Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 DH Challenger. It has shut off multiple times in the 4 months or so that I've had it. It's really starting to bother me becuase of how dangerous it is! All of a sudden I am just driving along and the bike engine shuts off. I hit the start button to bring it back to life (while coasting down the road at speed :rolleyes:o_O), but it's very alarming.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Anyone else experience this? It's happened probably 8-9 times over the past few months..... It's gonna get me killed at some point I fear....

·
5 years +
186 Posts
For starters check your battery terminals with a wrench. Have you thought about bringing it to your dealer?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
I had it happen one time. I was pulling up to an intersection and pulled the clutch and the bike just died. I was in 2nd or 3rd gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2020 DH Challenger. It has shut off multiple times in the 4 months or so that I've had it. It's really starting to bother me becuase of how dangerous it is! All of a sudden I am just driving along and the bike engine shuts off. I hit the start button to bring it back to life (while coasting down the road at speed :rolleyes:o_O), but it's very alarming.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Anyone else experience this? It's happened probably 8-9 times over the past few months..... It's gonna get me killed at some point I fear....
Check for error/failure codes and report them to your dealer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
believe it or not some have reported a loose negative battery connection as being the cause for their similar experiences.. Check that first. second, make sure you turn off cylinder deactivation. Just to see if that was what you were experiencing. Third, did you do any mods to the bike like an exhaust swap or decat? again, others have reported same issue but only after decatting and not doing the proper tune. Four, throttle bodies sync. That's a common issue with some the earlier model releases. But you're bike is 4 months old so most likely they already performed that recall. If you already did these four things, than just bring it back to the dealer.. that's what warranty is for.. good luck and let us know how you make out. oh, and yes, as mentioned earlier, check your Ride Command under status for any error codes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try this I read it either on this forum or on Facebook I did it and it hasn’t cut off since. Make sure the power switch on the right control cube is off and don’t touch it. Power on the round power switch on the fairing and let the ride command screen come up fully, wait about 2 minutes until fully loaded and don’t touch the throttle at all very important!!! Power down with the fairing switch. Power up with the same round fairing switch again and wait the 2 minutes again. Power down and power up again with fairing switch for another 2 minutes. Power down and let bike sit over night. The next day power up with fairing switch let ride command come fully up and then start bike with the handlebar switch. Should be good to go after this procedure. It’s supposed to sync the throttle bodies electronically. It seems to have worked for me. I did this and haven’t had the bike cut off since.

·
Bronze member
2,715 Posts
Happened once after I had 6500 miles. Pulling out of driveway, making a slow turn at almost full lock. Bike died while barely moving. Plan on taking the bike to dealer after Christmas. Also, bike is completely stock.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,405 Posts
The new 2021 models don't have the power button in the fairing. It's now a Battery Tender socket. I'm hoping that Indian has the bugs out of the Challenger for it's second model year. That's why I strongly avoid the first year of a new model vehicle of any kind.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
believe it or not some have reported a loose negative battery connection as being the cause for their similar experiences.. Check that first. second, make sure you turn off cylinder deactivation. Just to see if that was what you were experiencing. Third, did you do any mods to the bike like an exhaust swap or decat? again, others have reported same issue but only after decatting and not doing the proper tune. Four, throttle bodies sync. That's a common issue with some the earlier model releases. But you're bike is 4 months old so most likely they already performed that recall. If you already did these four things, than just bring it back to the dealer.. that's what warranty is for.. good luck and let us know how you make out. oh, and yes, as mentioned earlier, check your Ride Command under status for any error codes.
Thanks Drod. The bike is stock. And the Diagnostics screen in Ride Command shows nothing. Back to the dealer I go I guess.... :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
The new 2021 models don't have the power button in the fairing. It's now a Battery Tender socket. I'm hoping that Indian has the bugs out of the Challenger for it's second model year. That's why I strongly avoid the first year of a new model vehicle of any kind.
They only moved the power button to another location (the handlebars) in order to move the battery tender connector to the fairing.. it just cleans it up a bit more. nothing else has changed.. same engine, same Ride Command software version, same frame, shocks, power delivery, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
I belive that our models have the circuitry in them to support handle bar power as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
what do you mean support handlebar power? the 20 and 21 models are prewired for heated grips if that's what you mean. That's about all the wiring you can tap into. The 21 has the power button moved from fairing to the handlebar but you can't do anything else with that connection.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
Someone posted a picture of their switch block removed and there are pads on their 20 Challenger where the new power button is. Looks like you'd just need the proper housing and switch to make it work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You know I removed my controls when I swapped bars and installed the heated grips.. I never noticed it.. You're making we want to take it apart again just to check it out.

·
Bronze member
2,715 Posts
Someone posted a picture of their switch block removed and there are pads on their 20 Challenger where the new power button is. Looks like you'd just need the proper housing and switch to make it work.
You’re correct...I recall seeing this on my 20 Challenger when replacing the bars.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
You know I removed my controls when I swapped bars and installed the heated grips.. I never noticed it.. You're making we want to take it apart again just to check it out.
Pics or it didn't happen! 😂

·
Registered
207 Posts
oh it did happen.. pics attached of my little mess doing the swap.. Unfortunately, I did not take the oppty to examine the inner controls more closely to see if there was an option to relocate the power button like on the 21s.
2020-11-13 21.10.51.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
207 Posts
dude, the worst part was getting all of the handlebar control wires back in neatly in order to put the covers back on flush. Kept ending up with a large gap that drove me crazy. It was a PITA. I don't ever want to do that again..

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
I've considered replacing the bars but I need to see how the new seat works out first. I do plan on moving the power button to the handlebars when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts