Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear indian owners

I just did my first 500 miles services and the dealer used Motul oil and they. did tje re-call of ECU upgrade .. When i recieved the bike it was like a different bike.. I am not enjoying driving it anymore the engine sound is different and gear shifting not the same.. Before the engine sounded like you are driving 8 cyc GM car and now sound like 4 cyc toyota corola!!??

Any explanation, recommendations, similar experience???

My rm is still stock no stages or cams

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dear indian owners

I just did my first 500 miles services and the dealer used Motul oil and they. did tje re-call of ECU upgrade .. When i recieved the bike it was like a different bike.. I am not enjoying driving it anymore the engine sound is different and gear shifting not the same.. Before the engine sounded like you are driving 8 cyc GM car and now sound like 4 cyc toyota corola!!??

Get a pvcx from fuel moto and a corresponding tune for your bike - the best $350 accessory you could ever buy / including chrome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
Agree with @The Painter, take it back to the dealer. I had the flash done in July with no issues.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Dear indian owners

I would go back and have them look at it.. the flash only made a small tweak and should not have done what you are saying...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dear indian owners

My RM is still stock no stages or cams
My 2016 RM had all kinds of BT problems, and other weird electronic things going on. Took it to another dealer, they were traced down , to the ECU problems. Per Indian they wiped the ECU of any/all flashs' then re-installed the flash,and that seems to have corrected all of the electrical-BT problems, Since then its been a pleasure to drive. Now if they can fix the same old complains about the motor clatter, hard to get into neutral, heat ...heat ...heat.. I've now Changed oil over to synthectic Amsoil that's helped with the neutral, and some of the clattering. next I'll install a Ejk or Power commander. to help with the heat. last resort will be to punch out the cat.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Please explain more and where and how?
Its a device that plugs into diagnostic port of ECU and allows you to flash a new tune for combination of after mkt , Indian or stock components on bike . Dynojet and FM send you dynotested tunes to support your combination. Check out FM thread on 111" dyno & product testing by Fuel Moto. They change throttle by wire VE tables Timing and Target AFR tables and rev limiter to transform the bike completely. Don't bother with dobeck or pcv- old technology when you can flash a new tune and clear diagnostic codes with PVCX. Also with free tuning software for PVCX (C3 suite) from dynojet site you can see detailed differences in tunes and educate yourself and even edit tunes experimentally if you so wish. Even RT logging is possible. Plug and play takes 7 min to flash on LHS panel of bike and unit does not stay on bike after flash completed

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
Dear indian owners

Although the suggestions here to get a PVCX are the best way to go, I highly suggest you call Polaris and ask for help with your concerns. Don't tell them what to do just ask for help and give them the details you are seeing. Hopefully you'll get a case number and your dealer is then going to be notified for follow-up. It's a hassle I know and the short-cut is to get a PVCX but you'll be helping others because Polaris is convinced they are reflashing these things correctly and have given the dealers the correct procedures to do it. I think their whole process is flawed. My bike was a jewel before they did the 500 mile service as well. I'm convinced that's where they did the first air/fuel changed that started my bike going downhill. So you probably got a double hit with flashes that have it completely screwed up. And they need to correct it before going to the PVCX in my estimation. But do order your PVCX for the ultimate fix that gets the bike back under your control and out from under their EPA manipulation.

Reactions: joescian

·
Registered
319 Posts
Although the suggestions here to get a PVCX are the best way to go, I highly suggest you call Polaris and ask for help with your concerns. Don't tell them what to do just ask for help and give them the details you are seeing. Hopefully you'll get a case number and your dealer is then going to be notified for follow-up. It's a hassle I know and the short-cut is to get a PVCX but you'll be helping others because Polaris is convinced they are reflashing these things correctly and have given the dealers the correct procedures to do it. I think their whole process is flawed. My bike was a jewel before they did the 500 mile service as well. I'm convinced that's where they did the first air/fuel changed that started my bike going downhill. So you probably got a double hit with flashes that have it completely screwed up. And they need to correct it before going to the PVCX in my estimation. But do order your PVCX for the ultimate fix that gets the bike back under your control and out from under their EPA manipulation.
Yep ....I agree
My bike was definitely not the bike I purchased after the flash. It went to mush. I think that Indian needs to revisit their tuning in the reflash. Perhaps the original was not EPA compliant enough or maybe they just screwed it up.
PVCX cured my woes plus it's better than ever was before my Saftey/Recall/Reflash was done at 500 mile service.
I'm now considering going to an intake and knocking the plugs out a my exaust and requesting a new map from Fuel Moto for it.
My bike is all stock right now and it runs badass in my opinion with my Improved Stock file. Pulls like a damn freight train.
But I think I want it to be even more badass.
Kind of addicting.....lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you do not guys know how much relieved i am by now, even though i hate it when people gets in troubles with their loved bikes but when i raised this issue to the the dealer, they almost made me think it is in my imagination only and trying to convince me that i am might be crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a device that plugs into diagnostic port of ECU and allows you to flash a new tune for combination of after mkt , Indian or stock components on bike . Dynojet and FM send you dynotested tunes to support your combination. Check out FM thread on 111" dyno & product testing by Fuel Moto. They change throttle by wire VE tables Timing and Target AFR tables and rev limiter to transform the bike completely. Don't bother with dobeck or pcv- old technology when you can flash a new tune and clear diagnostic codes with PVCX. Also with free tuning software for PVCX (C3 suite) from dynojet site you can see detailed differences in tunes and educate yourself and even edit tunes experimentally if you so wish. Even RT logging is possible. Plug and play takes 7 min to flash on LHS panel of bike and unit does not stay on bike after flash completed

thanks a lot for this information, but honestly you are talking the different language to me, i have 0 experience in such work. if someone could help me and others like me step by step from purchase online to programming.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I seems obvious to me after reading all the different results about this ECU reflash on this forum that not all dealers are doing it right, or are doing extra things, wrong things, etc.
Mine went just about flawlessly, save that I got a bit more gurgling out of the pipes when going into decell when the motor is still cold. Other than that, if anything, my mileage went up a bit, the bike runs better and a bit smoother.

So obviously not all dealer reflash procedures are the same, which would really trouble me if I was sitting in the home office in charge of these kinds of things.

And why would a dealer use Motul oil instead of original Indian oil? I can see a private consumer or independent shop using another brand, but not an authorized Indian dealer. That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I seems obvious to me after reading all the different results about this ECU reflash on this forum that not all dealers are doing it right, or are doing extra things, wrong things, etc.
Mine went just about flawlessly, save that I got a bit more gurgling out of the pipes when going into decell when the motor is still cold. Other than that, if anything, my mileage went up a bit, the bike runs better and a bit smoother.

So obviously not all dealer reflash procedures are the same, which would really trouble me if I was sitting in the home office in charge of these kinds of things.

And why would a dealer use Motul oil instead of original Indian oil? I can see a private consumer or independent shop using another brand, but not an authorized Indian dealer. That makes no sense to me.
you are absolutely correct and all your points are valid, i should point out that my dealer is not in USA, I am located in middle east and believe it or not, i am the first to buy a roadmaster ever from the dealer at this point. therefore, even though they have done it as they say without complaint from other indians owners. it is the first to be performed on RM, i am not sure if it differs between models, but i know they all carry same engine 111 thunder stroke there for should be all same procedures.

i am not sure why they use Motul oil, maybe because it is commercially available and easy to obtain that shipping it from US original indian oil, they wont do that without prior approval from Poaris

·
Banned
241 Posts
About the 'ECU Reflashing Recall'
The recall was promulgated by and for the EPA. The resulting 'compliance' would have your bikes running HOTTER and with a LEANER air-fuel mix ration; leaner, as in NOT GOOD for the engine's performance. EPA. An uncle best left locked up in the attic.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Dear indian owners

First off, are you halfway serious here with a franchised Indian dealer using Motul? Thats going below the proverbial 'belt' with outside purchases of oil/lubricants behind the corporate watch. That is a no - no UNLESS YOU asked for Motul. That stuff is garbage in my opinion. Its cheaper and who knows where they get their bulk oil from or add whatever?

Secondly, do NOT get the recall. There are many horror stories out there. Just do as what someone just suggested and get a fuel controller. A Dobeck EJK is fine and the others are also very good too. This way you can skip over the EPA fuel guidelines. Your warranty will still be covered without the recall. Unless the recall notice came via registered mail then forget it. I for one am not doing it. My bike runs like a Swiss watch with a Dobeck and air cleaner and exhaust modifications. Just not messing with it.

But seriously, Motul might be good for air cooled Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines and a few other applications but do not put this into your 20K plus Indian motorcycle. And let corporate know what the dealer is using trying to avoid mandated lubrication purchases. Unless you decided that going cheaper with Motul was the answer.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
you are absolutely correct and all your points are valid, i should point out that my dealer is not in USA, I am located in middle east and believe it or not, i am the first to buy a roadmaster ever from the dealer at this point. therefore, even though they have done it as they say without complaint from other indians owners. it is the first to be performed on RM, i am not sure if it differs between models, but i know they all carry same engine 111 thunder stroke there for should be all same procedures.

i am not sure why they use Motul oil, maybe because it is commercially available and easy to obtain that shipping it from US original indian oil, they wont do that without prior approval from Poaris
Oh really? I worked Harley Davidson Regional service in the Far East and caugfht the Japanese and Korean dealers adding fuel oil and other crap to stretch out HD oil. Or getting Union 76 bulk oil and putting HD stickers on the barrels. Motul needs to be shipped also and regardless, this dealer is skirting guidelines. Imagine this bunch doing a cam job? Or fixing a valve spring? Can you even imagine that?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.
What would concern me is I would think the emission requirements of your country may not be the same as the USA. With that in mind, it could be entirely possible that they sent the wrong ECU reflash to your dealer for your bike.
As far as the Motul Oil, I agree, it might be a better option where you live than having to ship the Indian oil all the way from the US. On the other hand, as others have said, it might be like putting cheap bourbon into the expensive bottle and selling it to the unknowing public.
I would ask your dealer if you could reverse the reflash? And to be honest, no more Motul.....
I personally would consider an aftermarket reflash unit a last resort, reserved for the people who are upgraded and smart on these types of things.
I am one of those who are not, so I can appreciate your hesitation on an aftermarket computer unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did my investigation with the local dealer and raised the issue of Motul, they said they have the green light to use alternative oil since they have not sent yet the indian oil from US. the local dealer working on the paper of importing the indian oil from US and they require local concerned ministries to import them, in mean time they are using local available oil such as MOTUL

the dealer said, we can use AMSOIL which is an American product. what do you think, is it better than MOTUL oil at this time until they get the indian original oil???!!!!!!

on the other point. the dealer received only three location updates on the ECU reflash, American , Brasil, International. they only can choose international and this is what they did. Many others like me are complaining. is there any direct contact/email to raise complaint to Polaris ??

please advise

·
Registered
672 Posts
thanks a lot for this information, but honestly you are talking the different language to me, i have 0 experience in such work. if someone could help me and others like me step by step from purchase online to programming.
to purchase PVCX go to Dynojet - Power Vision CX

Read the included doco and give FM a call if your unsure of anything.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts