Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Another Ride Command Problem

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  nobletn08 
#1 ·
2020 Chieftain Elite here...

Ride Command was just replaced yesterday after waiting four months for it, the issues are still exactly the same.
1. USB volume is half of the Bluetooth volume.
2. When making a change in The Equalizer it takes up to 10 seconds for change.
3. Fading speakers front to rear or rear to front takes up to 5 minutes to take effect.
4. Volume changes the output level on its own.
5. Auto dim of screen doesn't work.
6. Auto volume level when stopped doesn't work.

Past repair attempts were going backwards on software updates and then going forward, somethings got better but then other things were effected and got worse.

Been to dealer at least six times so far, yet they have alot less issue's with the same Ride Command in the RZR's, which means the software for the Indian is crap.

For a $36,000 bike I expect better.

See less See more
#2 ·
2017 Roadmaster with Gen 1 Ride Command: "First Time?" :p

I know it's frustrating. Hopefully, Indian will be able to work out the bugs in the new RC system. It took them a couple years and a few updates to work out the bugs in the Gen 1 system as well.

#3 ·
I’ve posted this before about Ride Command - the latest version came out over three years ago. If IM hasnt fixed it in three years, they never will. They’ll keep kicking the can down the road by issuing their yearly “fix,” until they come out with the next generation of RC. After that, they’ll stop supporting the previous version.

This is how IM “fixed“ a problem with the Ride Command route planning feature - many users found when they planned a route on the website and loaded it in their bike, the bike wouldn’t follow it, but would default to the quickest route - regardless of what route the user actually created. How did IM fix that? They’ve now put a disclaimer on the RC site that warns users the bike may not follow the planned route.

#4 ·
I don’t think a new RC head unit replacement would fix much if anything on the RC. I think it’s all software. But I agree, this RC has been in service for 3 years, it’s not going to get any better. I purchased a 21 Roadmaster and was so pissed off with the RC after 4 months I went and traded back for my old 18, much happier.
As far as route planning changing from Desktop to vehicle that occurs with most gps units. Don’t understand why it can’t be imported as is, seems a mystery.

#5 ·
Just set up to 25 waypoints wisely at intersections or roads and it will follow the planned route. Okay, if interstate planned and on bike it is clicked that you don't want to ride on the interstate, that could be.....

2018 Roadmaster here and GPS works as it should, planning a route also. Took a bit time with trial and error to understand how the system works, but.....

Cu,
Sven

#6 ·
Now the dealer is trying to tell me Polaris is saying some delay is normal, okay then, what is the spec and what is considered a normal delay and not a normal delay response time.
It should not take 5 minutes to change the fade on the speakers front to rear. Or 15-30 seconds for the EQ to respond to a change.

#7 ·
Don't know, but a few seconds delay, especially in the cold, are normal in my opinion.

But I am only a user, not a genius.......

#8 ·
Don't know, but a few seconds delay, especially in the cold, are normal in my opinion.

But I am only a user, not a genius.......
I would think that as well, but it was inside the dealer all day and parked right next the service desk and no one was wearing anything other than a hoodie, it was 55 outside.

I don't think that a 5 minute delay on the screen is acceptable to me after spending what I did on an Elite.

#9 ·
You are right. Under those conditions more than a few seconds is not acceptable.

Lemon law in your state ? Maybe give the bike back and get a used, but in good shape with low mileage 2018 model.

Seems to me the best year.
Working GPS
Newer hand controls

What isn't there, can't break....
No Cylinder shut off system
No ride modes

Just to name a few things....

Cu,
Sven

#11 ·
You are right. Under those conditions more than a few seconds is not acceptable.

Lemon law in your state ? Maybe give the bike back and get a used, but in good shape with low mileage 2018 model.

Seems to me the best year.
Working GPS
Newer hand controls

What isn't there, can't break....
No Cylinder shut off system
No ride modes

Just to name a few things....

Cu,
Sven
The cylinder deactivation system is a must out here in AZ.

#12 ·
The basics are this:

Indian contracted out with Harmon Kardon, who offered them a cool platform for an infotainment Nav system. Harmon is a half assed company only interested in quarterly earnings. They are in no hurry to make the Ride Command bug free. It took them 3 years to fix the infotainment system on the Yamaha Eluder/Venture bikes. Indian is a small volume company to Harmon, so they are not too worried about good support to them. Harmon has run some of the companies they own into the ground.

So, Harmon probably under contract only to provide yearly software updates.

#13 ·
The basics are this:

Indian contracted out with Harmon Kardon, who offered them a cool platform for an infotainment Nav system. Harmon is a half assed company only interested in quarterly earnings. They are in no hurry to make the Ride Command bug free. It took them 3 years to fix the infotainment system on the Yamaha Eluder/Venture bikes. Indian is a small volume company to Harmon, so they are not too worried about good support to them. Harmon has run some of the companies they own into the ground

So, Harmon probably under contract only to provide yearly software updates.
Yes, I was just having this discussion with the service manager yesterday, also since mine is an Elite they are checking to see if there is an Elite only software as the Elite comes with the four speaker 400 watt radio, tire pressure monitoring and a few other things the other bikes don't have off the showroom.

The Service Manager was sharing a story about a Jacket Daniel's Edition bike needing a new motor, the replacement motor he got was all chome and the JD bike motor is all blacked out, so Polaris has their own issues as well.

How do you think I got the new ride command, they shipped it out in the wrong box, it was supposed to be a dash for a Polaris Ranger in the box. Only waited since September for the ride command.

#14 ·
Just got an update from Polaris..

"We noticed a delay and the time it takes to respond varies from bike to bike, and since you don't use these settings that often we don't see an issue".

Personally for me, after six months of battling this issue this is not an appropriate fix for my bike. They advertise all the tech of the Ride Command but don't actually care if it works or not.

Still remains to be seen if the auto dim, auto volume, and a few other things work once I ride the bike.

#15 ·
Just got an update from Polaris..

"We noticed a delay and the time it takes to respond varies from bike to bike, and since you don't use these settings that often we don't see an issue".

Personally for me, after six months of battling this issue this is not an appropriate fix for my bike. They advertise all the tech of the Ride Command but don't actually care if it works or not.

Still remains to be seen if the auto dim, auto volume, and a few other things work once I ride the bike.

Correct, and as long as they sell bikes, which they are. They don't care.

#16 ·
I just bought a new pursuit, same issues, speakers pop, ride command system reboots, sometimes the screen stays dark, volume controls stop working, volume increases on it's own....... traded my chieftain dark horse for this new bike, never had an issue with anything on the chief. Now I have an expensive bike that rides nice but can't use any of the audio features reliably. going in for my 4th attempted fix in August, pushing for a new system but Polaris has to authorize it they say. Totally disappointed!!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.