Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate how far back the antenna sticks out. I run into it every time I'm walking around the back of the bike. I've zip tied it loosely to the trunk rack. It works great with no ill effects, but looks a bit janky. Anyone have a better solution?

·
199 Posts
There is a bi t of swivel to the mount. I just tucked the top under the front saddlebag mount, then it is invisible. and still works.

·
Rider
404 Posts
Theres a square rubber bushing around the antenna , you can see it in your pic . pull it up and you can adjust your antenna forward or back

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
608 Posts
Cut it down like I did or replace it with shorter antenna like This one
7C0C2428-D15A-4A02-A049-0D767FDA7B71.jpeg

Reactions: jayred1

·
Registered
724 Posts
I got a couple inch shorter antenna in hopes it would improve the radio reception. Maybe it did a little bit. Still have to walk around it but I guess I'm used to it by now. Always was able to move it basically forwards and backwards as it sat on the mount.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also opted for a short antenna. Stays out of the way. Plus, for the times when I do use the normal radio (instead of my satelite radio or music off a flash drive), it does work well. It does not have quite the range as the long antenna, but it does work well enough for me. This was one from AutoZone. I did have to find a different mounting screw, but I had one in a parts box. Can't remember what size, but easily found at Lowes or Home Depot.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Curious about your clips on your flags. Did they come with the setup? Or did you make them or find them yourself?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Curious about your clips on your flags. Did they come with the setup? Or did you make them or find them yourself?
The clips come with the bracket. You can also buy spare ones (which I probably need to do... They feel like they are getting a little brittle from the weather. I've had it on the bike for almost 3 years. One of the first things I added to the bike when I bought it. It's made by Rivco.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice thanks for the info. I transferred the flag poles that I had on my VTX to my RM when I got it. Was lucky and nice the highway pegs and flag mounts came off the same size tubes so they just went right on. I use a leather working awl to poke a hole in the flag to put a small zip tie through and cinch it around the flag pole. Usually I just use four ties, hold the flag in place. Then burn the end of the cut off tie so a sharp corner won't catch the flag and pull threads, wear it out, etc. A little more work, but they stay quite well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice thanks for the info. I transferred the flag poles that I had on my VTX to my RM when I got it. Was lucky and nice the highway pegs and flag mounts came off the same size tubes so they just went right on. I use a leather working awl to poke a hole in the flag to put a small zip tie through and cinch it around the flag pole. Usually I just use four ties, hold the flag in place. Then burn the end of the cut off tie so a sharp corner won't catch the flag and pull threads, wear it out, etc. A little more work, but they stay quite well.
The clips are for the Rivco flag poles, which seem to be a little smaller diameter than the flag poles I used on my Gold Wing. I do like where these flags are - less wind to wear the flags out faster. And they don't get in the way of the travel bag for the top of the trunk.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bend the antenna to go under the trunk and seat. When I ride without the trunk the antenna still goes under the rack
PXL_20210718_155319640.jpg

Reactions: Ra1der

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh that's a good idea too. I like that. Another good idea with the stick on sale advert, too.

Reactions: Ledzepdad

·
Bronze member
1,636 Posts
Or, you just get rid of it all together since the reception sucks anyway and radio coverage is only good if you never leave your state or listening area. I have installed one of these in my RM as well as my Vic XC and will likely put one in the Chally this winter. Gets ride of the ugliness and works, at least well enough to pick up the WX channel, which is all I really care about.

It mounts inside the fairing so you don't see it, and never have to run in to it. To do a clean install, you need to remove the entire cable that runs the length of the bike, but you could always tie off the connector in the fairing and just leave the rest of it where it's mounted. You'll never miss it!

Reactions: Ra1der

·
Rider
677 Posts
Thanks for the tip Ramble_On. I just ordered their antenna that looks like an arrow... I'll let ya how it works once I get it.
UPDATE: The new antenna works good, and I'm amused with it looking like a hunting arrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts