Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that Polaris Indian seems to intentionally leak stuff about upcoming new models. I'm wondering what kind of new juicy tidbits are out there yet regarding the 2021 line up.

·
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anybody out there has anything regarding new 2021 model Indians, any changes whatever. Remember all of the leaked info & pictures of the FTR & Challenger? That kind of stuff.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Speculation is we won't hear or see anything until Spring of 2021 due to Covid, and with the rates going up that seems more likely. Probably the Challengermaster with the long overdue 2020 Ride Command updates

·
Senior member / rider
1,304 Posts
I started a thread a while back asking about rumors about upcoming models. Crickets.....

I wonder if this whole shutdown thing had impacted new model development. On one hand, the manufacturers would seem to have time to work on new stuff. But I wonder if they’ve been slowed by working remotely. I hope some cool new stuff is coming in 21. 2020 has been a crap show.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
I started a thread a while back asking about rumors about upcoming models. Crickets.....

I wonder if this whole shutdown thing had impacted new model development. On one hand, the manufacturers would seem to have time to work on new stuff. But I wonder if they’ve been slowed by working remotely. I hope some cool new stuff is coming in 21. 2020 has been a crap show.

Indian can't even get dealers stocked with sufficient inventory. This is a world wide issue that has put massive supply chain constraints on all the manufacturers. With factories shutting down, opening and shutting down to infected employees it has become a major problem.

·
Senior member / rider
1,304 Posts
Yes. I know dealers have very low inventory. Couple of local dealers I know have had record sales, and have gotten rid of almost all stock, even the old dogs. Some manufacturers have begun taking orders, but I suspect it’ll be spring before “new” stuff appears. I fear “new” will initially feature Bold New Colors.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Yes. I know dealers have very low inventory. Couple of local dealers I know have had record sales, and have gotten rid of almost all stock, even the old dogs. Some manufacturers have begun taking orders, but I suspect it’ll be spring before “new” stuff appears. I fear “new” will initially feature Bold New Colors.

Yep my dealer normally has 30 to 40 new bikes in stock. They are almost down to 10

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
as far as developing a new bike what will if anything comes out new in 2021 was developed at least 3 years ago... as far as COVID it does have an effect on supplies.. which for manufacturing sucks... but for dealers getting ride of inventory is good... but I'm sure you'll still be able to buy a 19 this winter... it probably will work out for Indian they wanted to change the new model release to spring anyway... but I do expect teasers and "leaks" to start by the end of August...

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
as far as developing a new bike what will if anything comes out new in 2021 was developed at least 3 years ago... as far as COVID it does have an effect on supplies.. which for manufacturing sucks... but for dealers getting ride of inventory is good... but I'm sure you'll still be able to buy a 19 this winter... it probably will work out for Indian they wanted to change the new model release to spring anyway... but I do expect teasers and "leaks" to start by the end of August...
It’s possible Indian will keep it quiet. They were supposed to launch a huge television advertising campaign over the spring and summer. So far 2 so so commercials. They aren’t going to make the same FTR mistake by hyping a product that was almost 9 months out from being available.

·
Bronze member
1,588 Posts
You can rest assured that whatever they might release, whether it's at Sturgis, in Europe in January, or by sneaking it in to dealers next May, it's already done from a D&D perspective. It's completely valid that supply chain issues may prevent them from releasing a new bike this fall or even in the winter. Case in point - I ordered a new car last December with a promised delivery date of 6/1. That car just got to the dealership last week for delivery, so it was about 6 weeks late. It was built in Germany where they controlled Covid much better than most places, but it still had an impact.

And I also imagine part of the reason that dealers are running out of stock is really a two fold issue: First, supplier interruption related to Covid; second, Polaris usually cuts off production time in early summer to shift to new model years. While that may or may not have happened this year, it likely had an impact.

·
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wasn't there an adventure bike coming based upon the FTR for 2021? The Roadmasterized Challenger is a given but there might be one or two other "surprise" variants of each. Time will tell.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Wasn't there an adventure bike coming based upon the FTR for 2021? The Roadmasterized Challenger is a given but there might be one or two other "surprise" variants of each. Time will tell.

Hard to say. The FTR line has been a disappointment for Indian. Sales just didn't materialize. Dealers still have many of the first ones built still on showroom floors heavily discounted. The variants of the FTR now are really nothing but different handlebars and accessory options, still the same bike. But they have only been around a year. There was heavy rumor's of a smaller 750 cc version. But that's about all on that subject.

What we are most likely to see next is the Challenger Touring model and VVT added to the Thunderstroke line, and then we may also see a fork mounted faring version of the Challenger.

·
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so the FTR adventure variant might be on hold indefinitely. A Chieftainized Challenger variant is likely along with the Roadmasterized one. Outside of that we will see Bold New Paint and that's about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Indian can't even get dealers stocked with sufficient inventory. This is a world wide issue that has put massive supply chain constraints on all the manufacturers. With factories shutting down, opening and shutting down to infected employees it has become a major problem.
The two dealers here in metro Atlanta seem to be just fine with stock except on Scouts, apparently the heavy stuff is not moving nearly as fast.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
I hate to say it but "in my opinion" Indian needs to keep the heavy cruiser line down.. which they started by dropping the Chief.. they need to work on lower than 1000cc and in the real medium range... I know they think the Scout is a Mid-Size bike and the motor is... but the frame is not... they need to get ahead of the power curve on this.. the heavy cruiser market is dying.. long term survival means long term planning...

Reactions: muz
1 - 20 of 21 Posts