Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Anyone do work or can transport my bike in the West TN Area?

709 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Arky
Good morning,

I'm not one for DIY and have messed up many things and I don't want to mess something up again. Does anyone work on Scout's in the West TN area? If no one does, is there anyone who can transport my bike to the dealership for me? The last dealer here closed down 2 years ago a few months after I got my Scout and now they're all 2h 35m away from me.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2020 Indian Scout ABS Sky Blue / White Pearl -- 2018 Kawasaki NINJA 400 ABS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you located and what do you need done to your scout? I’m outside of Jackson TN.

Tim
Good evening,

I'm in Munford TN. This past Winter, my Scout wouldn't turn over from the cold weather. The check engine light I was given was pointing to the Battery. I thought I had some time to get the battery and such but when I was stranded at my job, I tried everything to get it started and it would never start. We even tried using my dad's Spyder to crank the bike at the time but it never started. Then we had tried using a battery tender to charge the battery and the battery wouldn't charge. The little plug that you get that connects to the battery on the side doesn't register something plugged into it now, so I'm assuming the battery is dead dead receiving power. I ended up paying Munford & Towing to tow the bike home but they are 1. Slow and 2. I don't have confidence in their towing capabilities of bikes anymore after that night.

I don't want to work on my bike anymore. I'd rather someone skilled do it from now on and going forward. I don't mind messing up my sportbike and fixing it because it's relatively cheap to replace mostly everything on it but not the Cruiser so far. So, I'm looking for someone who wants to try to get the bike running again or someone to tow it to the dealer in Nashville for me. The dealer in Memphis closed down 3 months after I got my bike in 2020, so they're all almost 3 hours away. :(

· Registered
59 Posts
yea I was pissed when our dealer closed. They were not a good dealer anyway. My battery died on my RM last year I got a new one from the local parts store.
It sounds like your battery has given up the ghost. Try replacing it before you go through all the trouble of taking it to Trashville.
I am in Bartlett

· Registered
456 Posts
Here is the page out of the 2020 factory manual showing you how to change your battery. Also included is a picture of your battery for a part number or you can buy one direct from Summit Racing. I too have a 2020 Scout. It takes less than 15 minutes to change it out. Just to haul it to Sloan’s in Murfreesboro and back would be close to $375 if they can fix it the same day which they rarely do as you can’t make an appointment if troubleshooting is involved.

Tim

Product Font Gadget Red Material property
Material property Camera accessory Font Wood Heat-shrink tubing
Font Material property Parallel Publication Pattern
Font Rectangle Parallel Automotive tire Screenshot

· Registered
2020 Indian Scout ABS Sky Blue / White Pearl -- 2018 Kawasaki NINJA 400 ABS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the page out of the 2020 factory manual showing you how to change your battery. Also included is a picture of your battery for a part number or you can buy one direct from Summit Racing. I too have a 2020 Scout. It takes less than 15 minutes to change it out. Just to haul it to Sloan’s in Murfreesboro and back would be close to $375 if they can fix it the same day which they rarely do as you can’t make an appointment if troubleshooting is involved.

Tim

View attachment 724887 View attachment 724888 View attachment 724889 View attachment 724890
Good evening,

Alright, I'll give it a try this weekend. Thank you.

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,465 Posts
In the future, and I know it's a ways for you, but State Line Indian in Bristol is top shelf, A # 1 in my book. I used to live near there. Honest, courteous and great service. I wish they'd open a dealership in Maine. I started using them when Charlotte changed ownership. I bought my 2016 Roadmaster from their other dealership in Savannah, Ga of which I would give very similar platitudes too. You got this battery thingy down with the good advice you have received from the guys who posted.

· Registered
590 Posts
. Then we had tried using a battery tender to charge the battery and the battery wouldn't charge. The little plug that you get that connects to the battery on the side doesn't register something plugged into it now, so I'm assuming the battery is dead dead receiving power.
While you are at it, you also may want to check the fuse for that battery tender pigtail on the bike. It should be a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box, and if it is blown you will never get the battery to charge through that plug. But it certainly sounds like you need a new battery regardless.

· Registered
1,041 Posts
In the future, and I know it's a ways for you, but State Line Indian in Bristol is top shelf, A # 1 in my book. I used to live near there. Honest, courteous and great service. I wish they'd open a dealership in Maine. I started using them when Charlotte changed ownership. I bought my 2016 Roadmaster from their other dealership in Savannah, Ga of which I would give very similar platitudes too. You got this battery thingy down with the good advice you have received from the guys who posted.
I had to get a new tire last week on the road and happened to be in Bristol so i pulled into State Line Indian. They had me fixed up in about an hour. Not only was the service excellent but they were wonderful people. Can't say enough good about them.

· Silver member
4,237 Posts
I can identify with not wanting to work on a bike. I have a good dealer in Knoxville and a great independent mechanic is I want to go a bit cheaper for oil changes and tires. I will change bike and fob batteries if I need to. :ROFLMAO:

· Bronze member
3,624 Posts
If it's like my bike with a pigtail for the battery tender,it will have a 3amp inline fuse in it.
If you try to jump it or put a regular charger on it,you will blow the fuse.
Then it will not register on the charger or charge.
Put your charger directly on the battery or change to a 10 amp fuse.

· Registered
'21 Scout, black, ABS
55 Posts
If the battery is installed correctly the positive terminal is to the back of the bike. Negative is close to the tank.
Thanks but I was looking for left or right. The pictures up above - one battery shows positive on the left and one pic shows positive on the right. Negative is vice versa. I think positive on the left is the correct one and was just looking for verification..... It does make a difference sometimes.... The last letter on the second model ends in "L" and I think that means left for negative

1 - 19 of 19 Posts