Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and Gals,
I just thought I would see if there were and paratrooper in here. I served in the 505th PIR in the 82nd Airborne Div. from 1988-1992.

AATW !!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,029 Posts
I served in C Company 2/325, 82d Airborne from 1973-75. Served my last 12 years in the 160th SOAR (A) and retired in 1999 after 26 years. Airborne All The Way!

·
Silver member
3,342 Posts
I was in Co. C (ABN) 4th Bn 23rd Inf 172nd Lt Inf Bde in Alaska (78-80), then down to Co. D (CSC) 1st Bn 325th Airborne Infantry. 11B type.

·
Rider
726 Posts
Yep, sort of - Australian Army. Was trained in USA and UK as a Parachute Rigger and came back to run our rigging school. Then trained as a Parachute Jump Instructor and trained a load of paratroopers to jump. Also did civvie skydiving and instructing for awhile. About 1,050 jumps all in all.
Loved it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello there!!! Here a Spanish Army paratrooper. I attended my paratrooper course in 1987. My last jump was with the VIthParatrooper Brigade in 1998. Now enjoying my last year in active duty as BG in Tenerife (Canary Islands). My Indie is parked in the garaje because of the lock out. Waiting for the situation to change and ride again in these so beautiful Islands.

·
Bronze member
1,705 Posts
While I have the upmost respect for paratroopers I never understood why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. thinking.gif

·
Silver member
3,342 Posts
While I have the upmost respect for paratroopers I never understood why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. View attachment 582850
We got $55.00 extra a month for hazardous pay. Beer ain’t gonna pay for itself you know.

·
Bronze member
4,471 Posts
I'm not military but started skydiving in my younger years. Then I got knocked off my motorbike and injured a knee that meant no more jumping.

While I have the upmost respect for paratroopers I never understood why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. View attachment 582850
We jumped from a common skydiving plane called a Norseman. It was good for skydivers because its boxy fusilage meant easy movement inside. However, they also had a reputation for the engines catching fire. So ironically it was not quite so 'perfectly good' after all. :)

·
Bronze member
2,373 Posts
SF, '79 to '85. When I did my hospital rotations at Fort Benning the Jump School would let us do the Wednesday "night" jumps if you gave them a copy of your hazardous duty orders. The black hats let us jump any aircraft, any chute. We also got to lead the way. Good times.

·
Rider
1,004 Posts
I'm not military but started skydiving in my younger years. Then I got knocked off my motorbike and injured a knee that meant no more jumping.

We jumped from a common skydiving plane called a Norseman. It was good for skydivers because its boxy fusilage meant easy movement inside. However, they also had a reputation for the engines catching fire. So ironically it was not quite so 'perfectly good' after all. :)

·
Bronze member
2,373 Posts
I was the #1 jumper on 4 of my jump school jumps. Don't think I ever got to be #1 ever again. Awesome to be looking out the door before getting to the DZ.
Funniest thing I saw was the one female that froze in the door and the black hat put his size 11 in her butt. When I hit the DZ she was complaining about her butt being sore so I told her about it. Then we both laughed.

Reactions: clif02

·
Bronze member
1,127 Posts
About 40 years since jump training. Was a really miserable time . Ground trading week we used worn out straw burst judo mats and home made shop contractions suspended in old hangar. Ropes pulleys and wires and instructors screaming advice. Weather bad ,strong winds over cast. waiting forever ,zero rations , derelict accommodation on old war disused airstrip Miles from anywhere. Jump week Finally old cargo plane turned up . More waiting after pilot recouperated. Wind a few knots above the Let’s say suggested safe limit. No option to chicken out lol. Got Several drops 5k to 800 foot wind on landing made harness crush my balls and drag me good 100 yards each time. Trying to get on feet big struggle run past the wind filled chute with all the eqpt on after lbeing winded each landing. And jump on chute to collapse it. Phew. Lost my helmet on last jump as I exited aircraft. Equipment was older than me, still my fault. I must have missed a strap and my check off partner. Did the crawl out onto wing , I fell for the thumbs up from the JI , replied with similar and did a nice spin off the wing. Ha ha ha. I Paid more attention to then sitting and roll out exits. Remember Plane banked on one drop and one guy tripped and fell out the door past the jump instructor. Whoops .good job we were all static line. Squad of 20 six injured and piled into old pick up truck 40 miles to medical post. One broke leg 3 places had to be cut down from hangar. I admit I aimed for windsock But each time blown past the dz. toggles toggles I heard from below . Sort of fun watching the others crash land before and after me. Then watch the wind rub it in. Convinced myself it was Great ....pack ít úp ánd walk back to Dz and go again. Worst part was the anti climax long road back to base at 40mph in a Converted transport cattle truck. Happy days lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts