Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

The whip antenna was getting in the way of my luggage and during a moment of weakness I impulse bought the Kuryakyn billet antenna replacement with the adapter. (PN: 863, 869) The install was fairly easy. I had what I thought was the genius idea of removing the grommet and it turned out to be a PITA to get it back in but I think it made the install easier. I like the look a lot better but I haven't tested the radio yet. I almost never use AM/FM. There's a split washer on the factory connector that I reused.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello Everyone,

The whip antenna was getting in the way of my luggage and during a moment of weakness I impulse bought the Kuryakyn billet antenna replacement with the adapter. (PN: 863, 869) The install was fairly easy. I had what I thought was the genius idea of removing the grommet and it turned out to be a PITA to get it back in but I think it made the install easier. I like the look a lot better but I haven't tested the radio yet. I almost never use AM/FM. There's a split washer on the factory connector that I reused.

View attachment 605566 View attachment 605567 View attachment 605568 View attachment 605569
I have the same one.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
685 Posts
Hope that works for you, let us know. I changed mine to a 34 buck Ebay rubber (claiming to have copper inside) antenna and it sucked. I also hardly ever use the radio but when I want to use it, I expect it to work. I put the whip back on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hope that works for you, let us know. I changed mine to a 34 buck Ebay rubber (claiming to have copper inside) antenna and it sucked. I also hardly ever use the radio but when I want to use it, I expect it to work. I put the whip back on.
I never listen to the radio. I Bluetooth my phone and play music from it. Mine is purely for aesthetics

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi
Can someone please provide me with a picture of the order for the antenna, i was working on mine undid the nut and it all fell off, so i am unsure if the antenna lead goes directly to the antenna or on the other side of the mounting plate

·
Rider
1,044 Posts
How is the AM/FM reception on the Challenger? Curious if it’s the same radio as my ‘17 RM

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wasn't terrible for FM prior to me swapping the antenna. I never use it however so it's difficult to say.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I swapped mine out to one of those shorty antennas on Amazon.. seems to work.. definitely looks better than that humongous stock one. But I don't use much of the radio either.. prefer to just bluetooth my iphone to play apple music playlists.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,166 Posts
Just put on a 50 cal shorty antenna on the RM from alphadefensegear.com

Looks good. Haven't tried using the fm radio yet to see about reception. Can't get more out of the way than this...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,166 Posts
Tested it out yesterday. Reception was pretty good. Had 6 stations preset from when I lived in tacoma. Now that I'm in lacey, about 30 miles south, 4 out of 6 came in well. The other two were kinda spotty in tacoma, but complete static down here. Same difference with the car radio between here and there, so I'd say it's fair quality. I always stream music or use the USB stick, so it doesn't really effect me much.

Also, this came with a bunch of adapters for different thread sizes, but I didn't need them, as it fit perfectly without the adapters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts