Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Funny you mention this. I started this thread because my bike has shut off a few times, etc.... But the day I bought my bike, I got on it for the first time ever to ride it home from the dealer. The check engine light came on the first time I fired it up in the dealership parking lot. I rode it home and it stayed lit the whole time. Annoyed that my brand new bike tossed a CEL the first time I rode it, I drove it back to the dealership the next day (the CEL remained on). Turns out it was a bad O2 sensor. So I had to leave my brand new bike there for a few days while they got a new one installed.

Yes Sir, I too would of been very unhappy but also relieved that it was a simple issue to fix and of course covered by warranty too I hope. However, none the less, it is very disappointing that quality control of parts, operation functions and electronics including specific but basic engine specs, checks/tollerances don't seem to be inspected or followed routinely by the manufacturer and/or dealerships. I know there are plenty of other Challenger riders out there that swear by their Challenger and haven't had a dime of trouble, but again there seem to no shortage of owners who hare having a wide verity of different issues... I guess it goes with the old saying... "Watchout for any first year models"

·
Bronze member
1,791 Posts
if you change pipes and relocate O2 sensors, anti-seize or other products can harm O2 sensors if not used correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
if you change pipes and relocate O2 sensors, anti-seize or other products can harm O2 sensors if not used correctly.

Yes Sir, you (understand) get it about these sensors used in our motorcycles (and cars/trucks) that are a bit well....... sensitive, and can be actually damaged very easily.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
All right folks, short update: I had taken my Challenger into the dealership to find out why the bike would simply just shut off when coming to a stop or during very low speed deceleration situations. This wouldn't happen every time and seemed to happen repeately at the rate of approximately or after riding the bike a distance of about 35 to 45 miles. The synopsis by the Indian dealership was that the throttle bodies where out-of-sync but didn't need replaced and that the bike also had a bad/defective 02 sensor. So..... I get the bike back and ride it about 50 miles and it just shuts off again. I continued to ride the bike on short rides over a period of a few days afterwords and again, after riding only about 50-miles the bike shut off. Although, the last time the situation was different about how it shut off, I was actually accelerating when the engine just died (shut off) out and not decelerating. I'm going to contact the Indian dealership today (03.17.2021) regarding this new information and I'm also going to see if I can get the dealership mechanic and Holeshot Mike to possibly collaborate on this issue. Enough is enough, and I want positive results, my patiences are getting thin over this matter. Not to mention the safety factor or liability it presents to ne when trying to operate a bike of this size on roads, highways and/or interstate riding around the Dallas/Ft Worth Metro plex. I'm also not happy that I can't even think about planning or taking a vacation trip until the fix is in......

·
167 Posts
Mine use to do the low rpm shut off, while down shifting but quit doing it on it's own. hasn't done it in the last 3 or 4 thousand miles. Never did take it to the shop.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
Mine use to do the low rpm shut off, while down shifting but quit doing it on it's own. hasn't done it in the last 3 or 4 thousand miles. Never did take it to the shop.
Mine did it once and 3k miles it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All right folks, short update: I had taken my Challenger into the dealership to find out why the bike would simply just shut off when coming to a stop or during very low speed deceleration situations. This wouldn't happen every time and seemed to happen repeately at the rate of approximately or after riding the bike a distance of about 35 to 45 miles. The synopsis by the Indian dealership was that the throttle bodies where out-of-sync but didn't need replaced and that the bike also had a bad/defective 02 sensor. So..... I get the bike back and ride it about 50 miles and it just shuts off again. I continued to ride the bike on short rides over a period of a few days afterwords and again, after riding only about 50-miles the bike shut off. Although, the last time the situation was different about how it shut off, I was actually accelerating when the engine just died (shut off) out and not decelerating. I'm going to contact the Indian dealership today (03.17.2021) regarding this new information and I'm also going to see if I can get the dealership mechanic and Holeshot Mike to possibly collaborate on this issue. Enough is enough, and I want positive results, my patiences are getting thin over this matter. Not to mention the safety factor or liability it presents to ne when trying to operate a bike of this size on roads, highways and/or interstate riding around the Dallas/Ft Worth Metro plex. I'm also not happy that I can't even think about planning or taking a vacation trip until the fix is in......
Is all the power going away or is it just like the kill switch was hit. If you still have power but it dies it may be the fuel pump. Had this mystery on my Chieftain. Fuel pump solved the problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yeah you have exactly the same two issues I had (bad O2 and shutting off). They replaced the O2 and they also replaced the throttle body. I've only driven maybe 700 miles since the new TB, but the engine shut-off hasn't happened. My advice would be to have them actually just replace the TB instead. My dealership opened a ticket with Polaris, and Polaris recommended replacement. Maybe they can do the same for you. Just hang in there, because it'll get worked out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Is all the power going away or is it just like the kill switch was hit. If you still have power but it dies it may be the fuel pump. Had this mystery on my Chieftain. Fuel pump solved the problem.
It literally kills the engine. You have to restart it via the switch.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
It's like someone hits the kill switch. Bike stays on, engine stops.

Reactions: HERK

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is what was happening with my Chieftain. Fuel pump fixed mine. It actually occurred over several months now and then, wasn’t until it got so bad that it was actually determined to be fuel starvation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indian told me that engineers said it could be wire hardness located on the left side under the fix fairing. Schedule 15k mile service and they’ll check the wiring. I’ve not had the stalling issue in about 3k miles. 🤞🏽

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
@millmutt

Exactly.... doesn't matter if I'm cruising (maintain speed & rpm), decelerating or accelerating. The engine just dies. So when this happens, I power the bike down, move the kill switch to off. Then power bike back up and press start and the bike acts and runs like nothing ever happen until I ride another forty or fifty miles, then it just dies again.

·
167 Posts
My bike Problem was different . Mine use to die while down shifting, when the clutch was disengaged, letting the clutch out re-started the engine. Not a serious problem , just annoying and shouldn't ever happen.

·
Bronze member
2,640 Posts
Hey Herk, I‘d call Mike Pacella at Holeshot PowerSports in Jacksonville, FL. Mike fixed my Challenger and seems to be “the guy” when it come to expertise on the Challenger. What concerns me about your problem is the dealer first diagnosed the problems as out of sync throttle bodies, then when the problem persisted, said it was a bad 02 sensor. JM2C, but that doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in their ability to ID the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Hey Herk, I‘d call Mike Pacella at Holeshot PowerSports in Jacksonville, FL. Mike fixed my Challenger and seems to be “the guy” when it come to expertise on the Challenger. What concerns me about your problem is the dealer first diagnosed the problems as out of sync throttle bodies, then when the problem persisted, said it was a bad 02 sensor. JM2C, but that doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in their ability to ID the problem.

Thanks TigerGA, and funny thing you have mention this too because just yesterday when I was talking to the dealership service tech, I told them I want the mechanic to collaborate this issue with Mike Pacella "Holeshot Mike" at Holeshot PowerSports in Jacksonville, FL.

I have had patience faith they (the local dealership I deal mostly with) would be able to fix this issue and I also expressed that I wanted positive results now and not waiting another month later. They have agreed to schedule my Challenger back into their shop on Tuesday of next week. I also agree with you, they haven't been able to diagnose the problem correctly up to this point, thus is why I want them to now speak and collaborate with Mike Pacella.

I know I don't seem to post a lot on here or as much as I use to but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading post/threads and follow what been going on with the Challenger with the owners here mostly.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Racin Ray Bought a 2020 challenger from a dealership and was having problems with the engine, not shutting down but one cylinder not working. He drove 4 1/2 hours to Holeshot power sports and they found out his throttle bodies were out of sync by a lot. After Mike sync his TBs his bike is purring like a new kitten. Herk, your bike is in good hands at Holeshot. I heard mike had fixed over 60 bikes already. Let's keep our fingers cross, your is going to be on that list and is nothing more serious.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Racin Ray Bought a 2020 challenger from a dealership and was having problems with the engine, not shutting down but one cylinder not working. He drove 4 1/2 hours to Holeshot power sports and they found out his throttle bodies were out of sync by a lot. After Mike sync his TBs his bike is purring like a new kitten. Herk, your bike is in good hands at Holeshot. I heard mike had fixed over 60 bikes already. Let's keep our fingers cross, your is going to be on that list and is nothing more serious.
Unfortunately, it's not at Holeshot Powersports. I'm located in Texas and I'm trying to get my local dealership (Lone Star Indian) to collaborate with MIke on this issue.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If they have the right tools (sync gauges) they should be able too but if you are unhappy contact Indian directly. They were covering the transportation cost to and from Holeshot. Keep the pressure. Good luck.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts