Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on a Honda Rebel, outgrew it in three weeks. I’ve been riding a sportster for about 8 months and while I do love the nimbleness, I am thinking of something bigger and more comfy. Would like to hear about your experience with the Chief. Thanks!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I started on a Honda Rebel, outgrew it in three weeks. I’ve been riding a sportster for about 8 months and while I do love the nimbleness, I am thinking of something bigger and more comfy. Would like to hear about your experience with the Chief. Thanks!!
I started on a Yamaha Virago 535 and outgrew it quickly. Suffered for 3 mos. LOL Then I bought the 2016 Scout and loved it. I rode it for four years and still ride it occasionally.

Our dealer got a used 2018 Springfield Dark Horse in last year and I had been drooling over them since 2017. I had to get it. I love my new ride for long distance. I had around 68,000 miles on my Scout when I bought the Springfield. I was happy with it on longer trips. I just kept hearing how the bigger bikes were better for distance riding. I think, for me, they were right. The seat is much more comfortable, the cruise control is wonderful, and more storage in the saddlebags and back fender rack is SO worth it.

I have really enjoyed having a bigger bike. There is a learning curve with when to shift in the mountains, etc. It just was not the same as my Scout. I think I enjoyed my Scout on the mountain roads better, but the Springfield was nibble enough to make it enjoyable. I had no issues. I think I've just been riding my Scout longer so it was easier to compare the two differences and be happier with what I knew well. The longer I ride my Springfield, I'm anticipating it getting better.

The ONE con is that I cannot back it up. I'm not quite 5' 2 so there is no leverage for me to back it up. It gets frustrating at times. Also my husband made me a grab bar to use on my kickstand since I can't reach it. One day I'll get the airride suspension system to help with those issues.

So I don't have a Dark Horse Chief, but those two bikes are similar, and that's my experience so far. I can't choose between the two bikes, so I still have them both. :)

Reactions: BHlvr
1 - 2 of 2 Posts