at least. Consumer goods will be most significantly affected...do your Christmas shopping now...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts