Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Why? We see how well the Harley 750 sold lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So my girl could buy Indians instead of ducatis...

Hey, now.. Let's be fair here, the HD750 sells so well not because of its size.. its such a success because it's an overpriced machine with Chinese knockoff level fit and finish that is out performed in every way by every other make. Recipe for success.

In all seriousness if Indian did a standard bike in its normal execution of quality and was comparable in weight and size to other bikes in that displacement, I know of a few more that would own Indians, instead of what they do own.

Then there is the tierd licensing systems abroad that would enjoy a smaller Indian.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Buy a scout and throw on a tank machine flat track kit on it. Boom.

Lol, a very cheap and practical way to get kinda "close" to get whay they want!
obviously you do realize the Scout is almost a 600lb tank,
And is not cheap even before you Chuck another what, 2k of parts at it more if someone else did the work?
Don't get me wrong I like your thinking, but......
A $6-8k 4-500# 750cc would be a good bike to have in the mix. Good for many riders of all kinds and cheaper to insure, lighter to handle.. frankly I wish other companies would offer smaller bikes. There is a place for them.. especially now days where you can get the same performance from half the CCs you could just 10 years ago. I think many premium brands fail to see a need for a bike like this and ironically, are always the ones in danger and saying "how do we get more people into riding" that don't offer them..
But it only has a single front disk....:eek:
OK,, that was good.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The street 750 was a piece of sh*t, and that is why it did not sell. Hopefully Indian can do it better. A lightweight 750 would be the bees knees.
Overall dimensions and weight wouldn’t be much smaller than the ftr. Unless they went with a whole aluminum frame. It would then just feel under powered. I don’t think I’ve seen a single post saying “the ftr just has too much power” nor do I see Indian shelling out to make a very light frame

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Lol, a very cheap and practical way to get kinda "close" to get whay they want!
obviously you do realize the Scout is almost a 600lb tank,
And is not cheap even before you Chuck another what, 2k of parts at it more if someone else did the work?
Don't get me wrong I like your thinking, but......
A $6-8k 4-500# 750cc would be a good bike to have in the mix. Good for many riders of all kinds and cheaper to insure, lighter to handle.. frankly I wish other companies would offer smaller bikes. There is a place for them.. especially now days where you can get the same performance from half the CCs you could just 10 years ago. I think many premium brands fail to see a need for a bike like this and ironically, are always the ones in danger and saying "how do we get more people into riding" that don't offer them..

OK,, that was good.....
I think it would be tough to make a 750 or 500 in the US without it being a loss leader.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It doesn’t weigh slightly less than a small car while claiming to be more sport oriented than the other bikes in its line up ...

So kinda funny. But missed it by that much.

That’s an awfully small car...

Scout dry weight = 558
Sport Glide dry weight = 670
Not a huge difference.
I used to own a Sport Glide. Sold it to free up space. I am seriously considering another one. For my purposes, and given how I rode it, it served well. No real complaints, including the brakes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Scout is not touted as a good handling performance oriented bike. Apples to oranges.

And dry weight is like measuring crank hp

Look up the wet weight of the two.

The sport glide was for some one who wanted a street glide for trips. But popped off the bags and looked like a dyna for bar hopping, all while having a smaller engine. It’s a mix of two types bikes, which generally makes it mediocre. Kinda like the ftr.

If that’s what you’re into sure. But it’s one of the lower end performing models hd makes.

Although if that’s the type of bike you’re into. Why would you want a street ftr?

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
That’s an awfully small car...

Scout dry weight = 558
Sport Glide dry weight = 670
Not a huge difference.
I used to own a Sport Glide. Sold it to free up space. I am seriously considering another one. For my purposes, and given how I rode it, it served well. No real complaints, including the brakes.
Scout is not touted as a good handling performance oriented bike. Apples to oranges.

And dry weight is like measuring crank hp

Look up the wet weight of the two.

The sport glide was for some one who wanted a street glide for trips. But popped off the bags and looked like a dyna for bar hopping, all while having a smaller engine. It’s a mix of two types bikes, which generally makes it mediocre. Kinda like the ftr.

If that’s what you’re into sure. But it’s one of the lower end performing models hd makes.

Although if that’s the type of bike you’re into. Why would you want a street ftr?

As a Scout owner that happens to make a habit of dragging part's I would add to this convo these facts. the scouts handle amazingly well especially with proper spring and damping. The body posture and lean angle are the biggest limiting factor to what its capable of.
The brakes are literally the definition of "adequate" in my experience.
But now with the big bore, I'd like some more stable brakes.. seems to be Lil easier to get hot and fade now.
I'm 210 geared my Scout is 567 full.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I think it would be tough to make a 750 or 500 in the US without it being a loss leader.

I cant agree or disagree. As it speculation on both ends. To make this happen, I can't be sure I would be pissed if it was made abroad to keep it priced right and profitable. other premium brands outsource. Not all triumphs are English, nor ducatis Italian and no Royal Enfields English or all BMW's German.....obviously I'd much prefer to keep things domestic and I'm aware I could get shot around here for entertaining this but if it lived up to the quality standards of Indian like the others live up to their respective brands quality and is a way to get more sales and money into our domestic brands while getting more riding I'm willing to see what can be Made of filling a growing niche..

Blind fold on. Said my last rights.. I'm prepared for the firing line.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I cant agree or disagree. As it speculation on both ends. To make this happen, I can't be sure I would be pissed if it was made abroad to keep it priced right and profitable. other premium brands outsource. Not all triumphs are English, nor ducatis Italian and no Royal Enfields English or all BMW's German.....obviously I'd much prefer to keep things domestic and I'm aware I could get shot around here for entertaining this but if it lived up to the quality standards of Indian like the others live up to their respective brands quality and is a way to get more sales and money into our domestic brands while getting more riding I'm willing to see what can be Made of filling a growing niche..

Blind fold on. Said my last rights.. I'm prepared for the firing line.
Polaris gets a free pass because most people don’t know where their products are made

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Vendor
1,705 Posts

Ever hear of the Ducati Scrambler 800? Smaller bikes can be done right. The Scrambler outsells all the other Ducati’s by a wide margin, and is far from a loss leader. It just takes the right bike.

·
Vendor
1,705 Posts
Overall dimensions and weight wouldn’t be much smaller than the ftr. Unless they went with a whole aluminum frame. It would then just feel under powered. I don’t think I’ve seen a single post saying “the ftr just has too much power” nor do I see Indian shelling out to make a very light frame

None of that makes any sense. So it is impossible to build a bike lighter than the 500 pound FTR? You would have to use an aluminum frame? Seriously, go ride a 360 pound Ducati Scrambler 800 with 60 HP or a 400 pound KTM 690 Duke and tell me that a lightweight bike is no fun. Not everyone wants an overpriced, heavy street tracker posing as a scrambler.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts