Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my Street Glide a couple years ago. Can’t seem to scratch the itch any other way, so been contemplating buying another bike since April. Figured I’d be patient so I can get a deal on a new Chieftain, Have it narrowed down to the 19 Chieftain Classic Copper/Beige (that brown seat looks great) or the White Chieftain Darkhorse. Super tough decision. If anyone has pros/cons on these, let them fly.
I’m going to Indian for a few reasons. The Chieftain felt easier to handle, more comfortable (over the HD SG), price is better and you don’t see them all over.
I’ve been patient as I want to see what 2020 brings, then hoping at that time if there isn’t a 2020 I can’t live without due to any new feature, color, or possible 116 standard, then there will be good rebates on the 19’s.
Looking forward to joining the group. Plan to go with air cleaner, tuner, Indian cams and Monster Zombies right off the bat.
And then the biggest variable is if we actually see a new Challenger come in.....that looked great as well. Decisions, decisions.......the next month should be interesting.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
Welcome, plenty of options for bikes currently and upcoming from Indian. If the fixed fairing Challenger cruiser & it's new engine is any good it could be a nice addition to the lineup. Pull up a chair and have a cool one, cheers.

·
Rider
756 Posts
So I sold my Street Glide a couple years ago. Can’t seem to scratch the itch any other way, so been contemplating buying another bike since April. Figured I’d be patient so I can get a deal on a new Chieftain, Have it narrowed down to the 19 Chieftain Classic Copper/Beige (that brown seat looks great) or the White Chieftain Darkhorse. Super tough decision. If anyone has pros/cons on these, let them fly.
I’m going to Indian for a few reasons. The Chieftain felt easier to handle, more comfortable (over the HD SG), price is better and you don’t see them all over.
I’ve been patient as I want to see what 2020 brings, then hoping at that time if there isn’t a 2020 I can’t live without due to any new feature, color, or possible 116 standard, then there will be good rebates on the 19’s.
Looking forward to joining the group. Plan to go with air cleaner, tuner, Indian cams and Monster Zombies right off the bat.
And then the biggest variable is if we actually see a new Challenger come in.....that looked great as well. Decisions, decisions.......the next month should be interesting.
Buy the 2019 CHIEFTAIN LIMITED WHEN THE 2020’s come on off he floor.,, that’s the nicest and best CHIEFTAIN INDIANS GOT,.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buy the 2019 CHIEFTAIN LIMITED WHEN THE 2020’s come on off he floor.,, that’s the nicest and best CHIEFTAIN INDIANS GOT,.
It is a good bike but with the changes it’s going to depreciate immediately and resell could be difficult.
I am in the middle of this decision now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It is a good bike but with the changes it’s going to depreciate immediately and resell could be difficult.
I am in the middle of this decision now.

I could be wrong but Ive not heard of any major changes between the 2019 and 2020 Limited, just the introduction of new models. So I’m not sure if the 2020 Limiteds will effect the 2019 as much for resale value.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,249 Posts
I could be wrong but Ive not heard of any major changes between the 2019 and 2020 Limited, just the introduction of new models. So I’m not sure if the 2020 Limiteds will effect the 2019 as much for resale value.

Well the will have VVT this year.
Indian Joins The Variable Valve Timing Game

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
And Ride Command 2.0. And 116 engine (at least as an option)?
I see I have fallen behind on the changes coming in 2020. Thank you.

But to be honest the 116 has no appeal for me. The 111 produces enough heat for me thank you very much.

In fact in reality I think the 116 is only there so someone can boast about the size of their engine. I think it would be possible to improve the 111 in order to produce the same horsepower as the 116.

·
Bronze member
3,066 Posts
I see I have fallen behind on the changes coming in 2020. Thank you.

But to be honest the 116 has no appeal for me. The 111 produces enough heat for me thank you very much.

In fact in reality I think the 116 is only there so someone can boast about the size of their engine. I think it would be possible to improve the 111 in order to produce the same horsepower as the 116.

well it has been proven that is true... but what he is talking about is the 116 being standard from the factory... not a 5K add on... if they add the full 5K you'll be looking at 33K for a Limited... at that point in time wait until the winter of 2020 and buy it for 25K

·
Registered
251 Posts
And Ride Command 2.0. And 116 engine (at least as an option)?
Sales manager at my dealership told me 116 is coming standard on the Chieftains. But not the full "kit' whatever that meant.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don’t know about any of you, but this “drip drip” release by Indian is really annoying. They did the same last year. I expected more than just the scouts to be released by now. They may think this is cute, but if there was another bike out there currently for sale that I also wanted, like the Rocket 3, i’d say to heck with this and buy it.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
I don’t know about any of you, but this “drip drip” release by Indian is really annoying. They did the same last year. I expected more than just the scouts to be released by now. They may think this is cute, but if there was another bike out there currently for sale that I also wanted, like the Rocket 3, i’d say to heck with this and buy it.

The slow release is to help dealers sell off older 2018-2019 inventory. the past 2 years dealers had more inventory left than they wanted

·
Registered
233 Posts
The slow release is to help dealers sell off older 2018-2019 inventory. the past 2 years dealers had more inventory left than they wanted
No offense, but I’m not buying that because you can’t tell me left over inventory is an issue exclusive to Indian. Harley doesn’t have the same problem? No way. And yet they’ve announced their entire 2020 line. I’m sure every manufacturer has to deal with that. There has to be other reasons for their release method.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
No offense, but I’m not buying that because you can’t tell me left over inventory is an issue exclusive to Indian. Harley doesn’t have the same problem? No way. And yet they’ve announced their entire 2020 line. I’m sure every manufacturer has to deal with that. There has to be other reasons for their release method.

No offense taken but if you haven’t noticed Harley is not doing well and has been falling the past 5 years. Maybe they should have not flooded the market with bikes. And this years 2020 Harley’s were a big yawn. Now Indian will have the last laugh.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts