Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I would have one if I had the spare $$$ laying around. But sadly, not the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,403 Posts
The question is all in the title. What say you?

DarkHorse666 your question was quite limiting perhaps? Maybe who has an FTR and an oil tanker as a second bike??

I have an FTR and another 'iconic American made motorcycle' that is a bit like an oil tanker a behemoth of a machine weighing in at over 1000lbs and 8.5 feet long is a sh1tp1g in the handling stakes but great for eating a respective number of miles in a straight line in comfort. My first bike could never tick all my boxes so I bought an FTR which is at the opposite end of the spectrum as a stablemate. Both bikes are 'keepers' and I thoroughly enjoy both bikes for completely different reasons. The FTR is a stonking machine, not a sports bike but with an aggressive stance and comfortable seating position it'll give a lot of machines a good run for money and is great on the backstreets, for commuting or on twistier roads 'canyon carving' I think you call it?

Reactions: joBZH

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,394 Posts
I'm probably not qualified to reply being as I don't yet have an FTR but my fixed retirement income keeps me down to owning just one motorcycle at a time. If I could afford to have more than one the FTR would be high on my list. I just downsized from a 2015 Chieftain to a Scout back in September and that was a major change for me. I ended up spending a lot more on just making the Scout comfortable than I would have imagined. Had I chosen an FTR instead maybe the suspension would've been better but there might have been other comfort related issues, who knows? Anyhow for the time being I'm stuck with what I have and made it a better ride than it was.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DarkHorse666 your question was quite limiting perhaps? Maybe who has an FTR and an oil tanker as a second bike??

I have an FTR and another 'iconic American made motorcycle' that is a bit like an oil tanker a behemoth of a machine weighing in at over 1000lbs and 8.5 feet long is a sh1tp1g in the handling stakes but great for eating a respective number of miles in a straight line in comfort. My first bike could never tick all my boxes so I bought an FTR which is at the opposite end of the spectrum as a stablemate. Both bikes are 'keepers' and I thoroughly enjoy both bikes for completely different reasons. The FTR is a stonking machine, not a sports bike but with an aggressive stance and comfortable seating position it'll give a lot of machines a good run for money and is great on the backstreets, for commuting or on twistier roads 'canyon carving' I think you call it?
That is exactly the sort of perspective I was looking for, and yes, I'm asking the "oil tanker" class because I want to know what guys who mostly ride big bikes think of the FTR.

I don't know if I'd call my Dark Horse an "oil tanker" though...it's more like a '58 Lincoln Continental.... ? (a little smaller than an oil tanker, but not much...)

·
Rider
1,403 Posts
DarkHorse666 there are a myriad of great bikes out there suitable as a second ride and bang for buck maybe quicker? I am 58 and my days of leaning over a tank reaching for bars are at an end. I just wanted something I could have fun on, also use on longer journeys if I wished and be a little 'out of the box' with regards to make and in comparison the all the MTs, Kawasakis, KTMs and other similar styled bikes out there. I normally keep my bikes for quite some time and I am really impressed with the FTR but have no historical experience of a modern bike in the same class to compare it with. Go for a test ride and report your findings, I am interested as there was no opportunity to test ride over here and I bought one without riding one first. No regrets though....miles of smiles for me, I still had some itches I needed to scratch and the FTR filled that void impeccably!

Reactions: hakuin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts