Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Didja?

• Hell Yea! I gave 'em a piece of my mind, and then some!

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I did!

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I've got no complaints here.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • No, I wanted to, but... meh.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Nope, I've just been stewing in the comfort of my garage...

Votes: 6 13.6%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! I finally snapped today, when I was reading on the forum that warranties for non-delivered scouts would be extended.

I thought to myself; "That's real nice! Good job Polaris." Then I thought, "Wait a second... why am I reading this on the internet?" So I huffed, and I puffed, and I sent a polite nastygram to Indian via their facebook, since I imagine they check that on the regular. I'll include the message at the end, but the gist of it is that if I'd bought a Dyna, like I was planning on doing this fall, I'd have the thing already. And if it'd fallen off the truck on the way to the dealership, at least someone would have called and told me about it.

So, is anyone else sending nastygrams or yelling at the dealer?

FB Message to Indian:

Hello Indian. I'm writing to tell you that, as a very new Indian/Polaris customer, I'm very disappointed. I Ordered a first run Scout, and not only has it not shown up, I've received not a word about why from the dealership. I was told from several sources that Indian was the way to go, that your customer service was great, and that I wouldn't regret it.

Well, I regret it. If I'd bought a Harley this fall, as I'd originally planned, it'd be here by now. If something had gone wrong with the production process, someone would have told me about it.

Instead, I'm wondering why I put down a $500 deposit on a machine I've never ridden. More than that, I'm wondering if I'm going to get a motorcycle at all, or if the ominous silence from manufacturer and dealership alike will continue forever.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I'm curious to see if they even answer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Howdy all! I finally snapped today, when I was reading on the forum that warranties for non-delivered scouts would be extended.

I thought to myself; "That's real nice! Good job Polaris." Then I thought, "Wait a second... why am I reading this on the internet?" So I huffed, and I puffed, and I sent a polite nastygram to Indian via their facebook, since I imagine they check that on the regular. I'll include the message at the end, but the gist of it is that if I'd bought a Dyna, like I was planning on doing this fall, I'd have the thing already. And if it'd fallen off the truck on the way to the dealership, at least someone would have called and told me about it.

So, is anyone else sending nastygrams or yelling at the dealer?

FB Message to Indian:

Hello Indian. I'm writing to tell you that, as a very new Indian/Polaris customer, I'm very disappointed. I Ordered a first run Scout, and not only has it not shown up, I've received not a word about why from the dealership. I was told from several sources that Indian was the way to go, that your customer service was great, and that I wouldn't regret it.

Well, I regret it. If I'd bought a Harley this fall, as I'd originally planned, it'd be here by now. If something had gone wrong with the production process, someone would have told me about it.

Instead, I'm wondering why I put down a $500 deposit on a machine I've never ridden. More than that, I'm wondering if I'm going to get a motorcycle at all, or if the ominous silence from manufacturer and dealership alike will continue forever.
I sent nearly the same thing in a FB message to them, no response. I sent another to Polaris, got a generic response about some parts being back-ordered that had nothing to do with my "inquiry". My incredible anticipation has turned into something very dark, and my frustration is turning me against Indian. Everyone else is driving my girl around, and she won't even call me, unless she wants money.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious to see if they even answer.
I'm seriously doubting it, at this point. I've seen other people comment on their FB page and get a "please message us with more information" reply. I 'd say that "My bike hasn't shown up and nobody has said a damn thing" is damn well detailed enough.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I'm seriously doubting it, at this point. I've seen other people comment on their FB page and get a "please message us with more information" reply. I 'd say that "My bike hasn't shown up and nobody has said a damn thing" is damn well detailed enough.
I'm feeling really bad for everyone who hasn't received theirs. This lack of communication is horrible. Why can't they be just upfront with what is going on?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm feeling really bad for everyone who hasn't received theirs. This lack of communication is horrible. Why can't they be just upfront with what is going on?
My guess is lawyers. If they don't say,anything, they can't get hauled into court for making false representations.

The other thing I suspect is that they have had some issues with either parts or a portion of the manufacturing process, or maybe both, and they are not interested in giving the competition anything else to bash them over.

My third theory is that they made a bad call in choosing their truck line for distribution. (Rumor has it that Penske got the contract). Probably was low bid; from my experience with shipbuilding and repair, one thing certain is that low bid is low for a reason, usually not good. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Maybe it's all of the above, who knows. If'n I was the VP in charge of distribution and dealer relations, I think I would be looking over my shoulder though. It's all about accountability, something that seems to in short supply right now.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
My guess is lawyers. If they don't say,anything, they can't get hauled into court for making false representations.

The other thing I suspect is that they have had some issues with either parts or a portion of the manufacturing process, or maybe both, and they are not interested in giving the competition anything else to bash them over.

My third theory is that they made a bad call in choosing their truck line for distribution. (Rumor has it that Penske got the contract). Probably was low bid; from my experience with shipbuilding and repair, one thing certain is that low bid is low for a reason, usually not good. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Maybe it's all of the above, who knows. If'n I was the VP in charge of distribution and dealer relations, I think I would be looking over my shoulder though. It's all about accountability, something that seems to in short supply right now.
Probably all true, especially the shipping part. Thanks John

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Wow.

In 1995 I put down a $5,000.00 non refundable deposit and waited 10 months for my Wide Glide to be built.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I can remember waiting 2 months for a CVO painted fuel tank, after It was damaged from a accident.

The dealer warned me up front that it would take time.. I would call, they would call the factory.. They would get back to me.

I was not happy about the wait. But when it finally came in it was perfect..

The dealer was always apologetic, for my wait.

And explained why it was taking so long.

I did feel the dealer cared about how the wait was effecting my satisfaction.

I'm sure with your Scout there is a good reason.

But it's the dealers staff's job to help you with your concerns.

That way you will trust the dealer. And feel comfortable about making the choice to do business with them.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
As far as the factory goes... If they were hit with more orders then they planned for, then they have to choose to either expand.. Which takes time for set up and learning curve of new staff.. Or just tough it out.
Also this time of year, you have a lot of people taking off for the holidays, not just OEM but suppliers too. So everything to do with the product through put, or lead time is going to be slower and longer.

It's the modern world of just in time manufacturing to save money..

Call your congressman..,complain about high taxes stifling American businesses.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mind the wait, really, and I do understand that shit happens, yada yada, and all that. I do not, however, understand why it's so damn difficult to keep people I'm the loop about what's going on.

Also, on a side note, I'm starting to feel as though the great white north gets even less info than everyone else. Maybe the snow is disrupting the emails? :p

Wow.

In 1995 I put down a $5,000.00 non refundable deposit and waited 10 months for my Wide Glide to be built.
And I'll assume you'd ridden at least one Harley with that engine, and knew that your dyna would take that long to build? Or did you walk in HD, having never ever seen one before (somehow), drop 5k, and then wonder why half of everyone else had their Dyna after six months and you were still waiting?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow.

I can go one better I placed $10,000 on my Tiglide in January 2013 it took to October to come & the same non refundable only 50 came into the country there no more coming in 2015 it may be as late as 2017 before the next ones are let into the country CLACK,CLACK

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I don't mind the wait, really, and I do understand that shit happens, yada yada, and all that. I do not, however, understand why it's so damn difficult to keep people I'm the loop about what's going on.

Also, on a side note, I'm starting to feel as though the great white north gets even less info than everyone else. Maybe the snow is disrupting the emails? :p

And I'll assume you'd ridden at least one Harley with that engine, and knew that your dyna would take that long to build? Or did you walk in HD, having never ever seen one before (somehow), drop 5k, and then wonder why half of everyone else had their Dyna after six months and you were still waiting?
Hey Listen, I raised 5 kids of my own.
If that wasn't enough, me and my wife did therapeutic foster care for the State of Texas for 25 years.
Those two items right there uniquely qualify me to answer the rhetorical question you so craftily pose to me.

Dealing with spoiled brats with the attention span of a gnat is a specialty of mine.

Folks that are accustomed to pushing buttons and making things happen NOW, right damn NOW, on their schedule.
I believe it is called instant gratification.....and don't feel singled out here....we, as a society, are ate up with it.
Can't stand to be told no and gawd forbid..."wait" is even worse.

My advice is to take a deep breath......ok, exhale......relax.
Your Indian will be here before ya know it.
It will be worth waiting for.
This IS NOT just another motorcycle, it is an Indian.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
How funny BD. I did foster care for special needs kids for 15 years. Cared for one of my own for 30 years.

I'm not making excuses for Polaris.. Just explanations.

But I find the older I get, the more I can wait for things.

His dealership, like prolly most indian dealerships are green. They could do a better job advocating on his behalf,
And make sure he knows that they are concerned that he is informed.

This is the new, "old tribe".

Every tribe member is important!

I would pound the dealer for quality customer service.

If they don't at least act like they care, they will loose business.
In AZ deposits are refundable. It's law here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wonder if certain dealers get priority delivery based on sales or something?
I was at the dealer in Colorado a few weeks ago, they 4 scouts on the showroom floor.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Big Daddy, you have a point about instant gratification and being spoiled.
However, we live in the information age. I am sure that Indian/Polaris knows exactly where each of there motorcycles are, whether they are on the assembly line or in transit. Not keeping their customers informed has been a problem since Polaris acquired Indian.
Personally and from listening to a LOT of people, I think Polaris really did not anticipate Indian taking off as fast as it did and have been playing catch up since late 2013.
They are struggling with every single aspect of this company except the quality of the bikes, which is precisely why they are struggling. They're great bikes, affordable and everyone wants one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BD, AMEN. And we should remind ourselves that anticipation is usually better than the event.
Waited for my Rocket lll ten months also. We had guys going to the shipping ports looking for them.
Waited for everything all my life. Women, cars, bikes, military, babies, BUT
I am so old now I don't know if waiting and patience is a good idea.:(;):)

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I believe most of us know that Spirit Lake had to put on another shift due to demand.

I also believe the dealers should be doing more to keep their customers updated on their bikes progress.

Could you imagine calling or emailing GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc., when your ordered car didn't show up on time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol ! :) I am at the other end of the spectrum..ordered a Indian Chief Vintage..was told that I will get it in April 2015 and it showed up in November 2014 !! 6 months in advance ! Nothing to complain here...

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Well. The fact that, at least the dealer I had ordered my scout from,,they didn't have a number to hit for first run bikes... They had a last day you could place the order.
That right there tells me that Polaris didn't care or was wiling to take the risk of the customers satisfaction of receiving his bike in a reasonable time frame from promised date. And that was less important to Polaris then loosing first run sales. Self interests rule!! :oops:

I can say that when HD couldn't meet the demand they told each dealer how many bikes they would get that year and it was first come first serve. And you were told when the bike would be delivered.

I'm sure Polaris is pounding their people and suppliers.. To deliver as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts