Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "other bike" had flip up floorboards and I dragged them plenty of times. In fact, did it on purpose so it wouldn't surprise me.

Haven't done it on the Springfield yet. Also haven't yet done the "plywood test" to see what would drag first. Anyone have experience with this? I'm kind of leery about dragging the highway bar cause I don't want to pivot the front tire off the ground and... um... yeah...

·
Bronze member
2,138 Posts
The clamp that connects my exhaust crossover beneath the right side will scrap before anything else. The bolt is ground down from some mountain twisties.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The clamp that connects my exhaust crossover beneath the right side will scrap before anything else. The bolt is ground down from some mountain twisties.
Might have something to do with your suspension setup. Or total loading (and weight distribution) on the bike.
Also, maybe something to do with how your exhaust clamp is adjusted or installed.

My highway bars will touch ground just after the floorboards... no exhaust touch. But, different setup than Springfield. I am referring to Chieftain here... sorry I didn't notice the Springfield reference in title.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I dragged a highway bar once on a previous (non-Indian) bike. Shortly thereafter I was dragging the floorboard, gearshift peg, mirror, left grip, saddle bag...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,799 Posts
My "other bike" had flip up floorboards and I dragged them plenty of times. In fact, did it on purpose so it wouldn't surprise me.

Haven't done it on the Springfield yet. Also haven't yet done the "plywood test" to see what would drag first. Anyone have experience with this? I'm kind of leery about dragging the highway bar cause I don't want to pivot the front tire off the ground and... um... yeah...
Ain't gonna happen..... .. as another has said.. your boards will drag first... I've dragged the pipes as well.. if you are dragging that highway bar, you've got a big problem ....

So to answer your question .... Don't worry about it :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! That helps ease my worries for sure. As I get more and more comfortable on the bike, I'm getting further into the lean angle. Just didn't want to have any nasty surprises.

Nice thing is that it definitely has more lean angle than my last bike ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
the only reason I worry what drags is so I don't cut my hands open next time the bike is washed. Easy find what part drags, every morning look under your bike, where ever there's a bolt laying that there is the area yur dragin. We kick the tire to knock off the scuffed loose parts so they don't puncture tires not to see if there is air in the tire - the motorcycle zen book.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Done it on both sides. I have the leather trim on the floor board. The leather trim made the contract on the underside, not noticeable. After riding a Heritage that scraped the boards on every turn the Springfield needs some serious lean to scrape.

·
Registered
407 Posts
These things have more lean angle than most folks need. Once your boards start scraping you probably ought to stop, if possible. It looks like the floorbord mounts will hit shortly before the engine guards. Here’s a good look at lean angle, she did not scrape the boards in this turn, but got pretty close :)

DEA3F106-1ABE-4D3E-9C0A-A8C90F0CF655.jpeg

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Floorboards scaping a lot. I will install replaceable warning pegs this winter.. before I get a hole in my floorboards.

Exhaust scaped a bit, but that was probably one time I had my pressure low on the rear suspension.

My highway pegs have also scaped a bit.

Less funny is the scaping of the hard support of my floorboards. I mean basically the frame... I think this is due to the fact that the floorboards do not spring back down after scraping hard unless you push down on them. So after each curve, floorboards are further up, and in my case, the next thing is the fixed-to-the-frame floorboard brackets. both sides are like this...
20170914_181756.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had my Springfield for 2 weeks and after my break in service today, I scraped my left floorboard in a roundabout going faster than I should've. It was a nice, controlled minor touch at a little elevated speed for the roundabout. There was no drama... just a little noise and a huge smile under my helmet...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've scraped the floorboards a couple of times on the Vintage, on my '99 & '03 Victory it was a regular occurrence. The V92C was just better in the twisties than the Vintage but way more harsh on the freeway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts