Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
I have never been much of a windshield guy but this riding season has been the ‘buggiest’ one I’ve ever experienced. I’m in Maine, so bugs come with the territory. But this season I’ve been pelted to a degree and extent that just boggles the mind. It’s to the point that my goggles and jacket are encrusted after a ride so I’m seeking a windshield that will deflect the brunt of these winged bastards off of me. I’m wondering if anyone has any updated thoughts to share in-regards to a recommended windshield for the Scout that might help in this regard. Obviously, air management is a tricky business and what’s optimum for one might be a terrible choice for someone else but I’d be interested to hear what may have worked for you.

My specs:

• 2018 Scout Sixty
• 5’11” & 240 lbs
• Half helmet & goggles
• Standard bars and pegs
• 1920’s solo seat which places me up a few inches from stock
• Most riding is on backroads at 50-70 MPH

Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My experience with my Scout 60 was mixed with the factory windshield, until I made my own lower air deflectors, then it was stable with no buffeting well past 80 mph. I posted a thread at the time, if you search for it, it will be faster than me trying to find pictures. All in I had $75 in the project and they worked great.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I managed to find an older pic, just before I traded it on my Springfield, you can see the lower air deflectors in place.
IMG_4279.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m curious what goggle half helmet you running. I recently switched to the bell recon with goggles and love that combo. I just throw it up for city riding and pull out sunglasses. But then also pull goggles for highway.

Hello, all!
I have never been much of a windshield guy but this riding season has been the ‘buggiest’ one I’ve ever experienced. I’m in Maine, so bugs come with the territory. But this season I’ve been pelted to a degree and extent that just boggles the mind. It’s to the point that my goggles and jacket are encrusted after a ride so I’m seeking a windshield that will deflect the brunt of these winged bastards off of me. I’m wondering if anyone has any updated thoughts to share in-regards to a recommended windshield for the Scout that might help in this regard. Obviously, air management is a tricky business and what’s optimum for one might be a terrible choice for someone else but I’d be interested to hear what may have worked for you.

My specs:

• 2018 Scout Sixty
• 5’11” & 240 lbs
• Half helmet & goggles
• Standard bars and pegs

Thoughts appreciated!
n the

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really dislike windshields however I want to be able to ride faster than 55 mph without feeling like I'm about to get blown off my bike. I also prefer a half helmet which means getting zinged in the face with bugs.

I just ordered the memphis shades Rio Grande for my Scout. I dont have it yet so I cant really review.

Hubs and I did figure out something interesting though. When measuring for a windshield you can't really go by standing height. Hubs is 5'8" and I'm almost 5'4" but our height difference is all in the legs. When measuring up from the headlight to nose I need a 19" windshield while he only needs a 17". This made no sense to me at 1st so we tried sitting in identical chairs and sure enough I was taller than him sitting. We then lined up our bodies by the top of our pelvis and again I was taller. This all stemmed from my great confusion watching YouTube videos of guys 6' and taller saying that a 13" windshield was pushing the air over their helmets. It made no sense when comparing to the typical measuring standards.

Anyway that was a long rant I'll let you know how the Rio Grande works as soon as I get it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had the Indian medium sized one and it was very nice for a windshield. I would rather ride without one so I sold it. Easy on and off and high quality.

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really dislike windshields however I want to be able to ride faster than 55 mph without feeling like I'm about to get blown off my bike. I also prefer a half helmet which means getting zinged in the face with bugs.

I just ordered the memphis shades Rio Grande for my Scout. I dont have it yet so I cant really review.

Hubs and I did figure out something interesting though. When measuring for a windshield you can't really go by standing height. Hubs is 5'8" and I'm almost 5'4" but our height difference is all in the legs. When measuring up from the headlight to nose I need a 19" windshield while he only needs a 17". This made no sense to me at 1st so we tried sitting in identical chairs and sure enough I was taller than him sitting. We then lined up our bodies by the top of our pelvis and again I was taller. This all stemmed from my great confusion watching YouTube videos of guys 6' and taller saying that a 13" windshield was pushing the air over their helmets. It made no sense when comparing to the typical measuring standards.

Anyway that was a long rant I'll let you know how the Rio Grande works as soon as I get it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I’d love to hear about it and hope it works for you. And that height issue makes perfect sense to me. I’m 5’11” but only have a stumpy little 29” inseam as I’m all torso

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Memphis shades Bullet fairing and i love it...While it stops the win hitting the chest, it also lets you feel the air on your face..
That’s a great looking shield. I think my concern might be if all those bugs get redirected from my chest to my mug ;)

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m curious what goggle half helmet you running. I recently switched to the bell recon with goggles and love that combo. I just throw it up for city riding and pull out sunglasses. But then also pull goggles for highway.

n the
My lid is a WSB SC101. One if the lightest and smallest half-helmets out there, yet still DOT approved. Very comfy!

Attachments

·
Rider
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the Indian medium sized one and it was very nice for a windshield. I would rather ride without one so I sold it. Easy on and off and high quality.
That’s good to hear. I’ve read some not so positive reviews on that and it’s nice to see that it does work for certain riders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello, all!

My specs:

• 2018 Scout Sixty
• 5’11” & 240 lbs
• Half helmet & goggles
• Standard bars and pegs

Thoughts appreciated!
You must look into windshields from Freedom for Scout best by far, fits with Indian hardware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts