Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ~1500 miles of ownership I've hit the 5th to 6th false neutral 3 times and I read that the scouts have this issue but haven't seen anything about it on the FTR. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Silver member
4,910 Posts
I had it too, twice in 3500 miles. I blame a lazy left foot.

What could help is adjust the lever a tad down and make sure the linkage is lubed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It’s because it happens when you’re hard on the throttle shifting into 6th above 6k generally.

Leisurely riding it won’t do it.
So I had this happen once last week and twice today when I was hard in the throttle and shifting into sixth gear... caused me to hit the rev limiter and display shows it's still in 5th, but I'm almost certain that I had fully engaged 6th gear. I'll try adjusting the linkage slightly, not sure how my ankle will feel about the new position... but if it resolves the 5th-to-6th false neutral then I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Clicked up on the shifter with the same force as every other gear change before it, and even felt the "click". I don't baby this bike, if it only happened once I would think okay my mistake, but it's obvious the toe shifter either has some play in it or needs to be adjusted. I just want to resolve the issue so that it doesn't cause me to have an accident or damage the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the same happen to me a couple times in the 2-3 weeks I've had my FTR. Both times was when I was accelerating faster on it and it happened around 5-6 rpm.

Do we think switching the foot shifter will make a difference mechanically or would it just be a case of my foot just having to travel less for the shift? I find the current position generally ideal for how my foot rests over/under it so ideally wouldn't want to change it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with Max, if your a lazy shifter you’ll find a falsely between them all...but dropping the lever will definitely help...If your having trouble...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Max, if your a lazy shifter you’ll find a falsely between them all...but dropping the lever will definitely help...If your having trouble...👍😎🇦🇺
Thanks mate, will have to give it a shot soon as I'm in my new place where I can get my tools out to play :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Had this 5-6 shift problem several times. I'm not a fan one bit. I feel a transmission from a large company, such as Indian, should never have this problem.

I'm guessing it's something I can't bring to the dealer for a warranty issue. Seems like it's an inherent design issue and the Indian mechanic wouldn't have a way to fix it anyway. He would just put in new replacement parts that would continue with the same issues. Sound about right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve had it too, though to be fair I’ve had it on a Ducati Monster with a quickshifter going from 5-6. Imagine having a wide open throttle then shifting, only to get a false neutral.... Bounces off the rev limiter pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts