Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
If they have the right tools (sync gauges) they should be able too but if you are unhappy contact Indian directly. They were covering the transportation cost to and from Holeshot. Keep the pressure. Good luck.
Thank you, that's good information and all more the reason why I want to get Lone Star Indian and Mike Pacella together on this. I've already sent Mike a Conversation message here and I also called Holeshot Powersports this morning but Mike wasn't in today however, they told me to just call back tomorrow morning and ask for him if he doesn't contact me before then.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My bike was purchased August 8,2020 and I have experienced it killing 4 times in 4000 miles. It has always killed while stopped at a red light after being warmed up. One time I didn't notice it because my brothers Harley was next to me and it is so loud that I could not tell my Challenger stopped running. So the light turns green, my brother takes off and I am sitting there twisting the throttle and nothing. One more time I thought it was going to kill. Stopped at a light and it started revving up and down erratically, it did this several times. I thought it was going to kill. Gave it a little gas and it smoothed out. I mentioned this to my dealer and will have him check it out at the 5000 mile oil change. I will ask that they check the throttle bodies, O2 sensor, and re-flash of the ECU.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
My bike was purchased August 8,2020 and I have experienced it killing 4 times in 4000 miles. It has always killed while stopped at a red light after being warmed up. One time I didn't notice it because my brothers Harley was next to me and it is so loud that I could not tell my Challenger stopped running. So the light turns green, my brother takes off and I am sitting there twisting the throttle and nothing. One more time I thought it was going to kill. Stopped at a light and it started revving up and down erratically, it did this several times. I thought it was going to kill. Gave it a little gas and it smoothed out. I mentioned this to my dealer and will have him check it out at the 5000 mile oil change. I will ask that they check the throttle bodies, O2 sensor, and re-flash of the ECU.
You Sir, need a new TB. Welcome to the club. :)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
So I learned something new today, I was told by our friend Mike Pacella that the most recent recall for the Challenger handle bar wiring harness has been causing the same symptoms that some are experiencing when the bike/engine is shutting down. I'm hopeful this may be the reason why my Challenger is shutting down as well. I'll be taking my bike back into the dealership on Tuesday of next week for it's scheduled appointment.

When I get home today, I'll have to check the diagonostics and find the code associated to the engine light notification and send it to both Mike and the Indian dealership here in Texas. This may give us the infromation needed to identify where the problem is... or where to look next.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good luck to everyone having problems and thanks for sharing the problems and solutions so other can solve their problems.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Update - 03.30.2021: So far my Indian dealership has re-checked the TB sync a second time over, everything checked out good. They also performed the service bulletin for inspection of the hand control wire harness, everything was good here as well. After test riding my Challenger seventy five miles it finally died (shut-off) again on the mechanic. The mechanic said he thought it seemed to be the fuel pump becuase the engine acted like it wasn't getting enough gas (like when you run out of gas) when it died but the tank was almost full with gas. They pulled the fuel pump and pressure tested it on Saturday. The pump was not holding pressure so today they diemed it as bad and ordered a new one. I think they have finally found my particular problem with the bike dieing issue. Although, they said that they had to replace fuel pumps on a couple of other Challenger owners bikes not too long ago, so I think they were leaning this way after I brought the bike back the second time for the same issue.

Hopefully, I can get the bike back by the end of the week.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine died a few times in this same manner, and since I'm running stock pipes, I noticed the engine had stopped through feel, not sound. Definitely not a good experience. Mine was really bad about the uneven idle. If I didn't pull the clutch soon enough before stopping, it would sit there and idle like that until I took back off. The Lloydz tune has fixed the uneven idle.

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
Mine died a few times in this same manner, and since I'm running stock pipes, I noticed the engine had stopped through feel, not sound. Definitely not a good experience. Mine was really bad about the uneven idle. If I didn't pull the clutch soon enough before stopping, it would sit there and idle like that until I took back off. The Lloydz tune has fixed the uneven idle.

Did you ever get this fixed before you flashed the bike?

If not it most likely will re-appear and then then you will have to get the bike re-flashed at the dealer and then re-send your ECU back to lloydz to get the ECU re-flashed again. There has already been a couple of Challenger owners on the Facebook groups who got their bikes flashed at Daytona that had stalling issues and limp mode issue on the way home, because their bikes had bad throttle body sync issues.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
If not it most likely will re-appear and then then you will have to get the bike re-flashed at the dealer and then re-send your ECU back to lloydz to get the ECU re-flashed again. There has already been a couple of Challenger owners on the Facebook groups who got their bikes flashed at Daytona that had stalling issues and limp mode issue on the way home, because their bikes had bad throttle body sync issues.
That's a shame too, I read that Lloydz said they would work with the bike owner should they need the ECU tune redone. This could get a bit expensive if you have a bike that has any of these new model (2020 & 2021) issues. The whole reason why I'm waiting on doing any type of tuning or cams is until I can make sure the bike is going to be basically trouble free. Indian needs to step it up and get these bike right. For me, I'm really getting tired of my bike spending more time sitting in the dealership shop than in my own garage and being able to just go for a ride.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm not sure I will get the Lloydz tune. Maybe? It is kind of frivolous spending for me when I am happy with the performance as it is. After my 500 mile break in I returned the unopened stage 1 air filter and told them I'm good. But I want this killing issue fixed before I do any type of tuning that might have to be redone. Also I would really like to know what they are saying when they say they will work with you if you need a re-flash? A re-flash should be dirt cheap or free! Other wise you should just wait for an aftermarket turner like the Power Commander or what ever they are where you only pay once and you can re-tune whenever needed. It is a pain in the ass to take a part out, send it in, and wait for it to come back before you can ride again. That alone is an issue for me. Don't get me wrong, I am glade you are pleased with the Lloydz tune. I may end up getting the tune as well. But under the circumstances not sure it is right for me at this time.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Here's the pitch.... it's a swing and a miss... STRIKE TWO!

Update - 04.07.2021:

Back in February, per my first appointment the dealership said my throttle bodies where out of sync, and I also had a bad 02 sensor, this took about three weeks to find and fix and get the bike back after performing the ECU Reflash & TB Inspection (bulletin 1-20-01-A) and did not perform the replacment of the throttle bodies. The very next day after getting the bike back, the engine died on me agian. Strike One!

Per my second appointment, I took the bike back to the dealership again in March, the dealership re-checked the throttle body sync, checked ther 02 sensor and performed the latest bulletin - Hands Control Wiring Harness Inspection (bulletin I-21-01-A), said no issue(s) were found so they did not perform the replacement of the wiring harness (bulletin I-21-01-B) in the handlebars. They then test rode the bike up to seventy five miles when the engine died again. Said it seemed like it was running out of gas so they pulled the fuel pump and pressure tested it. I was informed that the fuel pump was not holding pressure so they placed an order for a new fuel pump to replace it. Once replacing the fuel pump, they test rode the bike up to approximately another fifty miles when the engine shut-off on the mechanic again at a stop light. Strike Two!

The dealership sent me a text today stating that the mechanic is going to contact Polaris and the gentleman in Florida (Mike Pacella) at Holeshot Powersports. Funny thing, this is what I had asked the dealership to do amost two weeks ago whren I took the bike back in and even provided all of the contact information in writting.

So now, and at this particular moment..... I really don't know just how long this new research, Q&A and/or possible next repair step and attemp to get it right is going to take. My best hope is the dealership contacts Mike (& Polaris) and they can discuss what has been done, tested and/or where to start next. My immediate fear is they are going to want to start replacing components, possibly the throttle bodies, the hand control wiring harness or even possibly other items in which will have to be put on order and waited upon for delivery before any other repair work can continue.... the discouraging factor is nobody seems to know what actually is causing the shut-off issue at this point of time and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to want to keep this specific bike if the problem continues.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
Sorry to hear that Herk! I hope Mike can help!

Reactions: HERK

·
Bronze member
1,516 Posts
Are/have you guys checked battery cable connection? How about "crap/shit/particles" floating around in the base of your gas tank?!?! There are a myriad number of reasons why a fuel injected engine can simply shut down.......which over the past 18 months a LOT of us with symptoms have chimed in....but just thought that I would circle back with the obvious/less than obvious!!!! Good luck. I feel for you guys who have prolonged, unsolved problems. I would be as pissed as any of you. I think PI's QA/QC manager needs to be terminated...............

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
When I bought this motorcycle back in Nov/Dec of 2019, I had then realized and sincerely hoped that this bike could/would be a long time relationship for me. Meaning, that it was a nice big bagger, it has lots of power, a liquid cooled v-twin engine, and seemed to be the perfect machine for the long over the road trips in which was the very main reason for me wanting to buy the Challenger in the first place. I'm currently sixty two years old, in good shape and had planned to start make long trips accross country to visit family, friends and/or for vacation and adventure. Since I had purchased the 2020 Challenger Limited (almost 17 months ago) I have already paid out a total of $26,710.76 for it towards the outstanding balance price. This doesn't include remaining balance of the intial full price plus, all of the extra items I had bought at the time of the sale like the extended warranty, six oil & filter changes and the tire road hazard/protection. The remaining balance owed on the current bank note is currently paid up six months in advance as well. Not forgetting to mention all of the (long list) modification items and extra or spare replacement parts, and maintenance items I have purchased in advance for the bike on top of that, currently sitting in my tool boxes and garage.

Who is going to want to buy/purchase any motorcycle (even if it has less than 3K on the odometer) at such a high cost that won't even get itself out of the state or well enough in my case the local township, without having some kind of function/operational issue. The engine dieing issue started back in August of 2020 for me, so for the past amost eight months I have been trying to get it resolved one way or another. I just don't want it to continue another week well enough for another two, four, six or eight months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That really sucks man. If Mike can't get you squared away I would seriously push Polaris to step up and replace/buy back the bike.

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
Here's the pitch.... it's a swing and a miss... STRIKE TWO!

Update - 04.07.2021:

Back in February, per my first appointment the dealership said my throttle bodies where out of sync, and I also had a bad 02 sensor, this took about three weeks to find and fix and get the bike back after performing the ECU Reflash & TB Inspection (bulletin 1-20-01-A) and did not perform the replacment of the throttle bodies. The very next day after getting the bike back, the engine died on me agian. Strike One!

Per my second appointment, I took the bike back to the dealership again in March, the dealership re-checked the throttle body sync, checked ther 02 sensor and performed the latest bulletin - Hands Control Wiring Harness Inspection (bulletin I-21-01-A), said no issue(s) were found so they did not perform the replacement of the wiring harness (bulletin I-21-01-B) in the handlebars. They then test rode the bike up to seventy five miles when the engine died again. Said it seemed like it was running out of gas so they pulled the fuel pump and pressure tested it. I was informed that the fuel pump was not holding pressure so they placed an order for a new fuel pump to replace it. Once replacing the fuel pump, they test rode the bike up to approximately another fifty miles when the engine shut-off on the mechanic again at a stop light. Strike Two!

The dealership sent me a text today stating that the mechanic is going to contact Polaris and the gentleman in Florida (Mike Pacella) at Holeshot Powersports. Funny thing, this is what I had asked the dealership to do amost two weeks ago whren I took the bike back in and even provided all of the contact information in writting.

So now, and at this particular moment..... I really don't know just how long this new research, Q&A and/or possible next repair step and attemp to get it right is going to take. My best hope is the dealership contacts Mike (& Polaris) and they can discuss what has been done, tested and/or where to start next. My immediate fear is they are going to want to start replacing components, possibly the throttle bodies, the hand control wiring harness or even possibly other items in which will have to be put on order and waited upon for delivery before any other repair work can continue.... the discouraging factor is nobody seems to know what actually is causing the shut-off issue at this point of time and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to want to keep this specific bike if the problem continues.

Mike Pacella actually was the one who basically figured out the Challenger issues when Polaris couldn't. Racing Ray had all kinds of issues with his bike, and all the recalls and sync had been complied with from the purchasing dealer. He then took it up to mikes, and bam he fixed it.

The first run early models of Challengers must have had a bunch of people asleep at the wheel since they seem the most plagued. On one of the first big magazine reviews of the Challenger, the bike Polaris gave them for the review crapped out with codes and electrical issues half way through. The reviewer said Polaris said it was a "non production beta bike...LOL" And gave them another to finish the review.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think Indian needs to do work the bugs out on this bike. These mechanical issues are well known without even mentioning the absolute fail of the Ride Command 2.0 / GPS.

I think their philosophy was to beat HD and become King of the Baggers. They might need to put a legal disclaimer that it is a superior bike if everything works.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Mike Pacella actually was the one who basically figured out the Challenger issues when Polaris couldn't. Racing Ray had all kinds of issues with his bike, and all the recalls and sync had been complied with from the purchasing dealer. He then took it up to mikes, and bam he fixed it.

The first run early models of Challengers must have had a bunch of people asleep at the wheel since they seem the most plagued. On one of the first big magazine reviews of the Challenger, the bike Polaris gave them for the review crapped out with codes and electrical issues half way through. The reviewer said Polaris said it was a "non production beta bike...LOL" And gave them another to finish the review.
The really sad part of this all is... I had already spoken to the dealership and explained to them that this issue may not be easy for them to find, identify and/or even resolve in a timely and cost saving manner and had sincerely asked for them to please reach out to both Polaris and Mike Pacella with Holeshot Powersports. I not only had ask them, I drove to the dealership and gave them in person the information, address, phone numbers and name in writting and politely expressed more than once that they (the dealership) should reach out to Mike for assistance. Of course when I started explaining how this issue was most common with the early 2020 Challenger models (as mine is) and that Mike Pacella was the person that has helped and repaired more of these than anyone else, and that basically everyone on this web site also knew of his work and accomplishments in helping owners alike, reiterating that his input would be more then invaluable to them in order to possibly assist, help find and correct the problem, they just looked at me with that blank stare.... like a deer does while standing in the bright lighted path of car headlights. :oops:

BTW, I initiated and have been involved in private conversations with Mike Pacella for the past couple of months regarding precisely this and my Challenger.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts