Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an Indian Springfield changed the "Indian" logo on their gas tank to the classic war-bonnet logo on gas tanks of the classic style Chieftains?

If so, please post a picture of your Springfield. Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a vintage, not a Springfield, but I had my tank custom painted. View attachment 593322 View attachment 593323 View attachment 593324
You tank logo looks great!

I am not a fan of the "Indian" word logo on the tank -- too bland -- I love the war bonnet logo on my 2014 "Thunder Black " Chieftain and if I purchase a newer Indian, it will have to be a Springfield in "Thunder Black"; not a Chieftain because I don't like or use the electronics and because I like the valanced front fender, I'd have to get the Chieftain classic which is overpriced.

The Springfield is the closest to meeting all the things I would want in an Indian, but I would have to change the tank logo to the War Bonnet logo I have on my 2014 Chieftain; I would also change the mustache engine guard to the full size engine guard so I can use the full size soft lowers in the winter. I also prefer my leather seat with the fringe and no passenger pillion or passenger foot-boards as I prefer a solo set-up. Basically I want the look of a 2014 Chieftain, but with a windshield instead of a faring and the new pistons, quieter lifters/rocker-arms, and rear cylinder deactivation, etc. Guess I'm one picky guy :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
It was a custom paint. I had it done at Gregory Polaris in Little Rock, Arkansas. He mixed this paint many years ago and the color matches the Indian matte red color that you see in their logos. It isn’t something you can get from Indian specifically. Rob Gregory was who did it for me. Awesome experience since he basically painted all the tins since he has extra and I rode in their after they painted all the parts and they pulled all my old black ones and installed them all in a day. I only didn’t have my bike for a day instead of the 7 weeks it took to paint them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is it easy to wash and keep clean? Do you wax it being matte Finish?

·
Silver member
4,597 Posts
Custom paint job. Changed logo slightly

That's sweet. My vision of the perfect Springfield is similar to yours. I wanted to black it out and then go with the shiny and Classic Indian red. I think that would give it an old school 1930 mixed with a 1940's look. Shiny red and black bars and such and just a bit of chrome in an occasional spot or two. Vintage looking in many ways except the hard locking bags and modern wheels and braking systems.

For now though, I am gotta wear the factory Thunder Black paint.

Kind of like this Red Horse only gloss paint.

So it comes out something like this:

1940 Indian Chief.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
When they re-did the paint, it was an option they had. I could have kept the Indian logo as well but I thought the Darkhorse was unique.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
yes its very unique, was hoping to find some decals with the "DarkHorse" on them for my hard bags... I have a 2016 model in black. From Aus so fairly limited here unless I go get it custom painted and thats expensive here.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts