Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was involved in a NBAA briefing regarding general aviation (corporate aviation) and problems getting tires from the manufacturers. This has been pushed up to the corporate presidential level and the feedback we got was that general aviaition and recreational tires (ATVs, motorcycles, and such) have some of the lowest priority in the tire manufacturing schedule. From what I was told this is not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. From a corporate fleet level we are having to stock up on tires so we don't impact our flight schedule. I'm curious if others have seen this trying to get motorcycle tires. I was lucky enough to get a close out set of Michelin Commander 2 just after Christmas last year. Installed the front tire when things were torn down for the engine work I did but still have a rear tire sitting there for when I need it. Thought I post this thread to see what others have been seeing and warn others to plan ahead if needing tires anytime soon. Dean

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just replaced the front and rear tires (Metzler) through the Indian dealer and they had them in stock. They had a two week back log but charged me $513 out the door price. I was going to go to a non-dealer shop but they could not get the tires.

Tim

·
Senior member / rider
1,488 Posts
I've heard anecdotally that tire availability is spotty, but I personally haven't had an issue yet. I do plan on a new set this winter if I can secure them.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Just about everyone I know is seeing some issue. Not able to get exactly the brand you want without waiting for an unknown period of time. Has been going on for at least a couple of months now, seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

·
Registered
To many
35 Posts
Tires have been a problem for the last 9 months and it don't look to get better any time soon. I just have some come in the other day that being on BO since March, and I have others that I'am waiting for since March.

·
Bronze member
2,975 Posts
Yes. Needed tires about two months ago for my Challenger, so started checking online retailers (Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Dennis Kirk, etc) and none had a matching set of any brand/model (except I seems to remember one seller having a set of Kendas). Checked my local dealers as well, only one had a set (Metzler) and I bought them over the phone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Had my bike at the dealer for a little maintenance. They called me a few days later to tell me that the back tire needed replacement. I am running E4s right now, and they said that they have some stockpiled. They wanted $580 to replace it, so I checked with my local wrench (non-dealer). He said his price was about half that, but was having problems getting Dunlops. Thought about changing brands, but don't need a front tire yet, and I wanted to have them check the TPMS while they were there. Gonna pick it up this weekend -- had to save up a little money to get it back :) .

·
Bronze member
3,564 Posts
I started shopping (or will this weekend).. I don't need a front but I will need a rear in a 1000 miles or so and I don't know if I'll get the miles on before winter... having said all that and reading about how hard it is to get a tire... if you follow the supply chain issue it isn't going to get any better and I will need one next spring... so I will buy one and hold on to it until then... Dunlop E-4 is what I'm running now they last 12K miles or one riding season

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
671 Posts
Dealer up here in 🇨🇦 Told me if I want a set of tires for next season to order them now, 🤞🏻🤞🏻That I see them before then!
I had a rear flat and it cost me $700 for an E3 installed 🤬

·
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer up here in 🇨🇦 Told me if I want a set of tires for next season to order them now, 🤞🏻🤞🏻That I see them before then!
I had a rear flat and it cost me $700 for an E3 installed 🤬
Yeah, that will be the next issue with tires in demand everyone is going to start price gouging. It is one thing to pay that much for a Michelin Commander 3 or a Dunlop E4 but that much for an E3 is a slap in the face! D

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
671 Posts
Yeah, that will be the next issue with tires in demand everyone is going to start price gouging. It is one thing to pay that much for a Michelin Commander 3 or a Dunlop E4 but that much for an E3 is a slap in the face! D
Yeah that’s what I said to the dealer and was basically told to go f…k myself…. Needless to say I’ll never deal with them again!

Reactions: Dean E

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got new tires for my Roadmaster last month. There definitely were issues. When the shop put the estimate together, there was one brand that wasn't back ordered. I called the next day to say "go for it" and by then even that brand was back ordered. We ordered some tires, and the front came in pretty quickly, but the rear took several more weeks. In short, it was the most difficult tire replacement I've ever gone through. The month before that, the same shop had tires in stock for my 2014 Triumph Scrambler, so "spotty" is a good description.

Reactions: TigerGA

·
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got new tires for my Roadmaster last month. There definitely were issues. When the shop put the estimate together, there was one brand that wasn't back ordered. I called the next day to say "go for it" and by then even that brand was back ordered. We ordered some tires, and the front came in pretty quickly, but the rear took several more weeks. In short, it was the most difficult tire replacement I've ever gone through. The month before that, the same shop had tires in stock for my 2014 Triumph Scrambler, so "spotty" is a good description.
Yeah I lucked out with the Michelin Commander 3s being new and in demand I got a set of 2s for about $300. I mount and balance my own tires since I do as little with the service shops as I can. Much rather do it all myself to make sure it is done right. Dean

·
Registered
325 Posts
I operated that way for years when I lived close to a friend who had balancing equipment. These days I'm just letting the shop take care of it.

·
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,138 Posts
I just put avon Cobra chromes on my RM. I was looking at the commander 3s, night dragons and these. Took me a long time to find an online place that had a matching set. Finally found the avons through Amazon.

Haven't purchased tires in a few years, but it's definitely more difficult now to locate a set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A week ago, I had Commander 3's installed on the Scout Sixty to replace the stock Kenda's. An Indian dealer did it. The tire replacement was scheduled a few weeks prior, the tires had been stocked and were waiting my service appointment time. When I picked up the bike, the service mech was telling another customer that tires were getting hard to obtain.

A month ago, I had the rear tire on my Monster go flat due to a large screw. The shop that replaced the rear tire is a Dunlop dealer and does work on all types of bike, but specializing in Ducati and race bikes. They had a good selection of Dunlop's on the rack.
The flat was a Michelin, and I wanted to keep front and rear Michelin.
The parts guy/mechanic looked up Michelins on different websites like Revzilla. They were all out of stock for my particular size.
Then he remembered there was a Michelin on the rack. We looked at it, it was the same size and current model of the tire that went flat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was involved in a NBAA briefing regarding general aviation (corporate aviation) and problems getting tires from the manufacturers. This has been pushed up to the corporate presidential level and the feedback we got was that general aviaition and recreational tires (ATVs, motorcycles, and such) have some of the lowest priority in the tire manufacturing schedule. From what I was told this is not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. From a corporate fleet level we are having to stock up on tires so we don't impact our flight schedule. I'm curious if others have seen this trying to get motorcycle tires. I was lucky enough to get a close out set of Michelin Commander 2 just after Christmas last year. Installed the front tire when things were torn down for the engine work I did but still have a rear tire sitting there for when I need it. Thought I post this thread to see what others have been seeing and warn others to plan ahead if needing tires anytime soon. Dean
Yes,I have notice "sold out" "on backorder" in the sizes that fit my chieftain (which are also popular sizes with HD baggers)
Still have some miles left on my E-4s,but looking at replacements.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
So this is interesting. From an Aviation perspective I understand what has happened is that the Part 135 operators have purchased up all the tires in the market leaving Part 91 operators like me to deal with this mess when the need arises. I have instructed my aviation team to start to do a search for the tires and place orders to get into the backorder que to increase our chances of getting tires if we have a bod one go. I love this whole new economic model we have here in the states.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So this is interesting. From an Aviation perspective I understand what has happened is that the Part 135 operators have purchased up all the tires in the market leaving Part 91 operators like me to deal with this mess when the need arises. I have instructed my aviation team to start to do a search for the tires and place orders to get into the backorder que to increase our chances of getting tires if we have a bod one go. I love this whole new economic model we have here in the states. Don't worry, Joe is gonna fix it.
There is a tire shortage worldwide.

·
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So this is interesting. From an Aviation perspective I understand what has happened is that the Part 135 operators have purchased up all the tires in the market leaving Part 91 operators like me to deal with this mess when the need arises. I have instructed my aviation team to start to do a search for the tires and place orders to get into the backorder que to increase our chances of getting tires if we have a bod one go. I love this whole new economic model we have here in the states. Don't worry, Joe is gonna fix it.
We use a local shop that does a lot of wheel overhauls. Being the amount of business we do with them they accommodate us. We are a part 91 fleet operator. We are stocking up while we still have tires available to us. One of the advantages of being a member of a NBAA tech committee is getting some insight on what is happening in the industry. When I heard that general aviation and recreation vehicles had some of the lowest priorities I stocked up on aviation tires and then informed my fellow riders of some of these shortages. Tires are available but you need to plan ahead and not wait till the last minute. Get some motorcycle tires coming in the winter months when demand is low. Don't let tires hold you back next spring for riding. Dean

1 - 20 of 53 Posts