Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Low Tinted Windshield on my Chief and it is perfect for around town and short trips. I'm planning a week long run to Colorado this summer and I'm wondering how the Tall Windshield performs as far as protection and buffeting. Anyone have any experience with this windshield?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a tall windshield and I love is but you need to fit one before you buy because it could be a problem meaning how tall you are, good luck and enjoy your trip

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a tall windshield and I love is but you need to fit one before you buy because it could be a problem meaning how tall you are, good luck and enjoy your trip
I'm 6'3" tall and with the Low Tinted Windshield installed, I'm looking just over the top. It's nice because you still get a little wind in your face. The tall might be more comfortable for all day, long mile days.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I'm 6'3" tall and with the Low Tinted Windshield installed, I'm looking just over the top. It's nice because you still get a little wind in your face. The tall might be more comfortable for all day, long mile days.
You must have some really long legs. I'm 6'0", inseam 30-31, and I can see over the top of the factory screen on a Vintage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6'5" and I have the tall windshield. I originally had the stock sized one, but I was getting bad head buffeting with that as I don't think it was tall enough for me.

It has improved since I got the tall windshield. In terms of height I can just see over it if I'm sitting up straight. You still get a fair bit of wind in your face from below though.

I also have the lower deflectors which make a huge difference in this regard, but the reduced airflow also means you will feel the heat from the motor and exhaust more.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I also am 6'3" tall and have tall windshield. The standard one is right in my line of sight. And was kind of annoying. The tall one is up to the center of my forehead. I also have the lower deflectors and they work great. No heat problems in our cool Wisconsin climate. Strongly recommended for long ride. Some guys hate looking through a windshield. But it is fine with me. If it fogs up I can stretch and look over it. My dealer said it was the first one he sold.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The Vintage comes with the tall windshield, I replaced it with a Cee Bailey 12" windshield... Can't tell any difference between the 2 as far as wind or buffeting goes ... But I like looking over it verses through it

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've got the mid-height on my Classic and with the backrest to sit up straight I look over the top. Got the lower deflectors for winter riding and they are very effective at reducing head buffeting. Will see if heat is an issue next summer but I doubt it after the engine chaps come off. Got a low shield from Cee Baileys that I will customize this winter and will check that with the lowers for summer riding. For protecting the teeth from stones etc. you cant beat the mid (or tall).

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
The Vintage comes with the tall windshield, I replaced it with a Cee Bailey 12" windshield... Can't tell any difference between the 2 as far as wind or buffeting goes ... But I like looking over it verses through it
What did you do with the stock tall windshield?

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Stock windshield on Vintage is the standard height windshield. Low is 3" shorter than standard. Tall is 3" taller than standard. Don't sound like much but really helps us vertically endowed guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Stock windshield on Vintage is the standard height windshield. Low is 3" shorter than standard. Tall is 3" taller than standard. Don't sound like much but really helps us vertically endowed guys.
And that stock windshield is 14", is that correct? I think I read somewhere that the Cee Bailey is 12", maiking it 2 inches shorter - but that might also be what I red about the Indian medium height, can't remember.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
My bike is in heated storage 25 miles from my house. Might go visit my baby on sunday. Will measure it then. I took the measurements from the 3 windshields on Indians website.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My stock windshield measured from headlight cutout to top of windshield is 18" ...The Cee Bailey windshield measured the same way is 12" ..... Dealer told me that the Vintage came standard with tall windshield and I couldn't exchange it but, could buy short or medium windshield for about 5 bills.....:cool:

·
Founding member
961 Posts
I'm considering the 'tall' for my Chieftain after a long ride on Monday. At 75 mph into a strong wind I got head buffeting and wind noise I'd rather do without. I ducked down to look through the shield and it was calm! :) Very nice but I couldn't ride that way. I prefer looking over a shield but I had an Electra Glide with a shield I looked through and it was fine. With the Chieftain's electric shield I'd have the best of both worlds if I could look over the tall shield in the lowest setting. I'm 6'1" with a 33/34 inseam. Anyone with those dimensions and experience with the tall shield? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Set up my Custom Classic with Medium Height..... Installed both, Med & Tall at dealership to make the decision.....Tall just didn't have the look I wanted.....plus, I am 6'3" and can just look over top/Med. install with a stretch.

How about the lower wind deflectors? Is the Indian mfg. only type that will fit Chief? The first ride, I noticed the turbulence coming forming lower right front and it hits me at the chin! Is there a nice chrome set available made for easy On/Off Like windshield?

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I have the lowers on my Classic. Makes a difference on wind on your legs. Don't know if anyone else makes lowers for Indian. Not as easy to remove as windshield but not too bad. [never take mine off] I think a lot of wind from gap between headlight and windshield. Handlebar bag would help I don't have one yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Low Tinted Windshield on my Chief and it is perfect for around town and short trips. I'm planning a week long run to Colorado this summer and I'm wondering how the Tall Windshield performs as far as protection and buffeting. Anyone have any experience with this windshield?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I had one installed on my 2015 the day I bought it. It gives me plenty of protection from the wind. The cold air I get is from below the windshield and it comes straight up to my face. I am sure this summer the heat will be nice. Love my Classic!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts