Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at ceramic coating from Jet-Hot to try to tame the heat off the header. I've gutted the Cat, changed pipes and I'm disappointed in the results from that effort. I've talked to Jet-Hot and they have a convincing sales pitch. But I'd love to hear about anyone having real experience with how well it works. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Have used JetHot many times.....YES, it works. They coat the inside and outside so the metal in between is pretty irrelevant..expect about 70% less heat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, 70% reduction is way better than expected. I'd pay extra for that kind of results!! Thanks for the feedback.

Anybody else have any experience with ceramic coating?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had Jet-Hot ceramic coat my rear header pipe immediately after American Custom decatted it (had American Custom direct ship to Jet-Hot). Would definitely do it again, and Jet-Hot was a joy to deal work with.

·
Rider
537 Posts
Talked to Brian and Jet-Hot today, heck of a nice guy and very helpful. Going to either have the cat removed by American Custom and send it to get coated or get a new header without the cat and send it over to Jet-Hot so I'm not down for three or so weeks. Brian said the coating alone with drop the heat by about 65%, would guess without the cat out it would be closer to 90%.....

·
Rider
674 Posts
I'm looking at ceramic coating from Jet-Hot to try to tame the heat off the header. I've gutted the Cat, changed pipes and I'm disappointed in the results from that effort. I've talked to Jet-Hot and they have a convincing sales pitch. But I'd love to hear about anyone having real experience with how well it works. Thanks.
I thinker jet hot is a good way to go,, what we did in the ol days was use while header pipe paint in a spray can. Spray the inside of the fishtail header on new pipes,, “ boom “ no bluing and the chrome looks brand new, Years later

·
Registered
147 Posts
It cost me $135 last year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Talked to Brian and Jet-Hot today, heck of a nice guy and very helpful. Going to either have the cat removed by American Custom and send it to get coated or get a new header without the cat and send it over to Jet-Hot so I'm not down for three or so weeks. Brian said the coating alone with drop the heat by about 65%, would guess without the cat out it would be closer to 90%.....
When I did mine, I purchased a like-new header pipe on eBay and had them ship it directly to American Custom for the decat. Then I had American Custom ship the header pipe directly to Jet-Hot for the ceramic coating, and then Jet-Hot sent it back to me. Saved a lot of money in shipping costs that way in, plus I kept my original header pipe in case I ever need to switch it back. Did the same thing with the American Custom Bomber mufflers, sans ceramic coating. If you watch eBay and are a little patient, you can get some really good deals on the pipes. I think I paid $85 shipped for a nearly new set of mufflers and $125 shipped for the rear header pipe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I boxed up the header and pipes today and shipped to Jet Hot. Looking forward to getting this done and riding with some reduced heat. Thanks for the input from everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking into the Jet-Hot route and saw this conversation. Quick question: do you still need the heat shields with ceramic coating?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes you’ll still need the heat shields. My best experience was probably 30-35% reduced heat. It helped but not a dramatic reduction of heat. I live in Louisiana so consider I ride in some extremely hot summers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is a suggestion that worked a miracle; my dealer took a second heat shield and fit it over the top of the existing heat shield, he left about 1/4 inch between the shields for air movement. He did a real neat job, you can’t tell there are two heat shields. The results are unbelievable; I can actually touch the heat shield with my bare hand after a long ride; yes it is very warm but not overly hot..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you have some photos and can they be ordered from Indian?
Do you have some photos and can they be ordered from Indian?
i think my dealer had an extra heat shield from a different customer that completely changed out his exhaust system; I’m not much of a tech guru and haven’t downloaded any pictures to this page; I’ll see if I can figure it out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts