Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’m a new scout owner and I like to tour on these mid size bikes. I’ve never had a fairing before. I was wondering if anyone has this color matched fairing from Indian and would love your opinion if you do have it. Does it cause any turbulence? Help with fatigue? Is it easy to take off? Also, if you have better pics than the listing, I’d love to see them!

Thanks.
Quick Release Fairing - Indian Motorcycle® Red Item # 2884116-639 | Sturgis Live

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey guys,

I’m a new scout owner and I like to tour on these mid size bikes. I’ve never had a fairing before. I was wondering if anyone has this color matched fairing from Indian and would love your opinion if you do have it. Does it cause any turbulence? Help with fatigue? Is it easy to take off? Also, if you have better pics than the listing, I’d love to see them!

Thanks.
Quick Release Fairing - Indian Motorcycle® Red Item # 2884116-639 | Sturgis Live
If you search the forum for ”scout fairing” you should find a number of threads on this. I think the general consensus is that most owners like it though it’s a bit pricey. I like mine, was a game changer for longer rides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you search the forum for ”scout fairing” you should find a number of threads on this. I think the general consensus is that most owners like it though it’s a bit pricey. I like mine, was a game changer for longer rides.
Thanks - should have done a search - I’m usually good about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also a new Scout owner who is on the fence about shelling out big bucks for a factory fairing.
I think it’s kinda cool that you can order them color matched. You can definitely buy a cheaper fairing, but then you’ll be paying to paint it. I really don’t know how much that would cost. I bet it’s still cheaper to buy a non Indian fairing and paint it, but it’d close the gap a little.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Targetman - thanks for the welcoming commentary encouraging people to post. I always hesitate to say anything as I am afraid I didn't search well, missed a thread, and will irritate folks! So This is my key issue with the Scout...I love the bike but at interstate speeds I get a lot of wind. Not buffeting, but real solid wind on the chest and helmet. I have a dart screen which does wonders for the wind under 60, but after that its like its not there. I am planning on a cross country ride next year in May and very much want to keep the scout and ride this bike as I do really enjoy it. While I will avoid superslab for as much as I can, inevitably I will need to do a good deal of high speed riding. I have read mixed reviews on the fairing...if anyone can give me some feedback on long term high speed results I'd really appreciate it! I am 5'10" by the way. Would also welcome any more feedback on things that would make the scout more suited for a long haul...shocks and a better seat are on my list...but the $$$ are adding up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Search but please start new discussions. I hate those forums were everyone that askes a question gets bashed for not searching, bringing up an old subject, and such.
I wasn’t bashing him or anything. I just can only speak to my experience and I wanted him to know there are other threads with others opinions and experience.

I enjoy taking longer day rides on my Scout. Before I got the fairing rides were usually limited to around 250 miles or less because otherwise I was just wore out from all the wind to the chest, death grip on the handles, and it wasn’t enjoyable for me. After the fairing, most my day rides are now upwards of 400+ miles and honestly I’m not fatigued at all anymore.

The downsides to the fairing imho is the price and the design of the rubber gasket around the headlight. it works well but it’s a pita to get on properly, and an even bigger pain to put back on if you have to change a bulb after awhile. It also is dumb to have a “quick release“ fairing and a semi permanent gasket on your headlight.

I‘m 5’8” and 210 lbs ( all American muscle), reduced reach bars, Indian floorboards, Corbin dual touring seat, and 5“ windshield. Perfect comfort for me. Also recently added Nitron R1’s mostly so the old lady could ride easier and she loves them. Said she feels like she is riding on air now compared to a very harsh ride on OEM shocks. They improved the ride for me as well.

I’m of the opinion that the Scout can be configured to be an all around great bike for most everything if you do the mods and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
221 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I think it makes a big difference at highway speeds. I think a bigger windshield will be necessary to optimize performance over 65mph for sustained periods of time.

Its a lot of scratch, I paid a lot for the Indian logo, and frankly I would do it again. It looks awesome. I also like that I can strip it and the saddle bags off and go bare knuckles if I want.

·
Founding member
483 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my Scout with the same fairing you're asking about. The color match is perfect, and the wind protection is much better than I was able to achieve with any combination of windshields and lower wind deflectors. The windshield is one that I made from the stock fairing that came with my 2014 Vintage. I have since replaced it with a Freedom windshield, which I like better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wasn’t bashing him or anything. I just can only speak to my experience and I wanted him to know there are other threads with others opinions and experience.

I enjoy taking longer day rides on my Scout. Before I got the fairing rides were usually limited to around 250 miles or less because otherwise I was just wore out from all the wind to the chest, death grip on the handles, and it wasn’t enjoyable for me. After the fairing, most my day rides are now upwards of 400+ miles and honestly I’m not fatigued at all anymore.

The downsides to the fairing imho is the price and the design of the rubber gasket around the headlight. it works well but it’s a pita to get on properly, and an even bigger pain to put back on if you have to change a bulb after awhile. It also is dumb to have a “quick release“ fairing and a semi permanent gasket on your headlight.

I‘m 5’8” and 210 lbs ( all American muscle), reduced reach bars, Indian floorboards, Corbin dual touring seat, and 5“ windshield. Perfect comfort for me. Also recently added Nitron R1’s mostly so the old lady could ride easier and she loves them. Said she feels like she is riding on air now compared to a very harsh ride on OEM shocks. They improved the ride for me as well.

I’m of the opinion that the Scout can be configured to be an all around great bike for most everything if you do the mods and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
DFresh - many thanks for the informative and fast response - really helped out. And for what it's worth, I def did not mean to imply you were bashing anyone - I found your reply to be perfectly reasonable. Thanks to all the others that added their thoughts as well. Buying the accessories is such a dice roll at the end of the day...One thing that was mentioned that struck me...I thought the fairing was a QR item...but someone mentioned that there is a semi permanent mounting ring that stays on the bike even if the fairing is removed...? what is that exactly and what does it look like? Any pics would be great many thanks again!

·
Registered
483 Posts
DFresh - many thanks for the informative and fast response - really helped out. And for what it's worth, I def did not mean to imply you were bashing anyone - I found your reply to be perfectly reasonable. Thanks to all the others that added their thoughts as well. Buying the accessories is such a dice roll at the end of the day...One thing that was mentioned that struck me...I thought the fairing was a QR item...but someone mentioned that there is a semi permanent mounting ring that stays on the bike even if the fairing is removed...? what is that exactly and what does it look like? Any pics would be great many thanks again!
I don’t have a picture of the gasket itself and I don’t feel like pulling my fairing off lol, but the purpose of the gasket is to create a seal of sorts and fill the gap between the fairing and the headlight. Without it, air rushes in around the headlight and then directly into your upper body. The gasket sits inside the fairing so you can’t see it, but it does press firmly into the fairing in an upside down U shape. To seat the gasket, you have to unscrew the headlight ring, set the gasket in place, and then reclamp the headlight ring which pinches and holds the gasket in place. It’s a real pain though. The fairing itself is fairly easy to take on and off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I had my Scout Bobber, I loved the open wind when I was bar hopping or putting around town. At highway speed, the wind got real old real quick. The Indian fairing wasn’t around at the time and ended up picking up a couple of set ups from Memphis Shades.

I had a “cafe fairing” that looked fairly similar to the stock headlight cowl that I liked for in town riding. But I also picked up a better coverage wind shield for the highway trips.

The setup worked great since the mount was a quick release set up and it only took a few seconds to swap the screens out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts