Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my assumption of course and will verify when the dealer checks it out.
Symptom is my charging voltage (quite suddenly) dropped to 11.9 volts. I charged the battery and it measured 12.7 volts (all reading taken at the battery). I started the bike and the voltage dropped to 11.9 even with the engin reving. I guess it could be the stator but I'd bet money it is the regulator. I could have checked the electrical output of the stator and checked out the regulator but since the bike is still under warranty I figured I would let the dealer figure it out. I will be trailering to the dealer on Saturday.
This will be the second regulator change for this bike, which definitely has me concerned.
Anyone else out there having similar problems?

·
Rider
2021 Roadmaster
671 Posts
I'm curious if it's just the 14 and 15s that have VR problems? Or does the 16 and 17s also have this problem?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
This is why I always have a spare on hand along with a couple other parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had 9670 miles on my 2015 Chieftain when I had the first occurrence a few days ago. That being, on a ride, the ABS light, Check Engine, low oil came on, a flashing dash turn signal indicator which wouldn't cancel, no speedometer, driving lights and digital display going on and off by themselves, and then a shutdown. DTC's SPN 520262 FMI 3 and SPN 168 FMI 3 immediately displayed. These refer to high voltage. I was able to get a peek at the dash screen to see voltage and saw 15.8 volts which is too high. It should never be much over 14 volts. This problem was intermittent at first. Then it fully blew and was permanent a few miles after the first event. The shop says it's a blown voltage regulator which is covered by the extended warrantee. $50.00 deductible. I purchased 2 extra years. They have a new one on order. I'm tempted to price a spare. I'm on here to see if this is common. The Indian shop mechanic says they see them and "it's not uncommon". My battery is always on a Deltran battery tender. Its stored indoors and always meticulously cared for. I did not check the battery connections but I assume the shop will and I'm betting they are clean and tight. Anyone else had a voltage regulator fail? How common is this? Has anyone heard that the new voltage regulators underwent any improvements?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Have had a Springfield that one went out on at 8500 miles, then plus several other problems, traded that in for a Chieftain Dark Horse ( took a sort of loss ) then the one on that went out at 7800 miles, shop had to wait a week to get approval to order one under warranty, which IMO is total BS by Indian, Cheap Cycle Parts can have you a OEM for $199, Indian wants $250. Dealer said third one in a year they had to replace.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had 9670 miles on my 2015 Chieftain when I had the first occurrence a few days ago. That being, on a ride, the ABS light, Check Engine, low oil came on, a flashing dash turn signal indicator which wouldn't cancel, no speedometer, driving lights and digital display going on and off by themselves, and then a shutdown. DTC's SPN 520262 FMI 3 and SPN 168 FMI 3 immediately displayed. These refer to high voltage. I was able to get a peek at the dash screen to see voltage and saw 15.8 volts which is too high. It should never be much over 14 volts. This problem was intermittent at first. Then it fully blew and was permanent a few miles after the first event. The shop says it's a blown voltage regulator which is covered by the extended warrantee. $50.00 deductible. I purchased 2 extra years. They have a new one on order. I'm tempted to price a spare. I'm on here to see if this is common. The Indian shop mechanic says they see them and "it's not uncommon". My battery is always on a Deltran battery tender. Its stored indoors and always meticulously cared for. I did not check the battery connections but I assume the shop will and I'm betting they are clean and tight. Anyone else had a voltage regulator fail? How common is this? Has anyone heard that the new voltage regulators underwent any improvements?
Yes you are correct the Voltage should be reading 14.4-14.6 reasonably steady between that range whenever the motor is running. I think I have a similar problem on my diesel Range Rover sport. Voltage fluctuates between 13.1-12.9 and sometimes goes up to 14.7 but doesn't stay there long. The symptom is that after a long 200km drive the battery tender goes on and it's hard over charging at 5-6amps for quite a few hours before finally slowly reducing to milliamperes after a few more hours. In other words battery is not charging at full rate when engine on as evidenced by fluctuation in voltage in range between 12.9-13.1. There are a lot of electronics under the hood but I wouldn't be surprised if its the voltage regulator. But I will check the battery terminals first make sure they are torqued correctly. I think it's a calcium battery as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had to have mine replaced on a 2017 chieftain with only 4 k on it.
Oh God...This isn't what I was wanting to hear. It sounds like there are a lot of VR failures happening. I'm betting since it isn't safety related, a recall isn't going to happen. At $199. to $250. I sure don't want to be replacing these all the time.

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
This is my assumption of course and will verify when the dealer checks it out.
Symptom is my charging voltage (quite suddenly) dropped to 11.9 volts. I charged the battery and it measured 12.7 volts (all reading taken at the battery). I started the bike and the voltage dropped to 11.9 even with the engin reving. I guess it could be the stator but I'd bet money it is the regulator. I could have checked the electrical output of the stator and checked out the regulator but since the bike is still under warranty I figured I would let the dealer figure it out. I will be trailering to the dealer on Saturday.
This will be the second regulator change for this bike, which definitely has me concerned.
Anyone else out there having similar problems?
A HD buddy of mine was having the same problem and brought it to me and ask (begged for help) I bent down with a magnifying glass and saw a hair line fracture in his (same place
as ours) changed it out and off to the races I had to store his ride over night 2 wks ago, I've now just gotten rid of the stench and oil dripping (2011) good luck and maybe take a peak at yours.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 14 VR just went. I have about 23.5K on mine. I'd had some "moments" over the last few years with some volt drops but always charged back up. I had just left the dealer and the red batter symbol starts flashing. Shows 11.3 V, shuts off my spot lights, I was only a few miles from the dealer. Went back and left it, that was last Friday. Still waiting for Polaris to deliver one. I'm going to call them and ask for engineering after looking at this thread. We were to go on a club ride the next day. So THAT was lucky.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I just checked with my shop on this issue. They advise that they knew of this regulator issue with one (2014) bike. They said they don't stock the part because they haven't needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,178 Posts
My bike is at the dealership right now. I was having issues with the center LED display, the audio and the deadlight flickering. On the way to the dealership the center display came back on and the voltage reading was fluctuating between 14.6 and 15.1 volts. I'm assuming I will need the regulator replaced under warranty.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Said it before and saying it now.

That's why I keep a spare in my garage. I'm still under warranty but that's no consultation when you're waiting for a part to come in.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
178 Posts
My regulator crapped out Friday on the way home from work--9.9 volts when I pulled into my driveway. I picked up a replacement at the dealer on Saturday morning. Parts guy said they carry a couple because they know about the problem. Easy fix, but $200 for something they know is defective chaps my ass. I wonder how long my new part will last?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My bike is at the dealership right now. I was having issues with the center LED display, the audio and the deadlight flickering. On the way to the dealership the center display came back on and the voltage reading was fluctuating between 14.6 and 15.1 volts. I'm assuming I will need the regulator replaced under warranty.
Those are GOOD numbers. I just got my bike back before dealer closed on SAT. ON way home, I see mid to upper 13's at stop light then it will got to14.4 without my aftermarket replacement spot light bulbs on. If I put the spots on, I get 14.2 volts when riding. I never saw anything about 14.4. Anyone else notice what volts read at stop light? Curious to know. thx

1 - 20 of 92 Posts