Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've had hotel reservations in Spearfish for about 6 months. Plan is to meet up with an old friend coming from Washington (I'll be riding from Missouri). We're now planning to make a final decision in July. I've ridden through Sturgis/Black Hills, but never been to the rally. Just retired this month and have been really looking forward to the trip.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I respect everyones decision not to attend, it’s always best to play it safe.
My wife are in the vulnerable age group and we plan on attending as we always do but we may avoid the packed bars and restaurants. With us it’s all about the riding but we do enjoy the people and the atmosphere.
For what it’s worth, they are now saying the virus has weakened and people contracting it are recovering faster with milder symptoms.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I will be going. I’ve gone almost every year since ‘92. I will be solo and tent camping off my KTM ADV. I’m staying away from crowds and mostly dual sport riding the gravel roads and ATV trails. I also plan on doing a loop through Wyoming exploring Back Country Discovery Routes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
From Sturgis.com (May 29th):

No Sturgis Rally Venue Has Postponed or Canceled Their Event.
Concerts, events, and activities are on schedule for late summer.
We look forward to seeing you August 7-15, 2020 at the 80th Sturgis Rally.
Organizations that have made public statements about 80th Sturgis Rally and the coronavirus so far include:
  • Sturgis Buffalo Chip – Moving forward as planned. They have had one band cancelation but say they are looking for replacements for any bands that cancel.
  • Glencoe Camp Resort – Moving forward as planned.
  • Pappy Hoel Campground – Moving forward as planned.
  • City of Sturgis – Moving forward as planned.

Since the City of Sturgis only controls what happens in Sturgis city limits and the vast majority of Rally activities (including riding, camping and events) happen at venues and campgrounds outside of the city limits it would take more than the city banning people from town to shut down the Sturgis Rally.
It's important to know what other Sturgis Rally promoter's positions are as well.
Sturgis Buffalo Chip President, Rod Woodruff has been releasing weekly videos to keep fans updated on the situation. He says that the Sturgis Buffalo Chip is planning to move forward with the Sturgis Rally.
See the full Sturgis Buffalo Chip's videos and COVID-19 statement here.
Mayor Mark Carstensen said previously that the city is still planning for the Sturgis motorcycle rally held annually in August. "We're 100 percent planning the rally," said Carstensen at a March 25 news briefing at Sturgis City Hall. On April 23, the City of Sturgis stated they will make a final decision on what will happen within city limits in its June 15 city council meeting.

For complete updates on Sturgis rally news inside and outside of town, and in the surrounding Black Hills, subscribe to the Sturgis.com Newsletter.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I've made my reservations for 4 nights at rapid City for the start of the event. Always part of a 12-14 days summer ride. I look forward to it every year, since 2006. Always the highlight of the year.Nothing was going to stop me. Not Covid, not riots, just bring personal protection....and I don't mean masks or plastic gloves.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've made my reservations for 4 nights at rapid City for the start of the event. Always part of a 12-14 days summer ride. I look forward to it every year, since 2006. Always the highlight of the year.Nothing was going to stop me. Not Covid, not riots, just bring personal protection....and I don't mean masks or plastic gloves.
God Bless America!

Reactions: Flat Tire Fred

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
rumor has it that ANTIFA is going to show up... I call BS... they try any shit between the bikers and cops... let's just say they will have to meet their recruiting goal again

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I have never been.. don't think I'll ever be.
But, to those who are going..
I will give a Prize. (I'm serious) to the first some one who gets a pic of shirtless or flashing lady, who is wearing a face mask!

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
FYI the Sturgis city council voted to allow the rally... it's on like Donkey Kong..

·
Bronze member
3,954 Posts
FYI the Sturgis city council voted to allow the rally... it's on like Donkey Kong..
It is going to be different and they said also they could cancel it at anytime if the situation changes

URGIS, S.D. (KOTA TV) - Get ready for the roar of motorcycles in the Hills.

By an 8 to 1 vote, the Council agrees to allow the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally to go on this year but with major modifications.
Councilor Steve Keszler was the one opposing vote.
The Rally's parade is not happening, contests, the opening ceremony and the popular B-1 flyover are also cancelled.
Vendors will be required to wear personal protective equipment, or PPE. If they don't have any, the city will provide it.
Parking will be allowed on Main street, but plaza seating and open container alcoholic drinks are not allowed.
Sanitation stations will be scattered throughout the downtown area as well.

This decision comes after weeks of public comment and debate affecting motorcyclists around the world and residents of the Black Hills.
Mass-testing is being considered for the safety of the residents, but has not been approved. Each test could cost between $75 and $150 per person.
"If mass testing happens, anyone who was interacting with the tens of thousands of people that come into our community are able to be tested so that they know they would need to self quarantine or also seek treatment," Daniel Ainslie, City of Sturgis city manager, said. "We are continuing to work with the Department of Homeland Security and state emergency office to try to get that done."

The local Good Deeds program will continue where volunteers will shop for items if residents feel it's too unsafe to step outside and buy necessities.
If COVID-19 numbers suddenly spike at any time before or during the rally, the Sturgis mayor can cancel all events immediately.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
What a bunch of manny pammy pussies! Are they f...ing kidding? Next thing you know, they will be serving Shirley Temples with umbrellas at the bars

·
Bronze member
3,954 Posts
Baron58- I should have know you would be the one posting the fear mongering BS.
Fear mongering? Just a repost of the actual news article from Sturgis.

Don‘t let your coolant get too hot..... LOL Talk about fear mongering.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? Ain't skeered of no COVID. We gonna b dare, Lord willing and da creek don't rise...

·
Bronze member
3,954 Posts
Baron58- "They could cancel the event at any time? Not happening. I'm sure you are not going and probably never plan to. Too many real bikers there for the Schwinn brigade. I would imagine your weekend ride consists of a ride to Starbucks and back, providing the weather is perfect. You troll the Challenger pages, although you don't own one and don't ride with anyone who has one. This topic should have remained a positive one to encourage those of us with the courage to not let the far left fear mongers (like you) and your personal pin up girls, Nancy Pelosi and AOC, scare anyone they can out of attending a bike rally?

WOW you know so much about me. LOL Lets clear some things up.

My typical ride is 200 miles a week.
I know 3 in my group that has Challengers and rode one way before you knew what they were.
I am a registered republican voter.
Been to Sturgis

Nothing negative about that post about Sturgis. It was purely what the Sturgis city council posted.

Its funny how that I somehow get on your nerves. Never made a post about you. You get all offended when you don't like what someone posts. Its very sad......

41 - 60 of 90 Posts