Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do the bun burner 1500 pretty soon. Vegas to the Texas coast roughly. Looks like i need to be very thorough.

Is anyone here certified??

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am a certified saddlesore 1000 rider..
Yes, you need to be thorough and follow the rules. But, it's not hard. Most importantly is to to take pictures of the gas receipts next to the odometer and take notes of where you rode to create an accurate map to give them..
Dont be worried just follow the guidelines and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Saddlesore 1000 certified whiteness at beginning and end follow rules enjoy the ride 1000 took 18 hours if I remember correctly been a few years. They give you plenty of time do not hesitate to rest occasionally most of all be safe

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yep, did the Saddlesore and the Bun Burner. As crooked said, just follow the guidelines and keep good records.

Reactions: Mr.Niceguy

·
Registered
433 Posts
As said your gas receipts are gold,don’t lose any.Also need one at any major direction change so a little planning to prevent 2stops close together.I used my GPS and the time stopped is very difficult to make up on the road.Enjoy the challenge and be safe!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bikes did you all do it on? I'm going to use my chief, wanted to add highway bars and a back rest. I rode from long beach California to vegas and I was cramping!

·
Rider
877 Posts
Looking to do the bun burner 1500 pretty soon. Vegas to the Texas coast roughly. Looks like i need to be very thorough.

Is anyone here certified??
Last one I did was in 2013. Bun Burner Gold: 1524 miles Louisville Ky to Little America, Wy. 23 hrs 15 min. I did it on an ‘11 Vic Vision. The RM is comfortable enough to do one on IMO.They are a lot of fun. No one will argue that 1k miles inside of 24 hrs,1500 inside of 36hrs is a lot of riding. The BB Gold 1500 miles in < than 24 hrs. tested my metal a bit. I don’t know what the rules are now but I believe you can qualify for the Saddle Sore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500 on the same ride. Dbl check gas receipts to make sure the time stamp and location are legible, snap quick photo in case you lose one, try and get some good witnesses. I lived on bottled water and beef jerky. Ride east to west if at all possible. It’s not real critical if you have a well known, straight route for a BB1500 or SS1000 but the extreme 1500 miles in < than 24hrs your route, miles between gas stops, length of gas stops etc become very critical, do the math. A flat interstate avoiding major metro traffic snarls, route planning, are your friends.

Attachments

Reactions: bmoore

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
Yessir — IBA#50293. Keep an envelope and all of your receipts go in there. (I keep mine in my front fairing.) Be sure to write date, time, location on the back of each receipt — sometimes those printers don’t work or are really faded. you can also keep a running gas log on your receipt envelope. Enjoy —

·
Read Only
416 Posts
IBA 8562 here. Best advice?

Records, records, records.

I kept all gas receipts, wrote a quick note on each and kept a log book for quick notes at the start, each gas stop and when I stopped at night. I made copies and sent all that in for certification. 1,162 miles in 17 hours for the saddlesore and 1,682 in 35.5 hours on my bunburner. That entire trip was Knoxville to Phoenix and back in 4.5 days (3,800 miles total) and I kept off two wheels for a few weeks after that.
Also, stay hydrated and do not eat heavy meals during the ride.
Good luck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
#11007 here. I don’t really have anything to add beyond what was said above so just go with what they said.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What bikes did you all do it on? I'm going to use my chief, wanted to add highway bars and a back rest. I rode from long beach California to vegas and I was cramping!
I did it on a 2012 Victory cross country.
It had a cup holder full of coffee and the occasional red bull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
442 Posts
Did my Iron Butt 1,000 at 65 a couple of years ago on my HD Dyna Super Glide.... 1,071 miles in 18 hours riding from Tucson to Albuquerque and back. It would have been a lot easier and more comfortable on my Springfield so I may just have to attempt another. Less planning went into D-Day but knowing the route/roads really helped when the weather went to hell. The weather guessers blew the forecast big time and I fought 25 -35 mph winds right on the nose all the way back from Albuquerque. Burned a lot of fuel necessitating several extra fuel stops.

I reset my body clock for several days before my 0100 departure and carbo loaded big time the night before. Stayed completely off of caffeine, sodas, sugar etc for the entire ride except for a 5 Hour Energy to get me through the last 3 hours of darkness in heavy I-10 traffic {bring one, if you need it you will be glad you did}. Went with high protein, low/no carb snacks on a regular basis and lots of water with frequent short breaks to un - gear, stretch and walk around a bit. The early am departure got the bulk of my night riding done while I was the freshest and that worked well. You don't want to do your last 6 - 8 hours in darkness as you will be pretty exhausted at that point. It was a lot of work for a hat and license plate frame {neither of which was free} but for an old guy like me it will always be a source of pride.

(y)

·
Rider
877 Posts
Lighting also very important and ones comfort level night riding. The ‘11 Vic Vision I did the Bun Burner Gold on had 2 H4 bulbs + the center HID light The Vision was IMO the ultimate Iron Butt machine. Not only the lighting but the huge running boards and the ability to really stretch out I rode across 3 time zones starting in Louisville Ky at 0430 eastern ending up in western Wyoming 0145 Mt. 1524 miles/23hrs 15min. I caught 6 hrs or so shut eye and ended up in Bend, Or, 2030 Pacific time that evening. Riding east to west most definitely give you a few extra minutes of daylight.

Reactions: Mr.Niceguy

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
+1 on the 5-hour energy, but try ‘em first on shorter rides. I could have one or two at most on a SS (they gave me GID — and that’s the last thing you want on one of these rides). But holy smoke — you will be sharp and clear for several hours after taking one.

- and I forgot to mention an Airhawk. Best $100 I ever spent. It is IMHO a necessity on 24hr+ rides.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! Diet im not so worried about, mountain bike racer here. Wife is a personal trainer too LOL we stay pretty healthy! Im just worried about the cramping and being able to lean back and stretch out. Was planning on no windshield either. Definitely going to check out the airhawk!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did my Iron Butt 1,000 at 65 a couple of years ago on my HD Dyna Super Glide.... 1,071 miles in 18 hours riding from Tucson to Albuquerque and back. It would have been a lot easier and more comfortable on my Springfield so I may just have to attempt another. Less planning went into D-Day but knowing the route/roads really helped when the weather went to hell. The weather guessers blew the forecast big time and I fought 25 -35 mph winds right on the nose all the way back from Albuquerque. Burned a lot of fuel necessitating several extra fuel stops.

I reset my body clock for several days before my 0100 departure and carbo loaded big time the night before. Stayed completely off of caffeine, sodas, sugar etc for the entire ride except for a 5 Hour Energy to get me through the last 3 hours of darkness in heavy I-10 traffic {bring one, if you need it you will be glad you did}. Went with high protein, low/no carb snacks on a regular basis and lots of water with frequent short breaks to un - gear, stretch and walk around a bit. The early am departure got the bulk of my night riding done while I was the freshest and that worked well. You don't want to do your last 6 - 8 hours in darkness as you will be pretty exhausted at that point. It was a lot of work for a hat and license plate frame {neither of which was free} but for an old guy like me it will always be a source of pride.

(y)
I just want the expierence and the proof! Kinda a personal goal for me since getting the chief.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Big error IMHO. That will make it just plain brutal...
I agree with Hink. The distance is enough to wear you out but if you are fighting the wind in addition to the mileage fatigue, not sure that is a good idea. You want your first IB to be memorable for all kinds of reasons but fatigue should not be the top of that list. Research all the thousands of riders that have commented and written about their numerous rides. Most ride with some sort of wind deflection/protection.

However, this is your ride, not ours. If you want to attempt it without a windshield or some sort of wind protection, more power to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did mine a couple years ago on a 14 Cross Country 1500 miles cut short to 1000 -- had rain, heat, snow and rear ended in Denver @ 4:00 AM on my way back to Kansas City -- Enjoyed every bit of it (accident got me my 17 roadmaster). Worst part was tired butt every 150 miles as long as you drink water and stretch you'll be fine -- and watch for those distracted cagers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts