Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I doing something wrong? Every time I have to fill the tank, and this happens really often due to the limited capacity, I have to limit the output stream at the lowest possible flow to avoid spills. Takes forever to fill a small tank

Braap!

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
Yeah it’s a process. If you don’t pay attention it over fills and gets fuel all over your testicles. That was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? Every time I have to fill the tank, and this happens really often due to the limited capacity, I have to limit the output stream at the lowest possible flow to avoid spills. Takes forever to fill a small tank

Braap!
Slow and steady......or less throttle. So slow and steady it is!

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I fill mine at 100% flow until I can see that it's nearing the top of the tank. Then I cut the flow as best I can (every pump is different, and I do have a few specific favorites at stations in my area that allow you to really ease-up on the flow, like down to 20% or so, for the last half-gallon or so). Some pumps, on the other hand, have no adjustability to them at all, and make you either run at 100% flow or basically zero. I also always have a paper towel or two handy for the occasional splash-out or too-quick overflow.

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Yup. Everytime I fill, I have circus music playing in my head.
Sure it's not ideal, but I'm not bothered by it really..
Unless I , like @ferraiolo1 were to end up with petrol coated danglers.. that would be a bother for sure...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally have no problem with fueling the Bike. I never do so while sitting on the motorcycle. She sits up straight enough there is no reason to be seated. I also was expecting more difficulty when I gassed up the first
time as so many had posted how slow a process it was, I was ready. I also have a few local pumps I try to use when needed. Yes all my Jap bikes were easier to fuel, but I love the FTR the most!!!!!!!

Reactions: Gobux

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a no spill gas can and try to fill at home when I can ,plus I put the first half gallon in my truck to make sure I’m 100% premium fuel . But your right little bit of a Art to filling at the pump

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do the same.

I also add 1 oz of blue Stabil Marine Grade to each 5 Gal.

I fill some 5 Gal containers in Escondido on my way back to San Diego from Palomar.

Cheapest gas in SD County.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
I also add 1 oz of blue Stabil Marine Grade to each 5 Gal.
I guess you let your bike sit a long, long time between rides. Fuel stabilizers or additives are not really needed unless you really have some really piss poor fuel or are putting your bike up for over 6 months. Now let's hear from the racers that want to boost the octane. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The first time I filled my Chief, I spilled gas all over the place! After that I started filling it slow and easy carefully watching the fuel level. No more problems after that. Just had to adapt to the way the tank is made.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do all the CA residents have a problem with that foreskin? lol [sorry]
Some foreskin are easier to peel back than others. Really depends on the station. A good pump is one where the spring behind the foreskin is weak and the fuel delivery pressure can be modulated. And then there are the very, very rare circumcised nozzles usually found in the extreme rural areas that aren't visited by Jerry and Gavin's Nazis.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
No foreskin where I live everything is circumcised at the pumps. I never had an issue with it. Although I would rather fuel from the center of the tank it just makes it easier no matter what side of the pump you pull up on.

·
Rider
862 Posts
Yep its a mess.
I always get off bike but first fueling pump burped gas all over the place.
Why they have that stupid cup baffel with the smaller hole for the nozzzle which has a cross bar.
When you put the nozzle in it doesnt go deep enough and when gas comes up and hits it its too late and went all over my brand new bike. Wonderful engineering. This is the only dislike i have with my chieftain.
I fillit thru the hole raising nozzle enough to see inside tank.
Havent spilled a drop since.
It takes longer yes but the end result is no more spills for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts