Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the rear sprocket on my 14 Vintage over the weekend. Had an intermittent squeal last summer which almost drove me nuts. I'd adjust the belt, noise would go away for a while and then come back. The updated sprocket came from a wrecked 18 Roadmaster that I ordered from Ebay. I've attached a pic of the two sprockets side by side. The updated sprocket is on the right side. It has a bevel on the inboard side. Seems like even a perfectly adjusted belt rides close to the inboard edge. The bevel is likely there to eliminate the friction point between the belt edge and the side of the sprocket. No friction should mean no more noise....I hope, fingers crossed. Will know in two months or so once I can get the bike out for a ride.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
3,171 Posts
Good to know thanks.i think we could Chuck this In a lathe and bevel the OEM a little.
I adjust my belt so that it runs a little to the outside,and I only adjust while turning the wheel going forward .
I never adjust turning the wheel backwards as this always changes the way the belt tracks.
On mine anyway,I'm sure some are different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts