Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Rider
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than a potential November reveal date, I’ve hear almost nil about this upcoming new model. No dealer scuttlebutt, no spy photos, nada. Seems we’d be getting at least a few well-timed ‘leaks’ by now to generate some interest.

Perhaps after the Challenger hubbub dies down, the games will begin...

·
Silver member
5,246 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they pull the FTR street and don't produce it for awhile. The FTR is not selling well and most dealers can't even recover the 30K it cost them to install the mandatory display due to poor sales. I think they missed the window on that bike with the delays in releasing it...

·
Bronze member
5,716 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they pull the FTR street and don't produce it for awhile. The FTR is not selling well and most dealers can't even recover the 30K it cost them to install the mandatory display due to poor sales. I think they missed the window on that bike with the delays in releasing it...

I agree, but they should have released the street first or adventure FTR because their is already a customer base for those types of bikes, the FTR 1200 had no customer base as it is it's own thing. Plus the one everyone wants is way too expensive.

·
Rider
1,246 Posts
Where are you hearing that the FTR isn't selling well?

·
Bronze member
3,738 Posts
I don't think that will bother them... they have the money already into the "Street" version... one thing they might be worried about is the cannibalizing of FTR sales... but I think they'll roll the dice and if the Street version is a hit and the FTR sales worsen (I personally don't know if they are good or not, but I haven't met one in the wild yet) they'll just drop it... but I think that motor and platform will be around awhile... one other thing is... I think there is a lot more "factory" potential in that motor... they may have to unleash the Gennie so to speak....

·
Silver member
5,494 Posts
I really don't see why they would even keep the "FTR" moniker for the street model as it won't have any flat tracker pretensions.
Because there's a market outside the cruiser world (which Indian really want to break out from as well!). The world of MT-10, CB1000R's, but also Suzuki Bandit, Honda Hornet... standard bikes.

·
Rider
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I’m just surprised how amazingly mum Indian & Co., have been about it. The ECMIA show starts next week. For there not to be a spy photo, video clip, ETC., is either a testament to Indian’s ability to control such info... Or a sign that the ‘FTR Street’ is unlikely to make an appearance this year.

I’m sure time will tell... Happy Halloween, everyone! Please watch out for those Trick or Treaters.

·
Founding member
1,748 Posts
Potentially an issue to be sure. I hope this isn't the case, especially because I believe they could sell more "STR"s than FTRs, especially when you consider the FTR is compromised for performance road riding in order to give some off road ability that most riders will never use, especially because if you look it if from an off road perspective you would say that the opposite is true, that it traded off road ability for street performance and styling. Also the simple fact that one of those compromises is a high seat height, that many riders without dirt experience find disorienting.

Also as stated, it is a few grand too expensive for its intended market, especially in the most desirable trim.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pessimists are happier than optimists.
We expect things to go bad and when they do we are vindicated. In the same situation optimistic people are crushed.
So I predicted that the FTR would sell quickly to the few who wanted them and then the rest would sit.
Standards generally have seldom sold well in the US. The FTR is to big, to heavy, to expensive.... If Indian had brought out a smaller, lighter, cheaper 750 it might be a different story. I bet an adventure version might sell well if done right.
Don’t know about a pure street version. Again big heavy expensive standards might not be a seller. The competition is faster, cheaper and lighter.
Is the FTR a bad bike? Heck no! It is damn near perfect for the unique individual who is attracted to the type. Mine puts a huge smile on my face every time I ride it, but I’ve always been a bit outside the mainstream.

·
Super Moderator
3,633 Posts
Potentially an issue to be sure. I hope this isn't the case, especially because I believe they could sell more "STR"s than FTRs, especially when you consider the FTR is compromised for performance road riding in order to give some off road ability that most riders will never use, especially because if you look it if from an off road perspective you would say that the opposite is true, that it traded off road ability for street performance and styling. Also the simple fact that one of those compromises is a high seat height, that many riders without dirt experience find disorienting.

Also as stated, it is a few grand too expensive for its intended market, especially in the most desirable trim.
I totally agree with your post. The FTR is a neat bike & pretty to look at, but it doesn't fit into an established category...it's a hybrid dirt and street bike. And, with most hybrids, it tries to do two things - neither excellently. Very, very few will ever see dirt, so the stock tires aren't the pick for the street. The FTR isn't going to hang with naked sport bikes nor the adventure models. I hope it's successful, but it reminds me of when HD released the V-Rod. Great engine, neat bike, but didn't really fit, and was a flop.

·
Bronze member
2,729 Posts
Ftr is NOT a dirt bike. Those silly flat track tires are the only thing dirt about the bike. The chassis and suspension are for street use and it does it well once you get good tires on it.

It’s no more capable off road than any other naked bike with 50/50 tires.

Indian screwed up with marketing. I’ve had it for almost 6 months. And maybe two people knew it was an ftr. The rest asked what it was. Even at ocmd bike week.

If they fix their marketing, it will sell as those who see it like it and are interested in learning more.

Making a street version or adv version won’t change things much. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,494 Posts
The FTR isn't going to hang with naked sport bikes nor the adventure models.
Define "hang with". I ride canyons (and canyons only basically), where the FTR "hangs" with any decently fast naked sports bike, not a problem at all. My buddies ride Speed Triple, Multistrada 1200, CB1000R, Monster 1200, bikes like that.

Yes on sport/touring tires, not the stock ones. But the stock ones weren't THAT bad.

·
Diamond member
9,090 Posts
I'm not surprised that a bike that is released in middle of a season hasn't sold a million copies after its release.. lol..I believe it's something that needs to catch on.. what I believe it's bigger problem for potential sales has nothing to do with the bikes design, or it's marketing... I believe it's more to do with dealers being nervous to even talk about one drawing attention to one and potentially having to start it in front of the potential customer and it stalling a couple times soiling Indian as a whole and every model in the dealership.....

I believe it will catch on. People FREAK out when I'm out and about on it.. LOTS of questions and hoots and hollers..

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.