Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I do think it takes an amount of courage to jump in whole heartedly and switch brands. Many of us have been H-D guys for decades. It took me 2 hours to make up my mind after 35 years on H-D. Obviously, we could see the quality in the Spirit Lake Indians.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do think it takes an amount of courage to jump in whole heartedly and switch brands. Many of us have been H-D guys for decades. It took me 2 hours to make up my mind after 35 years on H-D.
I actually left the harley dealership with a deal in hand for a 2015 Dyna Gluide and rode across the street just to check and see I told (myself) the wife. 3 hours later and the life long HD rider had switched brands. Will I ever go back probably not. That's not because I no longer love them, it's just I have a 13 Highball and a 14 Vintage, and at 53 I am getting long in the tooth. Time to pick the toys I plan to grow old with and stop buying and start paying off, I kind of did the same thing with vehicles, but probably got one more trade left in me there......

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When I purchased my Chieftain, I looked and rode each bagger/touring bike out there. I set up a grading system. The rice burners didn't do bad but I did that twice in my life and that was enough. I have owned HDs for more years than I care to admit and was always concerned about the seeing other HD with parts vibrating off. I liked everything about the Victory line except the looks. When I ran the grading points on the Indian line... it did pretty good except for confidence factor. I had to use a sliding scale with the Victory line for the Indian. Between the final grade plus 5 years unlimited...it sold me.
This will probably be my last bike....because at my age...I would have to go 3 wheels next and I am simply not interested. I have ridden and loved HD since my first one. That will never change. I needed a change and needed some decent technology.
I don't know if we are truly special but we sure as hell are ballsy as hell buying a newly designed bike, with a new engine, and no 'RECENT' history of quality.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I liked my Harley, I looked at the new Harleys I was impressed with the GPS and the new bags the display on the Harley is much better. But the ride the chrome and engineering and the different look of the Indian won me over. All the Harley's look alike and don't stand out anymore, the Indian really stands out and I love it. My opinion is I made the right choice and glad I did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Harley lost me as a customer due to a $5400.00 engine failure which they know about and would not do a thing. Yes the bike was out of warranty but only had 5700 miles. Was not looking for a free repair which I told the Harley Motor Company....would have been happy with $1000.00, but nothing. I will never own another Harley.

Love my Chieftain and am not looking back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So true about the Harley experience. I rode Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, then 2005 bought the Road King Custom, traded it in 09 for the Ultra. Being on the top side of 60, I really wasn't wanting to get another bike. But when I sat on the RM that day, I just knew what was going to happen, I tell everybody if you do not want to spend any money... Do Not Sit on an Indian, & definitely do not take one for a ride. Everything DrZ has said went through my mind after that day. It was an opportunity, if I hadn't of jumped over, I would of always been wondering if I should have & what it would of been like, I might of just purchased it outright with no trade if I had a big enough space for three bikes, but I don't want to get rid of the ES500 & I just had to have that Indian, so the Ultra went. So we will all go forward & hopefully these machines will be every bit as good as they look & we want them to be!!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
but only a somebody can ride an Indian!
CONGRATS TO US ALL!!!
My family has a long tradition with HD Motor Company.
My Grandpa raced and hill climbed on them.
My Daddy was a WLA mechanic in WWII.
I have three sons that are all Harley riders.

I flipped my winged bar and shield patch on my Colors in the mid-70's in a statement of FTF.
It was a statement of " I love MY Harley, not Harley Davidson Motor Company".

The early 90's bore witness to my first departure.
Back then, they had folks waiting 6 mo. on a build list for their HD to be built.
I had to have a new bike and HD would not sell me one that I could roll off the lot with...right then.
I bought a Honda GoldWing and my family and Club damn near dis-owned me over that.

In 1995 I bought and rode off the HD lot on a Road King.....a fuel injected EVO Road King.
I was able to ride off the lot that morning on that bike because no one wanted a fuel injected Road King.
I kept that bike for nearly 20 years and 300,000 miles.

Three years ago I had a temperature sensor go tits up on my Road King.
I took it to New Orleans Harley Davidson who told me that they no longer worked on bikes that were 10 years or older.
That was it.

They had officially turned their back to me.
God forgives, I don't.

Fixed MY Harley and soldiered on, but I never forgot or forgave.

My friends, family, and Brothers are loved, but NOT because they ride a Harley.
I have responded in kind by turning my back to Harley Davidson Motor Company.

It's funny how things happen.
This has been the best thing that has happened to me.

My Indian has run every HD into the ground that I have come across out on the road.
I have shown them to their rightful place....looking at my tail light.
I understand why that Indian is laughing on that patch now.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Morning Folks,
I have worked on and ridden Harleys since 1972 and have always thought they were some of the best bikes in the world. I owned and rode my 1st bike, a 1946 Knucklehead that went through numerous versions over time, for 25 years; I still own and ride a Knucklehead bobber that I built with my students several years ago. All but one of the H-Ds I've owned were used machines or basket-cases that I built myself. The only new Harley I ever bought was an "09 Street Glide, which was an excellent motorcycle, that I traded on Chieftain #873. I've always done my own work so I can't comment much on H-D dealers; they were never interested in working on the old iron I rode anyway. I will say that folks have been making pretty much the same complaints about the Motor Company and it's dealers as long as I've been riding.

Polaris' decision to get into the street bike market with an American cruiser was pretty exciting and I bought a 1999 V92C. It wasn't exactly new as it was an early production model that had been part of the demonstrator fleet that Victory had toured around the country. It had 1,200 miles on it but was substantially discounted and came with a full warranty. It was a beautiful bike in black and red with gold stripping. When its tranny blew, which happened with some of the early Victorys, I traded it on a yellow and black 2002 V92C which was a great machine; I put over 50,000 miles on it, about half hauling a Ural sidecar, before trading it on the '09 FLHX. All of my dealings with Victory/Polaris were satisfactory, though honestly, with the exception of the transmission failure, the Victorys were trouble-free and very low maintenance. I only traded on the FLHX because I wanted a fairing, hardbags, cruise-control, and ABS and didn't really care for the styling of the post-V92C Vics.

I really had no compelling reason to get rid of the Street Glide except that I wanted to experience Polaris' reinvention of the grand old Indian marque. My experience with Victory gave me confidence that Polaris would do it right, and when I saw photos of the new Chief line and that Indian had a 5-year warranty, I decided to make the leap. Like many of you here I am on the north side of 60, and motorcycles have been the abiding passion of my life. I had a sense that Polaris' relaunch of Indian was making motorcycle history and I wanted to be part of it. So far I've had no regrets. The Chieftain is a beautiful motorcycle that does everything I ask of it well; I'm having a great time.
--- Randall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Everything you said is valid for France too.
Harley dealers will lose a lot of customers with their attitude.
Many riders sell their Harley for Indian.
I just hope we will not be disappointed.

Reactions: HINK

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,808 Posts
I always loved the looks of the Harley Ultra but could never pull the trigger on one. I am 6'4" and was way too cramped on the Harley. I know there are some big boys out there that ride Harleys but I didn't want to spend that kind of money then add a bunch more to make it somewhat comfortable. Now with the 103s you finally got "some" power but even then I was never really impressed, once again you need to go out and spend a bunch of money to wake it up. The wind management was so so and although it looked good I would definitely would not want built in GPS. Something else to break and worry about in the rain. I got my Garmin Zumo for those tasks and can use it in both my car and my bike. You can also plan your route on the computer then transfer it out to the Zumo which is great for a long trip. For me the big thing for a touring bike is TORQUE. Torque is what spoiled me on my Kawi. I bought a 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic brand new and after a couple of years changed out the exhaust, intake and put a Power Commander in there and had a custom dyno tune done. She pulls about a 130 lbs of torque at the wheel and even 100 lbs at 1700 rpms! IT is a monster and always puts a smile on my face when I twist the throttle.

I had pretty much decided my next bike would be a Victory Cross Country Tour but was very disappointed on the test rides. I was very comfortable on them and while they have some pretty good top end power there is nothing down low. Not to disrespect those out there that had the Victorys but with the stock exhaust a twist of the throttle sounded to me like an old AMF golf cart until you finally got up into its power band.

Then the new Indians came along. I loved the Chieftain when I first did a demo ride last year. A little cramped but not bad. I told the Indian guys at the demo you need a heal shifter, passenger floorboards and a tour pack and I would be ready to talk. This year the RM came along and after one test ride I knew exactly what I wanted. This tour bike is about a hundred pounds heavier than my Vulcan but handles much better and feels lighter to the touch going down the road. I'm very impressed with the classic looks and performance of this bike and I don' t even feel cramped at all. Even stock with stage 1 exhaust it has very respectable torque and I know there is plenty more to tap if I decide to go that way latter on. There is no doubt I plan to have this bike for a very long time. Dean E

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have several old Harleys (35, 52, and 54), and would always add another. But now I have a CHieftain, and soon to have a Scout. I would buy a inline 4 if they make one too. I still want another Evolution H-D too.....and a Slingshot, and I just picked up a 1979 Honda CB650 that someone gave me today.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,867 Posts
Anyone can ride a Harley
But not everyone knows HOW to. Those pigs can do a lot more than most know how. Will it be true with Indian? With more engine and someone that knows how to ride, there could be some good fun out there again. I'm too old now but I bet this new generation Indian night be capable of more than most will ever know as well. My days of opening the eyes of hot shot BMW riders is long gone bit anyone out there had fun with any new canyon carvers on your great big(slow:)) Indian?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
But not everyone knows HOW to. Those pigs can do a lot more than most know how. Will it be true with Indian? With more engine and someone that knows how to ride, there could be some good fun out there again. I'm too old now but I bet this new generation Indian night be capable of more than most will ever know as well. My days of opening the eyes of hot shot BMW riders is long gone bit anyone out there had fun with any new canyon carvers on your great big(slow:)) Indian?
Hey injuncowboy,

That would be me you are talking about. lol
I'm NOT a canyon carver but I have had my Indian heeled over to where other bikes would have been making sparks and digging in for the big upset. So ya ain't likely to see me trying to pin they ears back on the twisties.

I like to catch em from behind, out on the freeway.
All ya got to do is pull up next to one of them and it's on.
That's where that big motor and gearbox get em every time.
Ya just twist it up and when that TS111 hits the torque curve it pulls like a rocket on a roller skate.

It is the most fun motorcycle that I've ever owned.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They don't have to be mutually-exclusive. There's a 2014 HD Ultra Limited and a new 2015 Indian Chief Vintage in my garage, and room enough for both in my heart too.

Steve

Reactions: IMARIDER
1 - 20 of 92 Posts