Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike in last week to have the switch recall done and apparently they had a "software issue." Now I can't blame the dealer for their troubles as I was the :oops: "well that's a new one" guy. They did give me a choice of loaners to use since my bike would be down for a bit(y). They kept me updated on the status as things went along. I never did hear what the full problem was but they had my bike for a couple days till they could get a new Spedo ordered and put in. Now my buddy called today to get his recall done and they aren't doing it till the problem gets resolved. Just wondering if this is a local thing or are they having issues everywhere.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Well there have been several issues from poor tech work to custom tunes being erased.

According to some techs here and on FaceBook groups when the VCM is flashed Digital Wrench will also re-flash the ECM if the tune on the bike doesn’t match. However others have had custom tunes on their bikes and the VCM was re-flashed and the tune wasn’t affected. That means either some techs and dealers ships don’t know how to use digital wrench, or some know ways to keep the ECU from being re-flashed when the VCM is updated. So conflicting reports at best.

Another issues is some dealerships are just replacing the switch and not re-flashing the VCM.

So as always inconsistent repairs from Indian Techs representing the good bad and ugly. And this is sad and unacceptable.
I mean if they just follow the damn instructions per the recall...........

Also some VCM’s for some reason or another could have chips go bad during the flash or a corrupt flash, that’s always a possibility.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going with something was corrupt but to stop doing the recall they must have had issues with other bikes or they wouldn't just stop doing it. Think there was more to it than a flash or they wouldn't have ordered a new Speedometer. This is why I ask.
I am giving the service guys the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing. That's what they do and have been there for awhile. It is one of the few good dealerships people talk about and I would have no problem taking my bike back there.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
I am going with something was corrupt but to stop doing the recall they must have had issues with other bikes or they wouldn't just stop doing it. Think there was more to it than a flash or they wouldn't have ordered a new Speedometer. This is why I ask.
I am giving the service guys the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing. That's what they do and have been there for awhile. It is one of the few good dealerships people talk about and I would have no problem taking my bike back there.
There was a post a week ago that one of the dealers said that the new switches were bad and they were waiting on new ones. That being said no one or anyone else has mentioned this and many have successful switches replaced since. So hard to say whether it’s a Indian issue, dealer tech issue or who knows.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dropped my 2018 off Tuesday for the recall switch. It’s finished but I am out of town so have not picked it up. The service manager told me the latest software updates were downloaded and I now have a new master PIN number. The bike had the original factory tune in it so not expecting any trouble. If anything goes awry I will post it here.

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
So the flash replaced the master pin?
Ive heard the customers pin been removed But not the master.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There was a post a week ago that one of the dealers said that the new switches were bad and they were waiting on new ones. That being said no one or anyone else has mentioned this and many have successful switches replaced since.
I received a letter from corporate yesterday stating they have found a problem with the replacement sensor. The sensor may provide an inaccurate reading.

I had mine replaced a few weeks ago and during yesterdays ride this very occurrence took place. I was in 6th gear, the readout said I was in neutral, including the idiot light on the speedometer. This happened twice that I noticed but it didn’t have any effect on the motorcycle.

So corporate is recalling bikes that have had the original recall work completed.

·
Bronze member
1,988 Posts
That's wonderful :mad:. Downright embarrassing. Glad I have a second scoot to ride with all the electronic demons waiting to immobilize us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had mine done last Tuesday. They installed the switch and also reprogrammed the ECU. They told me that without the reflash the gear readout would not show the correct gear. The reflash removed my custom tune and I had to reflash my tune back again using PCV3. There were a couple of unexpected and unmentioned changes that occurred to my digital readout. A digital fuel gauge was added to the top of my screen (never had this before on my 2017 SF). I don't love it because it just appears like clutter since I already have an analog gauge. The TPMS readout was seemingly deleted from my functions which was quite annoying. But after an internet search I found out that it was not deleted, it was merely moved to the toggle switch on the right handlebar. Would have been nice if they mentioned this. But ultimately I like it because I no longer have to toggle through all the functions in order to do a quick check of tire pressure. I can get there quickly and directly with my right toggle switch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had mine done three weeks ago, the shop broke one of the bolts holding the switch in, then broke a easy out in the hole trying to remove it. They said it was too much loctite but I believe it was dissimilar metal corrosion. Either way it took three days. They did loan me a new Challenger to ride for a few days while they had mine. I have heard rumors of a second recall on the same switch and I am very nervous about taking mine back if that rumor proves to be true. BTW, they did something with the VCM because my code was reset. I looked at the ECM with my PVCX and there was no asterisk marking either tune as the tune being used. This made me nervous so I re-tuned the ECM.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Its not very clear that there is a recall for the recalled replacement switch. Many have received a letter saying that the bike needs to be taken in and the switch replaced. Some think this is just a repeat letter. But others have said their dealers told them that they were having issues with the replacement switch and new ones were coming soon. So lots of conflicting info.

The letter refers to a recent recall to replace the switch. This letter is the third one, the first one was back last year to have it cleaned, then a letter came out in march saying the switches were in and to get it done. Then this one is stating to make the rounds.

My guess is there is not a "scecond recall", instead Indian is worried and wants everyone to get these switches replaced. Now they have admitted that it is a known issue, it is a huge liability for them.

12.jpg

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
I had mine done three weeks ago, the shop broke one of the bolts holding the switch in, then broke a easy out in the hole trying to remove it. They said it was too much loctite but I believe it was dissimilar metal corrosion. Either way it took three days. They did loan me a new Challenger to ride for a few days while they had mine. I have heard rumors of a second recall on the same switch and I am very nervous about taking mine back if that rumor proves to be true. BTW, they did something with the VCM because my code was reset. I looked at the ECM with my PVCX and there was no asterisk marking either tune as the tune being used. This made me nervous so I re-tuned the ECM.

Actually most logical reason, used a impact wrench to loosen but it was set to tighten.

·
Bronze member
1,988 Posts
Its not very clear that there is a recall for the recalled replacement switch. Many have received a letter saying that the bike needs to be taken in and the switch replaced. Some think this is just a repeat letter. But others have said their dealers told them that they were having issues with the replacement switch and new ones were coming soon. So lots of conflicting info.

The letter refers to a recent recall to replace the switch. This letter is the third one, the first one was back last year to have it cleaned, then a letter came out in march saying the switches were in and to get it done. Then this one is stating to make the rounds.

My guess is there is not a "scecond recall", instead Indian is worried and wants everyone to get these switches replaced. Now they have admitted that it is a known issue, it is a huge liability for them.

View attachment 592463
My dealer just accepted my request for appt. to replace the replacement, so it is a second recall afaik.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I received a letter from corporate yesterday stating they have found a problem with the replacement sensor. The sensor may provide an inaccurate reading.

I had mine replaced a few weeks ago and during yesterdays ride this very occurrence took place. I was in 6th gear, the readout said I was in neutral, including the idiot light on the speedometer. This happened twice that I noticed but it didn’t have any effect on the motorcycle.

So corporate is recalling bikes that have had the original recall work completed.
There is talk on another thread which describes the new sensor as having the internal resistors for 1st and 6th swapped. All other resistors remain the same. This also shows up for those bikes where they didn't flash the VCM and the gear indicator then shows 6th instead of 1st and vice versa.

The faulty neutral error was caused by the proximity of the neutral and 1st resistor in value, so the thinking seems to have been that there is sufficient difference between neutral and 6th resistors that a swap would work. But that only works for the neutral/1st gear change.

From your post it seems that your bike misread the resistor for 6th in exactly the same way many bikes misread it when it was denoting 1st.

When they first announced the recall I chased up the internal circuitry of the sensor and found that the relative variation between the internal resistors was about 1% between each ascending gear. My thought was that increasing that variation to 5 or 10% would fix the problem. They chose a different path.

My bike is booked in for the sensor in a week's time. I think I'll go chase up this second recall with the dealer before they do mine with the first one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my switch replaced 2 days ago.
tried to get it done a month ago but was told they were waiting on new switches. So maybe there was a problem with the 1st replacement.
master pin was not changed but rider pin was wiped out. Not a big deal.
only have about 100 miles on it since I picked it up, no issues and hopefully don’t have any.

·
Bronze member
1,988 Posts
So, I went in for my appt. and the tech, who is a really nice guy but doesn't know s**t, looks up my VIN and says, you've already had this done. I respond, why did you tell me to come in? Crickets.....
So, I had him speak with the head wrench, whom I trust a great deal, and he says that I already have the newest switch. So, there are two possibilities; 1) When I took mine in the first time, they aleardy had the "new new" sensor, or; 2) There is only one recall. Wasted time and Indian really needs to improve their interface with the dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also received that letter in the mail. It was quite obvious to me that it was a repeat/reminder letter following up on the initial request to bring your bike in for the recall. I am quite sure if it was a new recall to replace a recalled part for the second time they would spell that out in the letter. I threw my letter in the trash and didn't think about it again until this post came along.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to my dealer today and spoke with the service manager. He jumped on the computer and started digging through the bulletins. He said there was a new bulletin as of yesterday but it didn’t make any sense to him and he wanted to take it up with his head tech, who had unfortunately left for the day. I have a very good relationship with the service team here, great guys and thorough.

Since I am still experiencing problems I sent off an email to corporate. I explained my issues and ended the composition with three questions:
1) Is the newest letter referring to the original recall or is there a recall on the replacement switch?
2) Has Polaris Indian received notice from others that a problem still exists?
3) What are the next steps to be taken?

I will post up once I get word from either my service manager or corporate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I connected with corporate today, very nice conversation. So from the horse’s mouth:
1) There is only “one“ replacement version of the Gear Position Sensor Switch.
2) There are two versions of the VCM software update flash. The first version came with the replacement switch. Some bikes started experiencing glitches with this software. I think they mentioned mainly the 2018/2019 models but don’t quote me on that statement. A second version replaced the first but not on a ”recall” basis. I believe they use the term “service bulletin“, meaning if your bike is not functioning properly with the first software update then the bike would require the newest (2nd) software update. Shame on me for not writing the exact date down but I think they said the 2nd version was released around 04/19/20. So if you had the work done after that date you good to go with the newest software.
3) The letter that some folks received was just a reminder to have the original recall work performed. It was not a recall on the recall.

That’s the scoop.

Note to the moderators: I don’t want to cross post but this conversation is playing out in the general section, can you link this through?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts