Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am potentially in the market for a new FTR, and was just curious... has anyone bought recently? What was the process like? Were they more willing to deal with you?

For what it’s worth, I’m looking at a Race Replica.

Thanks in advance!

·
Rider
1,283 Posts
Hey everyone! I am potentially in the market for a new FTR, and was just curious... has anyone bought recently? What was the process like? Were they more willing to deal with you?

For what it’s worth, I’m looking at a Race Replica.

Thanks in advance!
Mr. Pirsig would be proud...I would check out several dealerships and be patient, let them come to you.

·
Rider
1,295 Posts
It should be a buyers market I would imagine, especially with the first batch of models still awaiting buyers. My dealership MSR which is currently closed fitted a few extras and changed the tank panels out on a couple to make them ‘different’ and were not charging much if anything above RRP to get them shifted and this was before this pandemic malarkey kicked off. Mind you don’t get trampled in the stampede to sell you one, you have the higher ground on this!

·
Rider
1,170 Posts
I just got what I believe is a good deal on an ftr race replica. Was planning on buying from a dealer out of town after the local dealer wouldn’t come close in price. Found a dealer about an hour away from me and they made an offer I couldn’t refuse. So put the deposit. The actual price of the bike was actually $1500 higher with the deal I agreed to but they offered $3000 more on the trade in so out the door price ended up being less.
Just call around to different dealers see what they’re offering.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We currently have one of each in stock and with the 1500(S/RR) and 2000(Base) in customer cash and 500 in free accessories its a pretty good time to buy if you can snag one before the end of the month when promotions tend to change.

·
Rider
1,295 Posts
Commander Cody is selling his RR on the forum with a recent price drop of $2000 due to medical reasons. It stands at $12000 with only 1k miles on. Worth a punt I reckon perhaps?

·
Bronze member
1,199 Posts
With the stagnant market and surplus of used motorcycles, it should be a buyers market. If you're not against a preowned bike you'll save even more. Consider an extended warranty which you might also neqotiate by calling several dealers. Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all of the replies! that’s a great deal on CC’s RR, however I have my heart set on new... I’ve wanted an Indian since the Gilroy bikes, and plan on keeping this one for a long, long time!

as far as those that say 10% off MSRP, that’s where i’m getting hung up; is the MSRP $16.9 or 15.5? is 15.5 the new MSRP being as how we’re moving into 2021 and are still sitting on 2019s?

also, do 2020 FTRs even exist?

·
Silver member
5,463 Posts
also, do 2020 FTRs even exist?
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Apparently they still have many left from last years' run. I would expect they skip 2020 and maybe have fresh colors and options for 2021 (FTR1200SP?? 150hp, Öhlins F/R, Brembo M50).

Or discontinue the FTR, and have a more basic "standard" model with the SRT1200...

Who knows...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Apparently they still have many left from last years' run. I would expect they skip 2020 and maybe have fresh colors and options for 2021 (FTR1200SP?? 150hp, Öhlins F/R, Brembo M50).

Or discontinue the FTR, and have a more basic "standard" model with the SRT1200...

Who knows...
just out of curiosity, is that FTR1200SP based in any reality, or just speculation? it’s already heavy, and my assumption was always they priced it too high, and wouldn’t focus on making a pricier version. i always thought an FTR750 was the next logical progression...

·
Silver member
5,463 Posts
Just spitballing, pure speculation. What I am suggesting doesn't have to be any heavier btw. But yes, a lighter, 750cc could be interesting too. But only if is significanty lighter, like 400lbs curb weight. If it's closer to 450lbs it'd be too much imho.

Remember, the Yam MT09 -an excellent sports-naked- has a wet weight of 425lbs...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just spitballing, pure speculation. What I am suggesting doesn't have to be any heavier btw. But yes, a lighter, 750cc could be interesting too. But only if is significanty lighter, like 400lbs curb weight. If it's closer to 450lbs it'd be too much imho.

Remember, the Yam MT09 -an excellent sports-naked- has a wet weight of 425lbs...
understood that wasn’t implied, but taking an already finicky high strung motor up 25% in horsepower is going to add either some weight or a lot of costs, two things i don’t think the FTR could afford an ounce of. would be bad ass though, and who would ever complain about ohlins?

and yes, i personally wouldn’t be interested in a 750 (i’m getting older and stringing up little motors all the time has lost its appeal), but i think they’d knock it out of the park with the younger crowds with a 750.

·
Silver member
5,463 Posts
but taking an already finicky high strung motor up 25% in horsepower is going to add either some weight or a lot of costs, two things i don’t think the FTR could afford an ounce of. would be bad ass though, and who would ever complain about ohlins?
High strung by which standards? Ducati Monster or Multistrada 1200: 150+hp, KTM 1290: 170+hp and even a BMW R1250 has 136hp nowadays. Not saying the FTR is underpowered -it is not-, but if you want to sell, numbers count.

A bigger airbox and different cams don't have to add weight imho... and I believe another 20hp shouldn't be that hard to find if you look at how flat the hp curve is after 7krpm.... @ferraiolo1 's bike has around 123hp at the rear wheel which is already close to 140 at the crank...

IRT to cost, an FTR1200SP should cost what an RR costs at the moment. Although I love my RR and I was willing to pay for it, a different color and that Akra do not justify the extra 1500 bucks...

·
Rider
1,283 Posts
^^ but what price for happiness? Seems to me @Max Kool you are a person who has an excellent handle of molding your environment to suit your needs. There has to be some fruit for one's labor, my vote is if the paint and mufflers hit the spot then a few extra bucks was worth it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts