Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,768 Posts
Question for those of you that installed the lower fairing lights yourself:
Did you have to take it to the dealer to get a flash to make them work?

I went through the following steps and the lights didn't work:
  • installed VCM and made all connections
  • Installed lights in lowers
  • connected all wiring in the fairing
  • turned the power on - nothing
  • started the bike - nothing
  • connected all lights (headlight, passing lamps) - nothing
  • reset the power relays - nothing
  • checked for error messages in the diagnostics in RC and no errors.
  • checked for power in the connector attached to the VCM - no power, even with the bike running.
Called the dealer and they said a flash was necessary, so I am just curious if others had the same issue. It would seem that the computer needs to "recognize" the new module in order to send power there, but that's just a guess. The instructions and website says nothing about needing a flash, but we all know that doesn't mean squat.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had to get my bike flashed to make it work. Many of us had already installed the driving lights which mount on the top of the highway bars long before the lowers became available, so we had already been through the flash procedure at when we first put those on.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Question for those of you that installed the lower fairing lights yourself:
Did you have to take it to the dealer to get a flash to make them work?

Called the dealer and they said a flash was necessary, so I am just curious if others had the same issue. It would seem that the computer needs to "recognize" the new module in order to send power there, but that's just a guess. The instructions and website says nothing about needing a flash, but we all know that doesn't mean squat.
Yep... that's the standard procedure. Dealer will download the software programing for the ECU and new VCM1 to communicate. There is also a charge for doing this, and the cost can vary pending the dealership you may use. I was charged seventy five dollars to activate my Pathfinder driving lights when I frist purchased and istalled them myself with the mounting brackets.

Later on, when I installed the lower fairings and reloacated the Pathfinder driving lights to them all I needed was the two extension wires (purchased separately) for them to work.

·
Bronze member
1,768 Posts
Thanks for the responses - very helpful.

It is rather interesting that there isn't anywhere that states you have to have a flash to make it work. Oh well, has to go in for the update anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
If you are refering to the instruction or sales hype for the new lower fairings you are correct however, if you had only purchased the Pathfinder LED lights separately, it is mention in the instruction manual for them on page 11 of 13 .

Font Parallel Circle Diagram Drawing

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger Limited
76 Posts
So yesterday I found the Indian Lower Faring Driving Light kit on the Indain website but but I already have everything due to my original release set-up of the driving lights except for one part (#1) that can be purchased separately P/N 2415997 Harness - Driving Lights, Lower Faring.

View attachment 675124
Glad YOU were told you could get the lower fairing light harnesses (#2415997) separately because Indian Customer Service told me that couldn't be done! No worries, just ordered the entire kit and will resell my never-installed brackets, the controller, the switch, the light buckets and the other stuff to someone who wants to install the frame-mounted set-up. I love the lowers - here's a pic mine installed minus the lights at this point.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: BIGMAC116 and HERK

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Glad YOU were told you could get the lower fairing light harnesses (#2415997) separately because Indian Customer Service told me that couldn't be done! No worries, just ordered the entire kit and will resell my never-installed brackets, the controller, the switch, the light buckets and the other stuff to someone who wants to install the frame-mounted set-up. I love the lowers - here's a pic mine installed minus the lights at this point.
Gregg, I wasn't just told that I could order the harness driving lights extension wires, I actually did orderd and received them from Indian Freedom PowerSports dealership here in Denton Texas. So Indian Customer Service is/was wrong in this case.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,813 Posts
They list the part #'s in the installation guide, you can usually use those to order directly.

Reactions: HERK

·
Registered
429 Posts
Few questions:

Do the lights provide better lighting down low or up higher?
How well do the speakers sound? Do they really make a difference? I’ve already replaced the fairing mounted ones.
Do you think the hard lowers will work good in hot weather with the vents opened. I’ve never gotten hot on mine.
Will the activation of the lights alter a Lloyds or Dynojet tuned ECM?

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Few questions:

Do the lights provide better lighting down low or up higher?
How well do the speakers sound? Do they really make a difference? I’ve already replaced the fairing mounted ones.
Do you think the hard lowers will work good in hot weather with the vents opened. I’ve never gotten hot on mine.
Will the activation of the lights alter a Lloyds or Dynojet tuned ECM?

Thanks.
Lighting helps a lot, speakers are very good. I was impressed. Full face helmet, cruising at 80 and volume on 3 I was jammin out

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, the lower fairing speakers (5.25" x 100-Watts) do make a difference in the total audio sound when riding. Of course they make one hell of a boom box when it's parked too. I didn't get to ride it very long after the install but it was a warm 75 degree day here in Texas and I was listening to two of my favorite songs on the new Doom Crew music album from Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde) - Set You Free & Farewell Ballad and it was great to be able to hear everything playing, sound volume was set at level 4. The three (3)-sets of 100-Watt Powerband speakers are awesome.

One thing I did noticed is that I had left the vents in the lower fairings closed when I went for my ride after the install. Even with the outside temperature of only 75-degrees, it didn't take long forr my feet to start feel the heat coming off the lower engine case and/or radiator area. The heat wasn't as noticable when I used the soft leather lower blackouts.

View attachment 676934
I really like that piece by BLS. Not my favorite but dam good. Love “Gospel of Lies” and “Gather all my sins.”😎

·
Registered
398 Posts
The lighting is great down low. I feel very safe riding at night with the new lights. The visibility is the best I've ever had on a motorcycle.

I will say that the engine heat is definitely more concentrated on my feet and that my feet do get warmer. However, I've already had mine out in 90 degree weather and wouldn't exactly say I got hot.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts