Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to admit, from almost day one after purchasing my Challenger in November of 2019, I have though of installing some lower fairings on it but there wasn't a perfect fit or color match option early on for the Thunder Black Pearl paint. Now, after seeing the new Indian lower fairings on several other Challengers I am taking the plung for them. I have already ordered the lower fairing audio equipment necessary to install in them and can only wait until the lower fairings to match my paint (666) code are back in stock

I already have the Indian Pathfinder lights on the bike so they wil be relocated into the bottom of the new farings as well.

Here's a photograph of a blue Challenger (not mine) with the new lower fairings & Pathfinder driving lights on.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
i got a set a couple of weeks ago. My challenger is currently getting painted so that's where they went. I did like the looks of them when I ordered the set. When they came in, I was a little disappointed about the lines near the bottom where the lights go. Thought about re-shaping the area, but decided to install the lights. Got the connection kit last week and my lights came in yesterday. I'll be working on re-assembly this coming weekend since the painter is wrapping up the final clear buff and polish.

You may want to check in to the wiring kit. You already have most of it, but it requires some different wires from the light mount to the top as well as different screws to put it all back together. you may get some of the mounting screws with the Audio kit, but it might be worth your time checking in to it. Would suck for you to have to spend the $160, or whatever it is, to get some screws and a couple of wiring harnesses.

Reactions: HERK

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have to admit, from almost day one after purchasing my Challenger in November of 2019, I have though of installing some lower fairings on it but there was a perfect fit or color match option early on for the Thunder Black Pearl paint. Now, after seeing the new Indian lower fairings on several other Challengers I am taking the plung for them. I have already ordered the lower fairing audio equipment necessary to install in them and can only wait until the lower fairings to match my paint (666) code are back in stock

I already have the Indian Pathfinder lights on the bike so they wil be relocated into the bottom of the new farings as well.

Here's a photograph of a blue Challenger with the new lower fairings & Pathfinder driving lights on.

View attachment 674563
Are there no engine guards? Or are they just covered up by the lower fairing? Looks like a tip over in the garage might break some stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The engine guards are not included in the Lower Faring Kit,

However, the outer lower fairing housing connects to a inner liner housing, when connected together they will both connect to the front engine guards with bands clamps. They would still basically have minimal protection from a tipover situation in just the same way as the saddle baggs are from the aid provided by the rear guard bars.

I have a limited model, so it came fully equiped with the engine and saddle bag guards.

Below is a PDF file of the Indian lower fairing installation instructions, this is only for the the above mentioned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joegopher, I noticed this as well. The contour of the Lower Fairings along the bottom looks like it could possibly drag during a sharp/steep lean. The guys who bought the lower fairings that had the Pathfinder lights already warn me about the wires being too short but knowone has provided an answer for a factory fix for it yet eventhough they have posted photos of their bikes with the Pathfinder driving lights on and working. Currently, Indianmotorcycle.com doesn't seem to list the new wires required for the driving lights when installed in the lower fairings on their website.

When they came in, I was a little disappointed about the lines near the bottom where the lights go. Thought about re-shaping the area, but decided to install the lights. Got the connection kit last week and my lights came in yesterday. I'll be working on re-assembly this coming weekend since the painter is wrapping up the final clear buff and polish.

You may want to check in to the wiring kit. You already have most of it, but it requires some different wires from the light mount to the top as well as different screws to put it all back together. you may get some of the mounting screws with the Audio kit, but it might be worth your time checking in to it. Would suck for you to have to spend the $160, or whatever it is, to get some screws and a couple of wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,813 Posts
I wonder if it's like the existing pathfinder lights location. If you don't route the wire exactly like they want, it comes out too short. I really want to get the hard lower but I also really like where the driving lights are today. I guess I'll have to see what like wins out.

·
Bronze member
3,324 Posts
If you like or want lowers, the ones for the Challenger look fine. If I were mounting lowers and didn’t plan on ever removing them (like for hot weather), I’d opt for the built-in running lights as well.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I wonder if it's like the existing pathfinder lights location. If you don't route the wire exactly like they want, it comes out too short. I really want to get the hard lower but I also really like where the driving lights are today. I guess I'll have to see what like wins out.

I'm with you on this... At first I was like, no I don't want to lose the position of the driving lights were they are now. At the level of height that the Pathfinder lights are originally mounted they provide ample lighting of the roadway and road areas immediately to each side of the bike but then I thought, maybe with the lights down low it will direct even more light onto the roadway right out in front but with possibly less light to of the sides. And as for routing the wires I'm with you on this point as well. The instructions for the Pathfinder lights (w/Brackets) were clear about were and how to route the wires correctly. I maybe able to re-route the wire so they can reach down to the bottom of the lower fairings.

If you like or want lowers, the ones for the Challenger look fine. If I were mounting lowers and didn’t plan on ever removing them (like for hot weather), I’d opt for the built-in running lights as well.
IMO, nothing is really perminent when it comes to my bike but I do understand your point, which is a very good one at that and that's why I have opted to install the new lower fairing speckers. I have already ordered them, the speaker bezels and audio installation kit and they all shipped out yesterday from Indian. I already have all of the 100watt speaker upgrades in the fairing and of course in the saddle baggs as well so I'm mostly set-up for plug and play.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So yesterday I found the Indian Lower Faring Driving Light kit on the Indain website but but I already have everything due to my original release set-up of the driving lights except for one part (#1) that can be purchased separately P/N 2415997 Harness - Driving Lights, Lower Faring.

Font Gesture Parallel Drawing Handwriting

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
Herk - those were the exact parts I was thinking you would need for the install. Glad you can get them separately and don't have to buy the kit.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today is my lucky day! :cool:

So... I went to the Indain/Freedom Powersports delership in Denton, Texas and spoke to the salesman (Carl) about the lower fairings for my 2020 Thunder Black Pearl (paint code 666) Challenger and he informed me that there was a set ready and painted in Oklahoma inwhich I just ordered and paid for. Also, I was able to find and order only the wire extentions needed (P/N 2415997 a cost of $37.88) for connecting the original driving light harness into the lower fairings once I relocate the Pathfinder lights to them.

The best part is when I got home form the dealership this morning and found my new lower fairing audio speakers and the related speaker grillls w/chrome bezells was already delivered, with the fairing speaker installation kit on its way with a scheduled delivery date of today as well.

By early to mid next week I will have everything necessary to install the new painted lower fairings, audio speakers and driving lights onto the 20 Challenger.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Today is my lucky day! :cool:

So... I went to the Indain/Freedom Powersports delership in Denton, Texas and spoke to the salesman (Carl) about the lower fairings for my 2020 Thunder Black Pearl (paint code 666) Challenger and he informed me that there was a set ready and painted in Oklahoma inwhich I just ordered and paid for. Also, I was able to find and order only the wire extentions needed (P/N 2415997 a cost of $37.88) for connecting the original driving light harness into the lower fairings once I relocate the Pathfinder lights to them.

The best part is when I got home form the dealership this morning and found my new lower fairing audio speakers and the related speaker grillls w/chrome bezells was already delivered, with the fairing speaker installation kit on its way with a scheduled delivery date of today as well.

By early to mid next week I will have everything necessary to install the new painted lower fairings, audio speakers and driving lights onto the 20 Challenger.
I guess that was you I talked to up there! I just got my fairings and fog lights on after paying for the entire install kit, because I was too impatient to let them sit any longer.

Blue is better ;) See you on the road!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
They look ok as far as hard lowers go But between the radiator, battery box and the close outs (soft lowers) together all do a real good job of keeping cold air and water off of me. Isn’t that the primary reason for them? I’ve had hard lowers on Harleys, a Victory Vision, Gold Wing and a Road Master and this Challenger is every bit as comfortable. + painted lowers naturally get hammered by rock and debris. IMO the close outs look cleaner, especially on the Dark Horse.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts