Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 206 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,703 Posts
After 6500 miles, mine did it twice, within a few weeks of each other, always at slow speed. Took it to the dealer and my throttle bodies were out of sync...actually twice the allowed variance. Service dept adjusted the throttle bodies to well within spec. Can’t report on the success, just got it done today, but I’m sure this was the culprit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Face - I’m under the impression this was a software update Indian had to issue not long after the first bikes started rolling out of showrooms. People were experiencing a shut-off, particularly while cornering. Are you sure your dealer is up-to-date on their latest software updates? Call Indian?

I’m a subscriber and dig your channel! 🤙
Thanks DMV SoloRider, and you're right. The Challenger has been updated and flash. I'll be posting a video soon on the "error codes" the challenger indicated. This time I took pictures of the screen and took to Indian to figure out what is/has happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 6500 miles, mine did it twice, within a few weeks of each other, always at slow speed. Took it to the dealer and my throttle bodies were out of sync...actually twice the allowed variance. Service dept adjusted the throttle bodies to well within spec. Can’t report on the success, just got it done today, but I’m sure this was the culprit.
Good information and keep us informed. Thanks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Challenger has 9,800 miles and has die 3-times. It restarted and along I went. Now, after riding about 120 miles today and stopped to take pictures. The Challenger wouldn't start, and before shutting down power I went to the info. system and diagnose the issue. It indicated U260A: ATR component status state abnormal update rate. Indian dealership is closed today and wondering if anyone has experience or knows what this mean?
My dealer couldn't find anything wrong. I requested the information on the error codes. They said their manual don't have those codes. I again requested they be identify, and the response I received was they would need to follow up with Indian. My bike is running good, but I rather not be stranded.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
My Challenger unfortunately is going into the dealership on Tuesday of next week to resolve the dieing issue by replace the throttle bodies, etc., on my early manufactured 2020 Limited model. :cool:

Better now during the winter months of Texas then later when riding season is in full swing. Plus the safety issue of it all has really been bothering me when I ride it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Challenger unfortunately is going into the dealership on Tuesday of next week to resolve the dieing issue by replace the throttle bodies, etc., on my early manufactured 2020 Limited model. :cool:

Better now during the winter months of Texas then later when riding season is in full swing. Plus the safety issue of it all has really been bothering me when I ride it.
So true..I'll keep you informed. Today I contacted a "Gold" wrench Indian dealer in the Phoenix area and hope to hear back soon. I'll keep everyone informed, but for now I'm still facing the road!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds Erie familiar to an issue I had. Indian had some problems with the ignition circuit circuit breaker. I’d be riding down the road at 70 mph then the engine dies. I pull off the side of the highway and it would start up and after a few minutes it would happen again. I trailered you the local Indian dealership and they went through everything and cleaned and tightened connections at a cost of $160 and the thought maybe it was a loose connection and after taking it for a short test ride they said I should be fine. Sure enough riding it home after going 50 miles it happened again. I get it home and started going through it all myself I realize that only the ignition circuit would drop off and the rest of the power to the bike was good. I pull the cover to look at the fuse panel and notice the ignition circuit has a circuit breaker that looks like a funny looking tall fuse. So I thought what the hell I’ll replace that and low and behold that was the problem! It’s been 2 years since and no more issues! The circuit breaker was weak and would open up prematurely and when it rested it would reconnect so the bike could be restarted. It would be worth the $10 to replace yours to see if that was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Are there tests or testers for for these circuit breakers?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Had my throttle bodies synced and haven’t had a problem since.
I really hope that's all it is on my bike too but should they need to replace the throttle bodies to make right well... I'm on board with that. Although, I also know it will be in the shop at least a week longer to do the throttle body replacement due to having to waiting for the new throttle bodies to come in from Indian corporate. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds Erie familiar to an issue I had. Indian had some problems with the ignition circuit circuit breaker. I’d be riding down the road at 70 mph then the engine dies. I pull off the side of the highway and it would start up and after a few minutes it would happen again. I trailered you the local Indian dealership and they went through everything and cleaned and tightened connections at a cost of $160 and the thought maybe it was a loose connection and after taking it for a short test ride they said I should be fine. Sure enough riding it home after going 50 miles it happened again. I get it home and started going through it all myself I realize that only the ignition circuit would drop off and the rest of the power to the bike was good. I pull the cover to look at the fuse panel and notice the ignition circuit has a circuit breaker that looks like a funny looking tall fuse. So I thought what the hell I’ll replace that and low and behold that was the problem! It’s been 2 years since and no more issues! The circuit breaker was weak and would open up prematurely and when it rested it would reconnect so the bike could be restarted. It would be worth the $10 to replace yours to see if that was the problem.

Glad to hear your problem was resolved. I contacted my dealer yesterday and they said my error codes were sent to Indian. Furthermore, they are working to resolve it. I'll check my fuse box as well. FACE...the road.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Well..... Lone Star Indian sent me a text message on Wednesday afternoon and said that my throttle bodies were out of sync. They had to wait for a new digital wrench to be sent on Thursday so I still haven't been informed as of yet if they can just re-sync them or if they will have to replaced the throttle bodies. I'm probably going to stop in the dealership after work later this afternoon to see what progress they have made. I took the bike in for the Throttle body sync inspection and ECM update but I am also having the dealership install the new PowerPlus cams as well.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Update: Saturday afternoon I rode over to Lone Star Indian to follow up on the progress of my 2020 Limited. Yeager (Indian Mechanic Tech) said that after the balance testing-sync and reprograming the ECU including running a few other specific tests that Indian corporate sent for them to perform on the bike, they stated it was running strong at this time and there had been no incidents of the engine shutting off again however, they still needed to log more road milage testing to assure that this issue of the bike shutting down was completely corrected. After expressing to them that I wasn't in any huge hurry to get the bike back and just wanted this problem to be fully resolved, the service manager then offered that Yeager (with a grin on his face) could possibly run/ride the bike over their weekend (Sunday & Monday) time off to log more miles and actual running time to be 100% sure that everything was in proper working order, of course I agreed without any hesitation. So if there is no reoccurrences or any other problem(s) over the next two days of riding, the bike should start getting torn down and prep for the new PowerPlus cam upgrade installation. :cool:

Off topic: Before taking the Limited into the dealership last Tuesday, I contacted Dynojet regarding if there was possibly a new tune version in the works for the PCV that would include adjustments for the PP108 Indain with PowerPlus cams. They replied that at this time they have not generated any tune for the PCV regarding this particular (PowerPlus Cams) modification. Funny thing was, the Indain Mechanic Tech had also called Dynojet on his own accord and explained that he has already installed these cams on other Challengers here in north Texas and that they too had the new PCV installed and was requesting a new tune for the obvious performance reason. Maybe if enough other Challenger owners including more Indian dealership mechanics who are using the PCV on their Challengers (obviously with the new cams) Dynojet may get a Challenger w/the new cams up on their inhouse dynomometer to develope a specific tune for the bikes running with the new Indian PowerPlus cams. The reason why I am bringing this up is, until an aftermarket specific tuner is released or could be used on the Challenger & Bosch ECU system, Dynojet just may help themselves sell even more of the PCV made for Challengers and of course maybe add better and/or increase performace results from use of their PowerCommander 5 product. It's kind of like something that MIke Pacella said in a post debate on FaceBook regarding, if the new cams are worth the the cost impact for the 10% performance increase and that with the speed limiter still unable to be removed from the Challenger you'll only get to 110-mph faster than the other guy so he said; " What's it worth to be second .... Just Sayin".

·
Rider
565 Posts
Update: Saturday afternoon I rode over to Lone Star Indian to follow up on the progress of my 2020 Limited. Yeager (Indian Mechanic Tech) said that after the balance testing-sync and reprograming the ECU including running a few other specific tests that Indian corporate sent for them to perform on the bike, they stated it was running strong at this time and there had been no incidents of the engine shutting off again however, they still needed to log more road milage testing to assure that this issue of the bike shutting down was completely corrected. After expressing to them that I wasn't in any huge hurry to get the bike back and just wanted this problem to be fully resolved, the service manager then offered that Yeager (with a grin on his face) could possibly run/ride the bike over their weekend (Sunday & Monday) time off to log more miles and actual running time to be 100% sure that everything was in proper working order, of course I agreed without any hesitation. So if there is no reoccurrences or any other problem(s) over the next two days of riding, the bike should start getting torn down and prep for the new PowerPlus cam upgrade installation. :cool:

Off topic: Before taking the Limited into the dealership last Tuesday, I contacted Dynojet regarding if there was possibly a new tune version in the works for the PCV that would include adjustments for the PP108 Indain with PowerPlus cams. They replied that at this time they have not generated any tune for the PCV regarding this particular (PowerPlus Cams) modification. Funny thing was, the Indain Mechanic Tech had also called Dynojet on his own accord and explained that he has already installed these cams on other Challengers here in north Texas and that they too had the new PCV installed and was requesting a new tune for the obvious performance reason. Maybe if enough other Challenger owners including more Indian dealership mechanics who are using the PCV on their Challengers (obviously with the new cams) Dynojet may get a Challenger w/the new cams up on their inhouse dynomometer to develope a specific tune for the bikes running with the new Indian PowerPlus cams. The reason why I am bringing this up is, until an aftermarket specific tuner is released or could be used on the Challenger & Bosch ECU system, Dynojet just may help themselves sell even more of the PCV made for Challengers and of course maybe add better and/or increase performace results from use of their PowerCommander 5 product. It's kind of like something that MIke Pacella said in a post debate on FaceBook regarding, if the new cams are worth the the cost impact for the 10% performance increase and that with the speed limiter still unable to be removed from the Challenger you'll only get to 110-mph faster than the other guy so he said; " What's it worth to be second .... Just Sayin".
“If yer not first yer last!”

-Ricky Bobby-

·
Registered
110 Posts
When mine was brand spankin new- I was pulling up to a stop sign, and pulled in the clutch. The engine cut off, which would suck in any other situation. She fired right back up and hasn’t done it since. I still don’t know what that was about.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Udpate 02.03.2021: Well, well, well...... I was just conversing with Seth, the Indian Service/Parts Manager at Lone Star Indian dealership and after logging more miles on the Challenger over the past two days they finally had the engine stall/shut down (w/a check engine light on) issue happen to them. The diagnostic test showed a faulty O2 Sensor, which would cause the engine to run just lean enough and cause it to die/shut off when at very slow speed deceleration situations, just like before you come to a complete stop. That has been the exact problem I was having and at exactly the same time when it would only happen. The Master Tech added to informed that this has been my problem the entire time and they ordered a new O2 Sensor. :cool:

On another note, I guess either this issue isn't very easy to check for or identify if/or when you get a diagnostic notice on the RideCommand. Also, if I might add.... If I would of had a tuner display such as like the Dynojet PVCX was for the my 16 Springfield Thunderstroke engine, the O2 sensor malfunction would of been easily identified and quickly discovered. I learned quickly that the O2 sensors for the WBCX (wide band O2 sensors) system (not the narrow bands that are installed from the Indian assembly plant) could become damaged easily by them simply being struck, dropped or shocked like when you would hit a hard pot hole or bump on the road and/or during assembly or disassembly of the exhaust header pipe system and so on. When I was testing and running tuning logs with my 16 Springfield, I had to change out the wideband O2 sensor a couple of times however, this was over a period of a couple of months of some very hard testing and hard/fast riding. My point is that a good tuner with a display (like the Dynojet PVCX) could have save a lot of time and effort on finding what the issue(s) were in this case, in which any basically mechanically inclined owner could fix themself should they choose too or when perhaps the owner no longer has any warranty coverage, etc., etc.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Udpate 02.03.2021: Well, well, well...... I was just conversing with Seth, the Indian Service/Parts Manager at Lone Star Indian dealership and after logging more miles on the Challenger over the past two days they finally had the engine stall/shut down (w/a check engine light on) issue happen to them. The diagnostic test showed a faulty O2 Sensor, which would cause the engine to run just lean enough and cause it to die/shut off when at very slow speed deceleration situations, just like before you come to a complete stop. That has been the exact problem I was having and at exactly the same time when it would only happen. The Master Tech added to informed that this has been my problem the entire time and they ordered a new O2 Sensor. :cool:

On another note, I guess either this issue isn't very easy to check for or identify if/or when you get a diagnostic notice on the RideCommand. Also, if I might add.... If I would of had a tuner display such as like the Dynojet PVCX was for the my 16 Springfield Thunderstroke engine, the O2 sensor malfunction would of been easily identified and quickly discovered. I learned quickly that the O2 sensors for the WBCX (wide band O2 sensors) system (not the narrow bands that are installed from the Indian assembly plant) could become damaged easily by them simply being struck, dropped or shocked like when you would hit a hard pot hole or bump on the road and/or during assembly or disassembly of the exhaust header pipe system nad so on. When I was testing and running tuning logs with my 16 Springfield, I had to change out the wideband O2 sensor a couple of times however, this was over a period of a couple of months of some very hard testing and hard/fast riding. My point is that a good tuner with a display (like the Dynojet PVCX) could have save a lot of time and effort on finding what the issue(s) were in this case, in which any basically mechanically inclined owner could fix themself should they choose too or when perhaps the owner no longer has any warranty coverage, etc., etc.
Marketing for the Challenger....Dyno Jet PVCX....DIAGNOSTIC TOOL....hide the tuning & speed limiter!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Funny you mention this. I started this thread because my bike has shut off a few times, etc.... But the day I bought my bike, I got on it for the first time ever to ride it home from the dealer. The check engine light came on the first time I fired it up in the dealership parking lot. I rode it home and it stayed lit the whole time. Annoyed that my brand new bike tossed a CEL the first time I rode it, I drove it back to the dealership the next day (the CEL remained on). Turns out it was a bad O2 sensor. So I had to leave my brand new bike there for a few days while they got a new one installed.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
You know now adays just about every manufacturer will offer something that either helps, improves, makes better or can simplfies your life, like with motorcycle, auto and truck vehicle, off-road vehicle, engine tuners...... even for your home or electronics, etc., etc., etc however. There is always somewhere they tend to leave just enough room for change, upgrades or the "Oh wait that's isn't available yet" that brings you in the spend more money on their product(s).... then they look at you like "Gotcha!" Just like how it is with the Bosch ECU in our Challengers, we are all mostly at the mercy of Indian/Polaris when it comes to this particular device on our motorcycles.

41 - 60 of 206 Posts