Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering with the emphasis on changing names of sports teams that reflect anything to do with Indian is there
discussion of changing the Indian name. My hope is not as I am part Indian and I see the representation of the Indian heritage
and culture as being positive.

·
Bronze member
2,003 Posts
Was just last week when I was thinking, what if Hendee went with the name American instead.
I wondered if that would be better.

Then I tried thinking of what would the motorcycle model names be. Bad idea.

President, not Chief.

Although maybe there still could’ve been a Scout.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just wondering with the emphasis on changing names of sports teams that reflect anything to do with Indian is there
discussion of changing the Indian name. My hope is not as I am part Indian and I see the representation of the Indian heritage
and culture as being positive.
If you are asking if "anyone out there" is promoting this idea, then, "Yes", I've seen a Facebook post circulating calling for this end to caucasian-founded and/or run companies not being allowed to continue making $ off the use of minority images, etc.... I guess we'll have to wait and see if this gains any traction with Polaris. I sure hope the Native American community weighs in about it as supportively as they have apparently done in the past.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure when or if this will ever end. But was curious.
What about "black" , as in black painted bikes. I find the name of that color to be offensive. Maybe the color could be called BLM instead of just black?
I have a helmet with a wonderful art work of an Indian Chief, wolf and eagle on it. Been complimented for it even by the Indian community

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had nothing but positive comments from First Nations people, I have ridden through reservation, gassing up at FN gas stations, with no issues or negative comments. FN Vets I served with always like my photos and believe me if they didn't they would not hesitate to tell me they are offended. 3 are or were Chiefs of there Tribes. So I think if it is an issue or becomes one it will be from the Social Justice Warriors. That said the kids love the Head badge on the front. So if it does become a big issue, do we remove the logos,badges and head badges?. If so does Polaris supply us with an alternative?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's my understanding that the term "Indian" is not what the Native Americans find offensive (I may be wrong there...so i cant swear by it)...but the term "*******"...well that's another story. So hopefully the Indian Nations are not offended by the motorcycle branding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If this dumbassery actually becomes a thing it won't be because real American Indians push for it. It'll be because leftist social justice warriors hijack the idea to make themselves feel less.. privileged..

My Grandmother was Choctaw. I like to think she'd love this Indian scooter I ride.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I have had nothing but positive comments from First Nations people, I have ridden through reservation, gassing up at FN gas stations, with no issues or negative comments. FN Vets I served with always like my photos and believe me if they didn't they would not hesitate to tell me they are offended. 3 are or were Chiefs of there Tribes. So I think if it is an issue or becomes one it will be from the Social Justice Warriors. That said the kids love the Head badge on the front. So if it does become a big issue, do we remove the logos,badges and head badges?. If so does Polaris supply us with an alternative?
I don't care what the SJW's want. I'm not removing anything from my bike as that is a violation of my rights of free expression. I bought it, it's mine and it is staying as is and in my mind, there is no alternative. The country has gone plumb crazy.

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
The county that I live in has two Indian reservations. The native Americans have been nothing but positive about our Indian motorcycles.

As long as the name is respectful and not derogatory or racist there is no issue.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
You never know... UND (University of North Dakota) moved up to DIV 1 and they were called the Fighting Sioux... some of the tribes said OK and some said no... the ones that said no were mostly not from around there... anyway the NCAA wouldn't let them move up if they didn't change their mascot... hello... Fighting Hawks... if Indian takes a knee and capitulates... my bike goes up for sale

1 - 20 of 387 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.